windows 8 warning for old games.

My Wii U doesn't have a slot for my NES cartridges!  Wii U SUCKS! 

That's how logical you sound right now. 

If wii u initially initially supported nes cardbridges , and then dropped support, some people would be unhappy.

Additionally there's a difference with hardware and software based support :

no one forced microsoft to completely remove the dx7 support, I'm not convinced that keeping dx7 has any additional cost (i.e more work from them or whatever).

If wii u initially initially supported nes cardbridges , and then dropped support, some people would be unhappy.

Additionally there's a difference with hardware and software based support :

no one forced microsoft to completely remove the dx7 support, I'm not convinced that keeping dx7 has any additional cost (i.e more work from them or whatever).

DX7 is obsolete and useless to the majority of users, no point in MS wasting the money maintaining compatibility for a tiny subset of users, just holds back things and will cause more issues than not, use a VM or find an old PC if you must play the games for nostalgic reasons

good for you but how does that even make sense in this thread? there are tons of work arounds to get these ancient games working, and to be honest there is no reason to support dx7 and below. again im asking you with a straight face how this could make gaming worse?

I thought DX10. I agree DX7 is too old to hold on

you are right if dx7

Carmageddon (1&2) were both so awesome.

• Carmageddon
  • Carmageddon 2: Carpocylpse Now
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Half Life (non steam)
  • Blue Shift (non steam)
    Any trick to making these work on Win 8 x64? Or just install normally and its fine? :)

So a new Windows release as big as Windows 8 would require a rewrite of older DirectX versions? I don't see why that would have to happen - I thought DirectX always had legacy support as part of its binary. For example: on XP with dx9 installed, dx7 APIs would still be accessible to older games requiring them. dx9 APIs were only used by newer games supporting them. dx7 APIs in the dx9 release wouldn't have been updated in any way.

The trouble with game emulation through VirtualBox is inefficiency - it would chew up system resources (as most processing would be done in software), wasting energy. Or can it now directly "connect" to a graphics card and use "advanced" features? I presume they've fixed the issue where there was a 50% CPU load all the time even when idle, when running Windows OSs (XP and older) through VirtualBox.

I still occasionally enjoy playing the games from my younger years - for that, I use an old laptop. Most wouldn't support a 1920x1080 24" monitor!

Do Age of Empires I and II still run on Windows 8?

it still uses more processor in virtual then in actual windows. was playing sim city 2000 windows version in vmware player and cpu sat 25-50.

there is reason to believe that dwm.exe in windows 8 could be to blame.

directdraw never got along very well with dwm even in windows 7. but it behaved most of the time. sometimes color issues.

but in windows 8 dwm was rewritten to work with metro/modern apps. it seems to completely break compatibility with directdraw.

also was reported that framework code that uses directdraw is running slow on windows 8.

games that where made with game maker crash on window 8. has to do with sound causing crashes. but some indie dev are not updating the games to work . they have to purchase the newer version that works to remake the games

I haven't really had any issues with older games not running in Windows 8, just the usual stuff that hasn't run since Vista.

I find that VMware Player is very good with games, I'm not sure what sort of systems other people have got in this thread but I've not really experienced any performance issues playing games in VMware.

Carmageddon (1&2) were both so awesome.

• Carmageddon
  • Carmageddon 2: Carpocylpse Now
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Half Life (non steam)
  • Blue Shift (non steam)

Any trick to making these work on Win 8 x64? Or just install normally and its fine? :)

Unreal Tournament driver stuff was always here http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ , you have there OpenGL and DirectX9 updated versions, personally i think OpenGL one its better

DOSBox SVN Daum

using newest version

wont run with openglhq in windows 8. as soon as doxbox starts it stops responding.

no problem in windows 7.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

It's not future thinking, it's simply lazy coding. It's not that hard to implement a few legacy calls to allow old DirectX techs to continue working... [Hint : Alchemy]

(Much like Creative fixed the sound issue for Vista and above)

Alchemy never really fixed the Audigy 2 series problems, it put a bandaid at best on some things but thats it. They left many customers (including myself) out in the cold so to speak...

The best really came from here: http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6&s=bccbcff6fcf90413ad3a54a6b9cdaf94 and even then those patched drivers werent the best (obviously, the fixes were very patchy and work has done with what was avaliable)

On topic, I believe asking older games to play in a 10+ year operating system with 10+ technology is just wasted resources and focus. DX7 was released on February 17, 2000. Windows 8 was released on October 26, 2012. We are talking 12 years. The changes that have happened in 12 years are amazing.

Guys you're definitely on to something. I tried Windows 7 on my PC today and it's the first time in over a year I've used it on this hardware. You're right, the old games are definitely running more effectively on Windows 7 than they were on Windows 8. GTA III there is a huge noticeable difference when running under Windows 7. Amazing.

why is windows 8 locking old games at 30fps?

SimCity 4 runs at 11-30fps in windows 8

in windows 7 800+fps

At a guess its because Windows 8 downclocks the cpu and gpu if there is little load on the system

Midtown Madness 2 is also much, much smoother under Windows 7. I wonder if it's something to do with the fact that DWM is constantly running on W8 whereas Vista/7 turn it off on fullscreen games.

• 2 weeks later...

it was a joke. hell bleem doesnt even run on NT.

Actually, with workarounds, bleem! could indeed run on NT (as far back as NT 4 Workstation, which didn't even have rudimentary DirectX support until the controversial - for other reasons - Service Pack 4).

However, it was Windows 2000 Professional that really stepped up as the gamer's workstation OS.  (It was the combination of gaming support and scary-solid crash-resistance that got me to crossgrade to it from 98 Second Edition.)

windows 2000 ran faster on my compaq presario 7360 then windows 98 did, which by then it was already upgrade 320mb memory and nvidia tnt and soundblaster audigy. thing ran great