windows phone windows phone 8

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:51

I wish windows phone had a little desktop like Android does with the little icons on the screen. I don't like the tile interface that much to be honest.

I'm very picky about my interface and for me the live tiles is a huge turnoff.

#17 +primortal

primortal

Why Does It Hurt!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon (929)

Posted 01 October 2013 - 18:01

I wish windows phone had a little desktop like Android does with the little icons on the screen. I don't like the tile interface that much to be honest.

Live tiles have three sizes, small (icon), medium and large (two column).  Small tile doesn't work for you?

#18 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 October 2013 - 18:55

My Nokia hanged up twice now within the past year.  You have to do this combiation with the volume and power to hard reset.

But yeah, the OS is garbage.

#19 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 October 2013 - 19:05

The only thing in OP that stood out for me is Crashes. That is definitely weird and not something expected. Are you sure your phone isn't a dud?

Everything else is mostly know limitations and rants about why WP is not Android/iOS. Nothing wrong about it but it's not right either.

#20 beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 01 October 2013 - 19:18

I will admit, it is a bit discomforting not having a centralized notification area on WP8, but personally it doesn't effect me. I can see the notifications for my Gmail, Hotmail, and text messaging inboxes on my lock screen and I have the tiles for all of them near the top of my Start screen, too. I've been using WP8 for about 3.5 weeks now and I haven't had any crashes.

#21 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 October 2013 - 19:24

There are a lot of fixes and features that people are talking about coming GDR3. I will say Microsoft has been doing a great job of updating WP8 this year. The thing that bugs me is that people complain that Microsoft isn't updating the OS enough or quick enough. I think they are rolling out updates more often than Apple or Google, though the issue is they launched the phone with as many features as iOS or Android had when they launched years back. They should have launched WP8 with the same if not more features than iOS or Google had. I've had my Lumia since January and couldn't be happier, but yeah when I look at some of the basic features iOS has had for years now that WP doesn't it does bug me

#22 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S i8750

Posted 01 October 2013 - 21:57

I've never had any issues with Windows Phone although I wonder why those of you who think it's "garbage" or "sucks" are still using it, just buy an Android or iOS device instead!!!

#23 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 October 2013 - 22:15

Yeah, I have a lumia 521 and I have the same issues. My next phone is defiantly going to be the next-gen Nexus 4. Overall, I'd give my WP a 6/10. :)

#24 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:16

@OP: I love my Lumia 928.  Apps don't crash on me hardly at all, if ever.  It's more likely I will exit an app by accidentally bumping the search when I'm trying to bring up options/settings.  Notifications irritate me; if it's not a new email, instant message/text, or an app that needs updated, I don't care, and all of those tiles are pinned at the top.  I don't want to share **** with Skype; I think Skype is too bloated as it is, and if they would integrate video chat with the built-in messenger then I could get rid of it completely.  Now, instead, whenever I get a message through messenger I have two notifications, one for messenger and one for Skype.  I can agree with the gestures thing, but I'm not fond of IE in general.  I deal with it on WP because there aren't any great alternatives.  However, there are alternatives, and the only way that Windows Phone is at fault here is that it doesn't allow you to set a default browser, so when you click on links they open in IE anyway, and that is irritating, because I prefer UC Browser (actually I'd would really prefer Firefox, but they don't make a WP version).  A notification center wouldn't be terrible, especially if it were a tile you could unpin if you didn't want it, but if you were keeping tabs on Windows Phone news you would know that it is coming.  It remains to be seen how functional or useful it will be.  I'm sorry you're experiencing frequent crashes, but that doesn't seem to be typical.  It may not matter, but do you have the Amber update installed?

#25 OP AWilliams87

AWilliams87

Neowinian

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:48

@OP: I love my Lumia 928.  Apps don't crash on me hardly at all, if ever.  It's more likely I will exit an app by accidentally bumping the search when I'm trying to bring up options/settings.  Notifications irritate me; if it's not a new email, instant message/text, or an app that needs updated, I don't care, and all of those tiles are pinned at the top.  I don't want to share **** with Skype; I think Skype is too bloated as it is, and if they would integrate video chat with the built-in messenger then I could get rid of it completely.  Now, instead, whenever I get a message through messenger I have two notifications, one for messenger and one for Skype.  I can agree with the gestures thing, but I'm not fond of IE in general.  I deal with it on WP because there aren't any great alternatives.  However, there are alternatives, and the only way that Windows Phone is at fault here is that it doesn't allow you to set a default browser, so when you click on links they open in IE anyway, and that is irritating, because I prefer UC Browser (actually I'd would really prefer Firefox, but they don't make a WP version).  A notification center wouldn't be terrible, especially if it were a tile you could unpin if you didn't want it, but if you were keeping tabs on Windows Phone news you would know that it is coming.  It remains to be seen how functional or useful it will be.  I'm sorry you're experiencing frequent crashes, but that doesn't seem to be typical.  It may not matter, but do you have the Amber update installed?

I believe I do. In settings, then extras + info section, it says Lumia Amber.

#26 BobSlob

BobSlob

Neowinian

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:51

I'm confused... you owned a Windows phone, then tried both Android and IOS, then went back to a Windows Phone. Now you're claiming it sucks?

I'd love to know what you think of offerings. Surely they must be worse than "sucks".

#27 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 6 128GB

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:54

When you mean crashes do you mean the whole screen freezes then reboots or requires a forced reset or are you still able to get back to the start screen? the reason why I ask is I used to have a Lumia 920 with the same problem and it appears that it is most likely a hardware fault and you probably need to take it in to get replaced.

#28 DarkyDan

DarkyDan

Neowinian

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:55

nyyyyeahh no.

If you don't have the app pinned.. it isn't important enough for you to get notifications.. turn them off for non important apps.

I just bought a Lumia 1020, as a replacement for my Galaxy Nexus.  It is an awesome phone utilising a very good OS (in my opinion)

A notification centre, and ability to close apps from the app switcher are 2 things I'm looking forward to in 8.1 however.

The only App that has crashed on me was Cloudmuzik, so I uninstalled it and used an alternative.

I have only used this phone for 3 days, perhaps some of the problems you mention will reveal themselves to me later... but I doubt it.

Gestures and voice commands aren't important, and they weren't available in any fantastic form in iOS 2 or Android doughnut.

Most of ops post seems to parallel the whinging that anti Windows 8 people do.  Most of it is yearning for a previous OS.. just go back to that previous OS.  It's not that hard.

#29 OP AWilliams87

AWilliams87

Neowinian

Posted 02 October 2013 - 00:00

When you mean crashes do you mean the whole screen freezes then reboots or requires a forced reset or are you still able to get back to the start screen? the reason why I ask is I used to have a Lumia 920 with the same problem and it appears that it is most likely a hardware fault and you probably need to take it in to get replaced.

I mean the app closes, then I have to restart it from the beginning. For example, a few seconds ago, I was playing UNO with friends. Right in the middle of it, the app froze for half a second, then closed. After I reopen the app, and it restarted everything. Everything I was doing prior was lost.

#30 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 02 October 2013 - 00:02

We'll see how much GDR3 and 8.1 bring to the table but it's a fact that it's quicker for someone to catch up on feature than to stay ahead with new ones.   WP will parallel the other two quicker than they can keep coming up with new things.   Branding aside this is really WP v2.2  (if you have GDR2 installed that is), while iOS is at 7 and Android is at 4.3.  We'll see where things stand in a few months.