• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:10

^ Nope. My 930 boots faster than that..

I've got it running on a SATA2 port to boot >.>

#17 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:11

Soluto says my desktop is responsive after 15 seconds and I've got a pretty poor SSD.

2600K @ Stock (I got an awful chip)

8GB 1666Mhz RAM

Agility 3 120GB SSD

Is that 18 seconds from the powered off state? Because boot times from a restart are slower.

#18 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:14

For me with an i7 ivy bridge, 8GB of RAM and Samsung 830 SSD (128GB version) with an MSI Z77-G65 motherboard (im aware my sig says different, I have two systems and i7 and an i5 based on the same design)

Windows has started up:

Boot Duration : 17748ms

IsDegradation : false

Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2013‎-‎09-23T 12:00:06.624800300Z

#19 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:14

I don't trust Soluto's metrics - it says 1m54s till my desktop becomes responsive - which is very inaccurate. I timed the boot, from the press of the power button, I get to my desktop in about 28 seconds (including POST), and it's responsive immediately. I have a lot of programs starting up, so that seems to be throwing it off. 

#20 Arkos Reed

Arkos Reed

The Slayer of Gods

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:16

Boot speed on my main rig has slightly degraded with Windows 8.1, it used to be in the 15/16s ballpark, now more like 18/22s

#21 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:24

And here I'm thinking my old laptop was slow. Core 2 Duo, takes 23 sec.

To me, your boot time seems normal devnulllore :)

acxy40Ga.jpg

#22 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:27

"- it says 1m54s till my desktop becomes responsiv"

So what does your event log say for your boot up.  BTW my times are all restarts not cold.. neufuse - 17 seconds in eventlog boot is quite fast..  So I assume you load almost nothing?

This is where such benchmarks become pointless to be honest - we are all running different apps, different start items, etc.

traystuff.png

Clearly the ssds drastically increase performance of the drive and allow for much faster access, etc.  And your not going to see a standard HDD system boot this fast.  But to be honest what does it matter if its 10 seconds or 45 seconds..  I rarely reboot my machine - updates or install of something be it software or hardware.

But day to day it would not matter if machine took 10 minutes to boot up.. Because its just on 24/7 anyway.

#23 OP devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:49

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to reply to you kind folks. I had not seen any reply before I posted my 1st poke with the information I found.

Yes I am using an SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW for both my Boot and Game drives. My Boot is a 128G as I have found over the year I never even use that when I was installing my games on the boot drive.

As for how I am timing it I start a stop watch as soon as I see the post screen and press stop as soon as the Windows 8 lock screen is visible. The average over 20 boots is 18 seconds. I am getting more and more familiar with the Asus UEFI BIOS and have it flashed with the latest available on the Asus site (v.2003). That said this bios is massive and many of the advanced setting elude me so I do not touch them. A tech at Asus, who has sort of nurse maided me through older boards has given me a few minor setting that have reduced load time a bit but they seem trivial.

Is anyone familiar enough with this board to give me a good idea on what is needed under very basic Windows 8 usage and what I can disable? I do no overclocking at all and do not plan to anytime soon.

In the event manager the latest boot time line shows this:

Boot Duration: 30849ms

I can only assume the system is counting the time from when the kernel is loaded until all serviced, devices and applications are loaded, but I really don't know.

How then can I get this system to boot to its potential? Quite frankly it is night and day compared to my last system which I was posting about 5 times a week for, (my eternal thanks to Budman for helping me keep that Frankenstein monster alive as long as I did).

I have free access to Soluto as I was a user from their very beginning so I can try that again. It never did much for my last system but maybe it will for this one.

So after reading all your posts I am going to setup Soluto and setup auto login and report back what I can for boot times.

Thanks for this amazing information,

#24 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:59

Why have more than needed?

I don't like hidden icons so I've only hidden some of the system icons because I never use any of them.

The first ícon from the left is annoying. But there's no way to disable it other than using msconfig or regedit. I'm not sure how it affects the use of the software so I just keep it there and sometimes I just right-click and shut it down.

ckoi.png

ISO 8601 is the best!

#25 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 23 September 2013 - 13:11

"- it says 1m54s till my desktop becomes responsiv"

So what does your event log say for your boot up.  BTW my times are all restarts not cold.. neufuse - 17 seconds in eventlog boot is quite fast..  So I assume you load almost nothing?

This is where such benchmarks become pointless to be honest - we are all running different apps, different start items, etc.

attachicon.giftraystuff.png

Clearly the ssds drastically increase performance of the drive and allow for much faster access, etc.  And your not going to see a standard HDD system boot this fast.  But to be honest what does it matter if its 10 seconds or 45 seconds..  I rarely reboot my machine - updates or install of something be it software or hardware.

But day to day it would not matter if machine took 10 minutes to boot up.. Because its just on 24/7 anyway.

