Do you think I can get $600-$650 for my launch edition PS4?

Considering how long the preorders were open on these, I doubt there will be a huge demand at Christmas time like the PS3 or Wii saw. 

But maybe! Good luck finding a legitimate buyer too, half of the ones that sell for a huge premium on Ebay are just scammers. 

It's a frowned upon tactic, but yes, as someone who couldn't be bothered to wait, will pay that kind of money

It's done with premium cars and such, all the time, but hey, if you can get away with it......

Be careful posting it on ebay though, they're cracking down on launch day games consoles

while i am not a fan of people that price gouge just to make a buck, as stated above, if the buyer is willing to pay the money rather than wait a few weeks then they are paying a convenience fee (or as we call it around here a stupid tax)

However, in regards to the OP (Showan) I will be waiting for Second sun prior to purchasing a PS4 myself. I am also a bit fearful of getting a first run PS4 as my First Run PS3 only lasted a few weeks before it crapped out.

while i am not a fan of people that price gouge just to make a buck, as stated above, if the buyer is willing to pay the money rather than wait a few weeks then they are paying a convenience fee (or as we call it around here a stupid tax)

However, in regards to the OP (Showan) I will be waiting for Second sun prior to purchasing a PS4 myself. I am also a bit fearful of getting a first run PS4 as my First Run PS3 only lasted a few weeks before it crapped out.

Didn't you demand and receive a new one under warranty? (a tactic I used)

They usually have at least 1 year warranty.. I would have just requested a replacement.  I am taking a chance with the PS4 I pre-ordered a launch edition.. never pre-ordered a console before.  I bought my PS3 about 8 months after release.

You are going to be able to easily get $1500 for it.. 

People slamming him for selling at an inflated price.. Stop hating.. If you needed/wanted the money and had an opportunity too, you would do it as well. Saying it isn't honest, is a bit of a stretch.. There are people out there that are too lazy to stand in line that make $500,000+ a year that would gladly pay $1500 for it if it makes them or their kid(s) happy. 

People slamming him for selling at an inflated price.. Stop hating.. If you needed/wanted the money and had an opportunity too, you would do it as well. Saying it isn't honest, is a bit of a stretch.. There are people out there that are too lazy to stand in line that make $500,000+ a year that would gladly pay $1500 for it if it makes them or their kid(s) happy. 

kindly specify these 'people slamming him'

kindly specify these 'people slamming him'

It is against the rules to "personally" attack people here.. But there are clearly two people that aren't happy with them doing this.. Not sure of the point of your post.. but ok ;)

It is against the rules to "personally" attack people here.. But there are clearly two people that aren't happy with them doing this.. Not sure of the point of your post.. but ok ;)

lol was just making sure I wasn't one of them

(asking someone why they are so against it isn't a personal attack just saying :) )

There's absolutely zero chance of that legitimately happening. 

A 50% markup before Christmas I can see, a 300% markup? GTFO of here.  :laugh:

There's absolutely zero chance of that legitimately happening. 

A 50% markup before Christmas I can see, a 300% markup? GTFO of here.  :laugh:

No thanks. You GTFO out of here.. This happens all the time, with the PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, ect.. 

http://www.1up.com/news/post-launch-ebay-auctions

another source,

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/22/technology/personaltech/xbox_ebay/

lol was just making sure I wasn't one of them

(asking someone why they are so against it isn't a personal attack just saying :) )

You asked me to call them out, not explain why. Your post was not slamming. 

I have to say I personally think its a little bad to take a pre-order away from someone just so you can make a quick buck. However it doesn't make you or me right - its just an opinion.

However people saying, if you had a chance to get some extra easy cash, would you. Again it depends on your view point, if someone lost their wallet with ?100 in it. Is it wrong for me to take it? I could use the view point, if they took better care of their possessions then this would be a problem, finders keepers. This is a very extreme example and I don't think they are, in reality comparable.

For a brief moment I thought I wasn't going to be able to get a day one edition of an Xbox and I was quite gutted at first. I hadn't been able to pre-order because i wasn't sure I could raise the cash in time. If I had missed out because someone wants to make money then, yes I feel a little cheated out of it.

Additionally - if people are willing to pay for it view point, people are willing to pay good money for their drug habbits, doesn't justify the dealers actions in anyway in my opinion. Again this is a very extreme example comparing a console to hardcore drugs but there are similarities such as exploiting a persons desire for your own gain.

