19 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,135 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 23 September 2013 - 20:08

Android is five years old today

Remember the Googlephone? It was a mythical device that was obsessively rumored in the months after Apple launched the iPhone. Exactly five years ago today, Google unveiled the project that had been the source of all the rumors: its Android mobile operating system, along with the first Android smartphone, the T-Mobile G1. (It was also the day that Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page rollerbladed to the New York launch event from Grand Central Station.)

Des Smith, a member of the original Android team, remembers the launch well. "We had been working for months and months with a small team in Building 44 in Mountain View, CA," he wrote in a commemorative post on Google+. "I was so excited I couldn't sleep." The original Android team included Hiroshi Lockheimer, Keva Nelson, David Conway, Grace Kloba, Peisun Wu, Erick Tseng, German Bauer, and of course former Android chief Andy Rubin.

No one was quite sure what to expect from Google that day. Most were betting that Google would release a phone, but few expected Google to reveal a mobile operating system that anyone could use. "It felt a bit like a new era for the mobile industry," The Verge's Paul Miller wrote at the time at Engadget.

The G1 has faded from memory, but Android has had a lasting impact. The open source operating system has launched more than a billion devices, including cameras, televisions, smartwatches, and game consoles. It's been a boon to the open source developer community in addition to making mobile giant Samsung rich off its popular Android-powered devices. Now, Android is the largest smartphone operating system in the world. "And this is just the beginning," Smith wrote.

Source: The Verge

#2 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

• 2,867 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 20:20

:-/

Not sure how I feel about this.

Windows sucked more five years after it came out than Android does right now, but at least Android had the benefit of learning from the mistakes made on computers, phones and tablets.  *And* it's built on top of Linux, which gives it a longer history still.

So yeah, it's made great strides in terms of popularity when it comes to phones/tablets, essentially taking the market, but it certainly doesn't feel like a product that's had 5 years worth of polish IMO.

If I sound like a hater, it's only because I want it to be so much better.

#3 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 2,952 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 20:32

Imagine a world whre there is only one mobile OS.

A lot of us saw it with Windows and we saw some bad times where IE development stopped and developers became lazy.

Any company is going to become lazy when faced with no competion.  Fan boys are so stupid, they stop everything they love.

Competition breeds inovation and if we ever forget that then shame on us.

#4 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 23 September 2013 - 20:38

:-/

Not sure how I feel about this.

Windows sucked more five years after it came out than Android does right now, but at least Android had the benefit of learning from the mistakes made on computers, phones and tablets.  *And* it's built on top of Linux, which gives it a longer history still.

So yeah, it's made great strides in terms of popularity when it comes to phones/tablets, essentially taking the market, but it certainly doesn't feel like a product that's had 5 years worth of polish IMO.

If I sound like a hater, it's only because I want it to be so much better.

To each their own.. in my opinion Android is the best mobile OS out there.  Not sure what else is needed :/

#5 Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu

moo

• 1,500 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 21:25

Without Android, we'd all be stuck with iphones, imagine that! :unsure:

#6 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,251 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 21:37

Release or Unveil? Because it was unveiled in 2007

#7 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• 3,580 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 23 September 2013 - 22:05

I've used Android from 2.1 on a HTC Desire, its certainly improved a lot since then. I used to think stock Android looked like like Windows 95, then HTC Sense added all the nice UI elements Windows 7 had. However Since 4.0 I wouldn't want to use anything else except stock Android though.

Here's to see what the next 5 years bring (Y)

#8 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,154 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 23 September 2013 - 22:12

i'm a proud user. congrats Android team

#9 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,651 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 23 September 2013 - 22:38

Congrats Google. Best phone OS.

#10 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:09

Happy Birthday Android. Best mobile OS (to me) out there right now. Hard to believe in 5 years it went from nothing to world domination.

#11 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,408 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:23

:fun:  Party on, Google!

#12 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,627 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:31

It's alright. I mean it's the best there is, but it's still just 'alright'.

I'm hoping Ubuntu's Mobile OS makes things better, if that's even still a thing.

#13 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,576 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:33

Second Android for me and I have to say I'm pleased. I made a huge mistake the first time around when going with some Huawei single core 800mhz cpu and 256mb of ram, that kinda left a sour taste in my mouth but guess it was my mistake after all. (Was on 2.1) 

Here's for another 5 and more! :woot:

#14 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:45

The reason for Android's success is they got in the mobile phone market just at the right time. Android did a lot of things right as well which contributed to it's success.

#15 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,576 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:53

The reason for Android's success is they got in the mobile phone market just at the right time. Android did a lot of things right as well which contributed to it's success.

Also don't forget the cheap price from OEM's.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!