I'm looking to pick up an Android device for some web dev testing as I have nothing Android in my house right now, and I'm thinking of picking up a Nexus 7. It looks like I can get a 32gb old Nexus for $179, or a 16gb new Nexus for $229. 

Since this will mostly be to test web apps on, and my target market is the Kindle Fire and similar devices, is it worth the extra $50 for the new one or not?

There's also an option of getting a refurbed 8gb for ~$130, although that seems like an outdated product. Any advice appreciated.

TIA!

The new ones are worth it enough IMO so i'd get that since it's not "much" more anyways.

Fixed title also :p

Having used both I concur with SHoTTa35 - definitely get the 2013 model. It's worth the $50 more, if only for the HD screen.

The new ones are worth it enough IMO so i'd get that since it's not "much" more anyways.

Fixed title also :p

Err, oh what did it say before?   :huh:

Thanks guys. I figured that would be the answer, since it's possible to add storage, but not a new screen / processor / memory, etc. Maybe if the old ones were $100 less it would make sense.

The new one is much faster, HD screen, dual speakers, lighter/thinner. Hands down the best Android tablet for the money. 

Err, oh what did it say before?   :huh:

Nexus 2021 or 2013 - figured you weren't from the future so I tweaked it.

Not sure why you are calling the original 8GB version an outdated product. I have 2 of those and they are quite fast. I got the 2nd one from eBay for 80 bucks.

So $80 vs $229? Hmm if I were you I would pick the $80 one cause you said you are only going to use it to test some websites.

Not sure why you are calling the original 8GB version an outdated product. I have 2 of those and they are quite fast. I got the 2nd one from eBay for 80 bucks.

So $80 vs $229? Hmm if I were you I would pick the $80 one cause you said you are only going to use it to test some websites.

Maybe outdated in the sense that Google didn't sell them for a long period of time. When they introduced the Nexus 7, they introduced the 8/16 GB variants. Then, they discontinued the 8GB, and replaced it with the 16GB, and introduced a 32GB model as well. The first gen. Nexus 7 has a tendency of slowing down (TRIM issues that were present before Android 4.3). I had a 8GB first gen. Nexus 7 that was slow as hell before Android 4.3 came out. It was painfully slow that I just stopped using it, and at times I just wanted to smash the damn thing. 

I've got the first one and it seems to run pretty well. I just got it to mount in my car though, so I don't need it to be incredibly fast or have the best screen ever. As long as it can play some music and do some navigation I'm happy. If I were buying one to use otherwise though I'd get the new one.