• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,225 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:55

i had been using it as my daily driver for years however it looks like that trend has ended. Just re-installed Avast.

#32 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,415 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:04

Non compete??

#33 vf-

vf-

Patience, Lewis. We're only human.

• 865 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:16

Just don't use Trend IMO.

Explain please.

#34 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,517 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:18

I've been seeing a lot of people with issues with it of late.

There are better choices imo, so when you have a glut of choice, may as well take advantage of it :)

#35 vf-

vf-

• 865 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:19

What sort of issues. Some people will always have issues with no matter what it is.

#36 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:24

Avast free competes with paid for suites in detection rates and has done for the last 18 months.

Don't pay for AV because it's a massive con.  Yearly subscription tied to one machine, pay a premium to use it on other machines, bloated suites that include useless crap such as firewalls, credit card protection, family safety and so on.

If you're behind a router, you have a hardware firewall.  That's already ample protection for any home user.  Combine that with the Windows firewall and you're fine.  A third party software firewall will only add annoyance and bloat.

Also, why would you pay for something for a year that you only get full value from on the day of release? I haven't seen any company allow you to transfer your license to a new version.  Couple that with new threats that are constantly coming out that can obliterate a company's heuristic and detection engine month to month, why on earthy you shell out for an entire year?

The free engines get the most important updates and they're the most lightweight, stick with free versions.

#37 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,882 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:36

I use kasperskys Internet security, i think its good never had a problem or a virus with it.  used to use avast years ago and it was good but found nod32/ kaspersky better or at least it was years ago

#38 vf-

vf-

• 865 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:41

It's 2013 and some people still worry/talk about bloat?

#39 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,247 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:43

Other than "3rd party" AV companies pressuring MS, I don't see why they would let MSE effort fall short.

#40 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,517 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:47

What sort of issues. Some people will always have issues with no matter what it is.

Of course, but we are talking things like the software locking up and locking down net access. Client crashing on startup, stuff like that. Also, recently they started selling Trend Micro without a disk in the box, so people could download it.. Which is awesome if you have no internet connection at the time.

General stupid ###### >.< It's also a bit heavier than it used to be.

/shrugs

Avast free competes with paid for suites in detection rates and has done for the last 18 months.

Don't pay for AV because it's a massive con.  Yearly subscription tied to one machine, pay a premium to use it on other machines, bloated suites that include useless crap such as firewalls, credit card protection, family safety and so on.

If you're behind a router, you have a hardware firewall.  That's already ample protection for any home user.  Combine that with the Windows firewall and you're fine.  A third party software firewall will only add annoyance and bloat.

Also, why would you pay for something for a year that you only get full value from on the day of release? I haven't seen any company allow you to transfer your license to a new version.  Couple that with new threats that are constantly coming out that can obliterate a company's heuristic and detection engine month to month, why on earthy you shell out for an entire year?

The free engines get the most important updates and they're the most lightweight, stick with free versions.

Well, first things first:

Routers are not inherently firewalled. Nor is a NAT a firewall.

Most AV packages offer multi-device licenses, for instance, Trend/Norton both offer 5 user packs for $129 retail (in Aus we pay a huge mark up). We can sell it for about $60. That's not a con, that's $12 a license. Do agree with the bloat part though.

Norton and Trend both auto update you to the latest version. If you buy Norton, you get a year of coverage with whatever the latest client is. You sometimes have to trigger the update manually, but you do get it.

Free clients are equally susceptible to zero day attacks (by definition). Your entire point there is moronic.

The benefit of paid clients is that their updates tend to come out faster than free clients.

The free engines aren't inherently lighter weight, or frequently updated.

Can I add, these companies doing free AV, ask yourself how they are still in business? If you can't work out what they're making money off of, they're making money off from you.

I use kasperskys Internet security, i think its good never had a problem or a virus with it.  used to use avast years ago and it was good but found nod32/ kaspersky better or at least it was years ago

It's a good client :) I like their research team, they publish often and well :)

#41 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,517 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:49

It's 2013 and some people still worry/talk about bloat?

There's still such a thing as bloat. Not all of us need credit card protection, or facebook protection.

Other than "3rd party" AV companies pressuring MS, I don't see why they would let MSE effort fall short.

If they couldn't write a secure OS, what makes you think they can plug the holes any better?

It's like asking an engineer why their building fell down. If they knew, they wouldn't have let it happen.

Also, I'm inclined to think there is some pressure to be had there >.>

#42 Sadelwo

Sadelwo

Neowinian

• 1,090 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 820

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:57

its like trying to wear 2 rubbers on top of each other. the friction will cause a break,then you will get infected with something pretty nasty.

Ha! I thought I was the only one to make that analogy to non technical people. When you say it like that they understand immediately. 
Now I just need one about installing toolbars...

#43 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,415 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 07 October 2013 - 13:14

Well webroot only takes up 2 mb of RAM.

#44 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,517 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 13:15

On its primary thread sure.

Also, using RAM isn't inherently bad. It's only when it wastes RAM that it's an issue.

It also uses your network connection more, so something of a trade off there.

#45 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,882 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 13:21

I think they did it as an effort to reduce infections for people who know nothing about computers then complain that there system is slowing down cus its full of malware then blaming MS cus there OS is "rubbish". Itll just be there as a crude implementation to help stop that happening but 3rd party AV will always be better