14 posts in this topic

Posted

Ninety percent of Americans say they've prematurely discarded food because they misinterpreted the "sell by," "use by" and "best before" dates on products, and the confusion is costing consumers billions, a new study finds.

According to the study, conducted by the Natural Resources Defense Council and Harvard Food Law and Policy Clinic, many Americans incorrectly assume the date stamped on packaged food indicates when it will go bad instead of what it really is

Posted

And then you have things like chopped bagged salads which have the dates on them but once you open the bag you only have 2-4 days before they start to go bad regardless of the date on the bag.

Posted

And then you have things like chopped bagged salads which have the dates on them but once you open the bag you only have 2-4 days before they start to go bad regardless of the date on the bag.

What do you expect though? I mean, it clearly states on the packaging how long you should keep it after opening.

Posted

There are a lot of issues with the food industry here. There are no regulations, half-regulations, and inconsistencies everywhere in the grocery store. It really does need a complete overhaul. Though, consumer education is always a good thing too.

Posted

Ninety percent of Americans say they've prematurely discarded food because they misinterpreted the "sell by," "use by" and "best before" dates on products, and the confusion is costing consumers billions, a new study finds.

How can they make that any clearer?

Posted

If it doesn't smell and is not green, I eat it. :p

Posted

If it doesn't smell and is not green, I eat it. :p

Same here. :D

Posted

What do you expect though? I mean, it clearly states on the packaging how long you should keep it after opening.

Oh I know, I work in the Produce (Fruits / Veggies) department.

Posted

How can they make that any clearer?

I assume because Best Before is unclear as in best if sold before or best if consumed before.

And then, how long will it actually last at your home after the "Sell By" date.  Sell by just means don't leave it on the store shelves until then.  (Typically not fresh stuff)

Posted

Whats not to understand, the "Sell by" dates merely recommend how much shelf life a food item has, even though non-perishable items can last much longer than the date specifies, Milk and other perishables however are only good for about a week before going bad, unless you freeze it.

Posted

Odd how they give the homeless stuff past the sell-by date. :huh:

Posted

It boggles my mind that so many people have problems with this:

The sell by date is for the company selling the item, *Sell by this date to allow customers a few days to eat it*, after this point product is usually discounted up until the use by/best before date.

The use by date is used by food items that have a consistent rate of spoiling from creating/packaging.

The best before date is used for items that have an varying rate of spoiling, these items can usually last much longer if sealed up after use like bread.

The golden rule for me is.. if it smells or looks funky its time to bin it :P

Posted

I Just give it the sniff test and the visual inspection.

A friend of mine refused to use an "Hamburger helper" In a box that expired. All the box contains is noodles and seasoning. I really can't see how either could expire, regardless of the use by date! Have you ever seen a rotten uncooked noodle?

Posted

Odd how they give the homeless stuff past the sell-by date. :huh:

You can go buy bread and pastries past the sell-by date at our local thrift store.