• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:55

Version 4.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:

New Features:

• A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV
  • A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
  • Support for USB keyboards
  • An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
  • Support for Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound when playing Wii software
Changes to Wii U Menu:
  • Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List
Changes to System Settings:
  • An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under “Internet”
  • A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through “TV”
  • Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
  • A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under “Power Settings” when Standby Functions are enabled
Changes to Wii U Chat:
  • Added the option to view a friend’s profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
  • Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad
Changes to Internet Browser:
  • Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
  • Holding the R Button will speed up video playback Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login
  • Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots Added support for viewing PDF files
  • Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent
Improvements to system stability and usability:
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

http://www.kotaku.co...irmware-update/

-----

Wii U Firmware 3.0.1

#2 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:57

It's more like an OS update than a firmware update ...

#3 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:29

While it's kinda cool to have wii games support off tv play, why couldn't they make the gamepad appear as a classic controller pro to games that support it while in wii mode? Surely that couldn't be too hard.

#4 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:44

It's more like an OS update than a firmware update ...

I guess, for all intents and purposes, they are the same thing.

#5 Dirk

Dirk

What to put...

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:18

I hope the next one increases the menu speeds a bit more.  It still takes to long to do certain things.

#6 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 16:27

I guess its not great that this is the first I am hearing this (which means my Wii U has been off for at least 2 weeks).  Hoping the game titles pick up soon.  Going to buy Wii U party when its released.. hopefully that can hold me over for a bit.

#7 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 16:33

Still waiting for the big fall update that's suppose to overhaul the lag in the OS itself.

I do like the steady stream of improvements, Very glad to hear some Wii emulation improved, I was worried they given up on improving it already.

I'm still disappointed Wii U doesn't offer DVD playback or up converting Wii graphics (aware that this doesn't turn a SD game in to a next gen HD game).

#8 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:02

Still waiting for the big fall update that's suppose to overhaul the lag in the OS itself.

I do like the steady stream of improvements, Very glad to hear some Wii emulation improved, I was worried they given up on improving it already.

I'm still disappointed Wii U doesn't offer DVD playback or up converting Wii graphics (aware that this doesn't turn a SD game in to a next gen HD game).

Is that seriously even an issue for anyone in this day and age?

#9 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:08

Yeah, dealing with the lag should be a priority IMO. For a next gen console, the UI is slower than both the PS3 and Xbox 360, which is pretty bad.

As for the upscaling/dvd playback - personally, I haven't used a DVD in years. And your TV/receiver will do a much better job at upscaling than a games console (which already has lots to deal with).

#10 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:37

Is that seriously even an issue for anyone in this day and age?

Yeah, dealing with the lag should be a priority IMO. For a next gen console, the UI is slower than both the PS3 and Xbox 360, which is pretty bad.

As for the upscaling/dvd playback - personally, I haven't used a DVD in years. And your TV/receiver will do a much better job at upscaling than a games console (which already has lots to deal with).

It's not a make or break feature for me (I own / enjoy my Wii U) however I have an extensive Anime DVD collection, with a majority of it no longer licensed / not in print, or available for streaming.

I've also seen you tube video's of what the Dolphin Emulator can do with GameCube / Wii games, and it would be a feature that just requires a software solution, the hardware on the Wii U is capable of it. That's all.

I have a Mid range Tv and receiver, but neither offer up scaling the signal. 7.1 Ultra 2k/4k pass through stereo reciver, and 43" Plasma 3d tv. It's a interesting point that down the road buying equipment to upscale all lower video sources. It will be a while when I'm in the market for newer receiver / tv, but didn't think about that route. 

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:22

He probably meant up-render. the WiiU really should be able to render Wii games at 1080. certain UI elements will still be pixelated of course, but at least the game graphics should be able to be up rendered. 

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:33

4.0.2 & 4.0.3 patch notes:

System stability improvements and other adjustments
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user's experience.

http://en-americas-s...a_id/3070/p/431

#13 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:45

Glad to hear this. Is this the aforementioned Fall update which enhances the Wii U's performance?

#14 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:45

"Network IDs are also coming to 3DS and will be required in order to combine the aforementioned eShop balances"

...As well as allow users to use miiverse. This is the point of the ID. Its like a nintendo online account.

#15 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:50

"Network IDs are also coming to 3DS and will be required in order to combine the aforementioned eShop balances"

...As well as allow users to use miiverse. This is the point of the ID. Its like a nintendo online account.

As long as they get rid of those Friend Codes... I'll be supporting that decision anytime.