windows 8 warning for old games.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 May 2014 - 17:18

You're not likely to see MS put any work towards DirectDraw ever again. 

Microsoft DirectDraw has been deprecated. Deprecated components of Microsoft DirectX 9.0 for Managed Code are considered obsolete. While these components are still supported in this release of DirectX 9.0 for Managed Code, they may be removed in the future. When writing new applications, you should avoid using these deprecated components. When modifying existing applications, you are strongly encouraged to remove any dependency on these components.

#62 Vince800

Vince800

Neowinian

Posted 29 May 2014 - 20:22

That's been the case since Vista and probably before. It just seems odd that it works more reliably in Vista & 7 than it does in 8. It really does seem as if something has unintentionally been changed to prevent the games from running at the correct speed. It's pitiful that some of those games work smoother using WINE in Linux than they do on Windows which has DirectX built in which is supposed to be fully backwards compatible. It's understandable that it won't be updated anymore but something which has been in place since Vista should be working. If not then why allow DirectX9 & old games to run at all? Why not just display the compatibilty popup that the application is not compatible.

#63 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 29 May 2014 - 20:50

Please don't bump this anymore if there's nothing new to add. They're not going to rewrite DirectX and revive DirectDraw for a few 10 year old games.

#64 Brad Bodnaruk

Brad Bodnaruk

Neowinian

Posted 29 May 2014 - 21:03

Just grab a copy of XP and throw it in a VM, pretty much any dated game would run fine with the VM's display driver.

okay, how do you setup, use or make work a VM anyways. You need a course to figure that out I think. Everybody says to do this, but where do you start?

#65 ShadowMajestic

ShadowMajestic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 May 2014 - 21:21

okay, how do you setup, use or make work a VM anyways. You need a course to figure that out I think. Everybody says to do this, but where do you start?

http://www.tomshardw...virtualbox.html

I use it for older games and it works great for those that don't want to work on Windows 8 (most games I still play still work or have newer/updated versions (GOG.com for example))

#66 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 May 2014 - 21:24

Microsoft provide a free XP Virtual Box emulator

http://lifehacker.co...ee-in-windows-8

Please don't bump this anymore if there's nothing new to add. They're not going to rewrite DirectX and revive DirectDraw for a few 10 year old games.

Well the above post was useful for me!