Nice job, article writer. ;)

#17 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

• 993 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:15

Judge "slaps" mom...

Nice job, article writer. ;)

Obviously the writer likes puns.. I sure do!

#18 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:09

the purpose of spanking is to instill Fear that can be utilized for Stockholm Syndrome, in smaller scale.

Incorrect; the purpose of spanking is to teach corrective behaviour to children when they are at an age where reasoning cannot work.

However, if the spanking leaves lasting physical marks, then it becomes abuse.

#19 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• 3,012 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z3

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:25

It's always abuse, and should be punished every time. You are not allowed to hit an adult, why should you be allowed to hit a child, just because it's yours?

Did you not read the part where she used a belt to punish? Back in the 80's it was normal, either a belt or a small branch from a tree and most people grew up better then they are now. But I guess it's normal that children can sue parents for punishing them now. What a load of crap. As a part of that I would have told that judge to ###### off and not to tell me how to raise my children as well.

#20 ranasrule

ranasrule

Feel the RAWpower !!!

• 3,432 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:26

did he died ???

on a serious note....Spanking is a great tool if used correctly....new age parenting is the reason for todays self-entitled,lazy, disrespectful youth

#21 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,929 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:28

However, if the spanking leaves lasting physical marks, then it becomes abuse.

Usually, but not always. It's a grey area.

In the threat of immediate danger requiring immediate correction of behavior then I don't think it's out of the realm of a concerned parent to accidentally take it too far. Accidents happen. Bruises heal. If my kid is trying to insert a fork into a plugged in toaster I might accidentally bruise his sorry little butt. At least he isn't dead. Some may say that that is an unnecessary amount of force but in the heat of the moment when your child might actually die it's hard to control the smack to the butt. And they'll quickly learn to never pull that crap again!

#22 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:33

Oh, I agree.  But if there's regular bruising, it's clearly abuse.

#23 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• 3,012 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:35

Oh, I agree.  But if there's regular bruising, it's clearly abuse.

Or just means the kid is an spoiled brat and doesn't learn from his mistakes. So what the parent should now just "give up" and let the kid do what he wants? Believe it or not the "take away cellphones etc" don't always work, in fact it rarely does. 

I mean the occasional red stripes on your behind not that the kid is beaten silly daily.

#24 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,158 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:37

yep, the concept are titled: Traumatizing your child to teach'em how to behaves, and its works.

The similar method also used by farmers against their livestocks, like horses, sheeps, or cows.

#25 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• 3,012 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:42

Yep, all the kids from the 80s and the start of the 90s who were raised like that are so traumatized that we all need psychiatric help daily or we couldn't live on. Can't tell if you are serious or...

#26 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:42

yep, the concept are titled: Traumatizing your child to teach'em how to behaves, and its works.

The similar method also used by farmers against their livestocks, like horses, sheeps, or cows.

You clearly don't have children.

You try explaining to a 2 year old that running out into the street is dangerous, or that trying to drink from the bleach bottle will hurt them, or the countless other deadly things in this world that can very quickly hurt, maim or kill them.

Maybe after their funeral you'll realise that toddlers cannot be reasoned with and that -sometimes-, the only way to keep them safe is with negative reinforcement.

#27 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,158 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:53

You clearly don't have children.

You try explaining to a 2 year old that running out into the street is dangerous, or that trying to drink from the bleach bottle will hurt them, or the countless other deadly things in this world that can very quickly hurt, maim or kill them.

Maybe after their funeral you'll realise that toddlers cannot be reasoned with and that -sometimes-, the only way to keep them safe is with negative reinforcement.

Thankfully, They don't need to meet their funeral, they my in-laws' child.
and as I said before, the method is working.

But as they grow up, they became fearful of me. They obey me but simply because they fear me.

My in-laws told me: "Whenever i came to visit, their children became obedient."

Seriously I do not know how to respond to it, human children are not supposed to be a livestocks, are they?

#28 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:12

Spanking with hand - I'm split over this, but think it may be reasonable in some cases.

Spanking with a belt is just cruel and unnecessary. 

#29 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:26

Thankfully, They don't need to meet their funeral, they my in-laws' child.
and as I said before, the method is working.

But as they grow up, they became fearful of me. They obey me but simply because they fear me.

My in-laws told me: "Whenever i came to visit, their children became obedient."

Seriously I do not know how to respond to it, human children are not supposed to be a livestocks, are they?

My children only ever got spanked when they were small and when they endangered themselves.  It was only ever 1 single smack, on the bottom (not bare) and accompanied with a very sharp "NO! BAD!"  They learned very quickly that some things were bad and stopped doing it.  I haven't needed to smack either of my kids since they were 4 and they're good and polite kids who don't get into trouble at school.  

They're not perfect, they're not angels. They're typical kids who squabble and all sorts and get either grounded or privileges revoked. That's the -right- to punish someone who you can reason with, but toddlers just don't understand reason and you have to keep them safe somehow.

Spanking with hand - I'm split over this, but think it may be reasonable in some cases.

Spanking with a belt is just cruel and unnecessary. 

I agree.  Anyone using a weapon like a belt or a switch to "punish" a child is an abusive scum.  A sharp slap on the bum, enough to cause an ouch and a few tears, are more than enough to make the child realise they did wrong.  The key is to be consistent, and once the crying stops, to THEN tell them why it's bad and provide hugs.

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 18:30

I was even told a story several times about how my grandmother would make her kids go get a branch off a tree for her to use in spanking them. If they got one that was to small they would have to go get another one and it would be much worse.

My mom actually did that sometimes.