28413 ms. I always do cold starts these days. I load lots of programs on startup - because SSD's are fast, and I'd rather have my commonly used apps started up. The big ones are Steam, AIM, Mediamonkey, and a few other tray programs (Coretemp, GPUz, Basis Sync, Synology Data Replicator Go Pro Cineform software, Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Play Music, Epson crap). I'm sure there are plenty more that I don't remember. I usually turn my computer on and then get coffee, so boot times don't really matter as much. 

#26 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2013 - 13:16

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to reply to you kind folks. I had not seen any reply before I posted my 1st poke with the information I found.

Yes I am using an SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW for both my Boot and Game drives. My Boot is a 128G as I have found over the year I never even use that when I was installing my games on the boot drive.

As for how I am timing it I start a stop watch as soon as I see the post screen and press stop as soon as the Windows 8 lock screen is visible. The average over 20 boots is 18 seconds. I am getting more and more familiar with the Asus UEFI BIOS and have it flashed with the latest available on the Asus site (v.2003). That said this bios is massive and many of the advanced setting elude me so I do not touch them. A tech at Asus, who has sort of nurse maided me through older boards has given me a few minor setting that have reduced load time a bit but they seem trivial.

Is anyone familiar enough with this board to give me a good idea on what is needed under very basic Windows 8 usage and what I can disable? I do no overclocking at all and do not plan to anytime soon.

In the event manager the latest boot time line shows this:

Boot Duration: 30849ms

I can only assume the system is counting the time from when the kernel is loaded until all serviced, devices and applications are loaded, but I really don't know.

How then can I get this system to boot to its potential? Quite frankly it is night and day compared to my last system which I was posting about 5 times a week for, (my eternal thanks to Budman for helping me keep that Frankenstein monster alive as long as I did).

I have free access to Soluto as I was a user from their very beginning so I can try that again. It never did much for my last system but maybe it will for this one.

So after reading all your posts I am going to setup Soluto and setup auto login and report back what I can for boot times.

Thanks for this amazing information,

Upgrade the motherboard firmware to the latest version.

Go through all the settings in the motherboard menus and turn off legacy settings such as XHCI hand-off or BIOS/UEFI controlled power management. Give as much control to the OS as possible.

Enable XMP and all other advanced features that will increase speed or lower the power usage when possible. AHCI has to be turned on unless you run RAID. All settings with "legacy" should be disabled.

Also, make sure that you install the OS in UEFI mode by booting the installation disc through the UEFI boot loader found on the disc and not the standard boot loader.

In the installation program, let the program convert from legacy MBR partition table to GPT. Let it add system partitions by itself.

So, once the installation is done, the first things to install are the drivers.

Get the Intel INF Installation Utility.

Get the Intel RST (Rapid Storage) to get the latest AHCI drivers.

Keep the amount of background programs to a bare minimum unless you really need the nifty features provided.

UEFI does make an impact on Windows boot duration and it's overall superior when it comes to the available for the OS to take control of the computer.

If you don't feel like reinstalling the whole primary hard drive, you can just skip that and dig through all the settings in the UEFI menus and install the latest drivers from Intel.

#27 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 September 2013 - 14:03

exactly, I have the basics I absolutely need... no real extra services that don't need to be there (besides the system critical ones), anything that could be a security risk is disabled (the old disable it if you don't use it and know for sure you don't need it motto).. that was just one boot time though from today, previous boots have been as high as 24 seconds, and as low as 16 seconds... it's never the same time twice

I'm also running in a pure UEFI mode, no legacy bios... not sure if that is speeding up driver loads or anything since I am using GOP and other UEFI protocols

#28 OP devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 23 September 2013 - 14:39

Hi,

Well after trying some suggestions (except Resident Elites yet)and installing Soluto it reports this:

boot.jpg

Which looks pretty good to me. Anyway I am not going to get too much more into it but I do already have the latest bios and will look into the suggestions by Resident Elite.

Thanks for the help,

#29 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 19:23

27 seconds to responsive desktop seems slow to me with your newer system and an OS that is suppose to boot faster.

I have the same SSD disk, so should be seeing same speed on that. Unless your loading a lot of stuff, you should be faster than my old system running old bios, not uefi on old I5 cpu from 2011.

Are you not getting the performance out of the SSD that you should be - what is your benchmarks from samsung magician show?

#30 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 23 September 2013 - 21:53

Why have more than needed?

I don't like hidden icons so I've only hidden some of the system icons because I never use any of them.

The first ícon from the left is annoying. But there's no way to disable it other than using msconfig or regedit. I'm not sure how it affects the use of the software so I just keep it there and sometimes I just right-click and shut it down.

ckoi.png

ISO 8601 is the best!

What program is on the far left that you find so annoying?  If you don't use it why don't you uninstall it, or disable the service via services.msc.