I guess what I am trying to say is Just because you can, and pretend it's their fault - it doesn't make it OK to rip someone off because to me, essentially that is what you are doing. That's just my 2 cents and isn't any more right than someone with the complete opposite thoughts on this.

My advice would be to either cancel the pre-order or sell it for the price you paid for it, providing you don't open any of it.

I think it is horrible to sell it for an inflated price. It is like being a ticket tout.

However people saying, if you had a chance to get some extra easy cash, would you. Again it depends on your view point, if someone lost their wallet with ?100 in it. Is it wrong for me to take it?

Yes, that's illegal.

If I were you.. I'd sell you pre-ordered Xbone, might get more money for it.

Well if demand is as low as some claim for the X1, the ps4 would likely have the higher value if the supply is low.

Of course it could turn out to be just a replication of this gen, where both consoles were scalped for big money at launch.

No thanks. You GTFO out of here.. This happens all the time, with the PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, ect.. 

http://www.1up.com/news/post-launch-ebay-auctions

another source,

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/22/technology/personaltech/xbox_ebay/

I know very well how much they've sold for in the past, I had a launch Wii and considered selling it, and I'm telling you that with two consoles coming out at the same time, a huge window of preorder time, and the fact that a lot of those stories from when the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out didn't ever verify the sales or check that they were actually complete, getting more than a 50% markup on a launch PS4 is out of the question.

Which is still $650, which is what the OP asked about.

I know very well how much they've sold for in the past, I had a launch Wii and considered selling it, and I'm telling you that with two consoles coming out at the same time, a huge window of preorder time, and the fact that a lot of those stories from when the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out didn't ever verify the sales or check that they were actually complete, getting more than a 50% markup on a launch PS4 is out of the question.

Which is still $650, which is what the OP asked about.

I have to disagree with you on that. And, you should have stated more information in your post before telling someone to GTFO.. To say that with little or no explanation, is pretty rude. 

I have to disagree with you on that. And, you should have stated more information in your post before telling someone to GTFO.. To say that with little or no explanation, is pretty rude. 

I wasn't telling you to GTFO, it's an expression used when someone quotes an obscene sum of money.  :rofl:

If someone on Neowin sells one for $1500, I'll be more than happy to eat my hat. On the other hand, if the number of stories of people being robbed trying to sell launch consoles exceeds the number of people who sell them for 100% + markup, perhaps you'd be willing to eat yours?

Obviously people have done the math, if everyone could get a free $1000 by preordering, everyone would be doing it. I wouldn't have taken 90 days to sell out the preorders. On the other hand, if you can only sell it for $650, plus you pay fees selling it online, plus shipping, plus you have to hope the transaction goes fine, and you're going to buy another console anyway in the future, for the same price... I think most people will find that ends up being a wash, or a very small return for the amount of time involved.

The only consoles I see making Big Buck will be Day One Editions of the one and that will be in a few years, when most are either trashed, broken, or hard to come by.

I'm not doing this because I "need the money"... I am blessed with a pretty decent job...  $$$ is not the reason I am doing this.  If no one even bothers to buy this from me, then so be it.  I will just own a PS4 at launch.  I will just shuffle around the PS3 and use my PS4 as a Blu-Ray/entertainment device until Second Son comes out.  If someone does manage to buy this from me, I do plan on making a few bucks from it.  As it will be mines to do so.

And this also gives me time to see how Vita and PS4 really work together.  And if its a smash hit, it will be like someone buying a Vita for me.

Yes, that's illegal.

I know, hence why I said immediately the below after this!

This is a very extreme example and I don't think they are, in reality comparable.

Obviously this wasn't the best example to try and get my point across but I'm sure you can see where I was going with it.

I'm not doing this because I "need the money"... I am blessed with a pretty decent job...  $$$ is not the reason I am doing this.  If no one even bothers to buy this from me, then so be it.  I will just own a PS4 at launch.  I will just shuffle around the PS3 and use my PS4 as a Blu-Ray/entertainment device until Second Son comes out.  If someone does manage to buy this from me, I do plan on making a few bucks from it.  As it will be mines to do so.

And this also gives me time to see how Vita and PS4 really work together.  And if its a smash hit, it will be like someone buying a Vita for me.

If you don't need the money, and don't really want a PS4 at launch, why don't you cancel your order so somebody who genuinely wants one will get one on launch day?