Photo

Router a few years old, time for upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:00

"I don't forward anything nor know how to."

So are you using UPnP -- let me guess you don't even know what that is.. Did you test in utorrent if your port is open?  So if your ports are not open your speed is going to be crap!  Your lucky your seeming 1.5mbps - must be popular swarms, because somebody that does not send back gets ###### from the swarm.. How p2p works is sending back to the swarm what you get, etc..  If all yo do is take - if your ports are not open, after a while nobody is going to send you anything.. So for it to work - you must be on big swarms with lots of seeders, since seeders don't care if you send or not..

Like I said lots of variables in p2p to what speeds are capable..

As to a N router - I picked up the TPLINK TL-WDR3600 for like $42..  I put dd-wrt on it, and have been very happy with it.. But I don't use it as my router -- just an accesspoint..  So I can not see how well it will work as actual router running native firmware.  I doubt you have the desire or skill set to put 3rd party firmware on what your buying.  But it gets decent reviews and is cheap

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704144

Like I said I got if for $42 ;)

Again - do your clients even support N?  How old is your imac?  Why in the world would you be wireless if its in the same room as your router?

#17 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:29

"I don't forward anything nor know how to."

So are you using UPnP -- let me guess you don't even know what that is.. Did you test in utorrent if your port is open?  So if your ports are not open your speed is going to be crap!  Your lucky your seeming 1.5mbps - must be popular swarms, because somebody that does not send back gets **** from the swarm.. How p2p works is sending back to the swarm what you get, etc..  If all yo do is take - if your ports are not open, after a while nobody is going to send you anything.. So for it to work - you must be on big swarms with lots of seeders, since seeders don't care if you send or not..

Like I said lots of variables in p2p to what speeds are capable..

As to a N router - I picked up the TPLINK TL-WDR3600 for like $42..  I put dd-wrt on it, and have been very happy with it.. But I don't use it as my router -- just an accesspoint..  So I can not see how well it will work as actual router running native firmware.  I doubt you have the desire or skill set to put 3rd party firmware on what your buying.  But it gets decent reviews and is cheap

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833704144

Like I said I got if for $42 ;)

Again - do your clients even support N?  How old is your imac?  Why in the world would you be wireless if its in the same room as your router?

Nope, don't know what UPnP is. Is there an issue? You make it seem like it's a problem.

uTorrent is set to automatically map port, that's all I know.

What does dd-wrt do?

As for my iMac, it is the late 2009 model and I don't like wires, so I didn't want to plug it in.

Edit: Ran Speedtest on my iMac through wireless was getting 16mb/down - 5mb/up. Then I hooked it up to my router and ran it again and go 30mb/down - 5mb/up.

Also, I went to canyouseeme.org and checked the port I was using, it says Connection Timed Out. So, I should forward this port?

Edit #2: Decided to go ahead and do some research. I set a static ip on my iMac (http://portforward.c...tic-Mac10.4.htm) and then forward the port uTorrent was using (http://portforward.c...v9/Utorrent.htm) and then checked the port with canyouseeme.org and it can see me now.

I'm downloading a 464MB file and I have 9(16) seeds and 3(39) peers and getting 70kB/s-120kB/s.

Edit #3: I followed this guide for everything: http://www.techsuppo...rrent-mac-speed I just edited uTorrent how it told me to.

#18 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:44

Hello,

Nope, don't know what UPnP is. Is there an issue? You make it seem like it's a problem.

uTorrent is set to automatically map port, that's all I know.

What does dd-wrt do?

As for my iMac, it is the late 2009 model and I don't like wires, so I didn't want to plug it in.

Edit: Ran Speedtest on my iMac through wireless was getting 16mb/down - 5mb/up. Then I hooked it up to my router and ran it again and go 30mb/down - 5mb/up.

Also, I went to canyouseeme.org and checked the port I was using, it says Connection Timed Out. So, I should forward this port?

Edit #2: Decided to go ahead and do some research. I set a static ip on my iMac (http://portforward.c...tic-Mac10.4.htm) and then forward the port uTorrent was using (http://portforward.c...v9/Utorrent.htm) and then checked the port with canyouseeme.org and it can see me now.

I'm downloading a 464MB file and I have 9(16) seeds and 3(39) peers and getting 70kB/s-120kB/s.

Edit #3: I followed this guide for everything: http://www.techsuppo...rrent-mac-speed I just edited uTorrent how it told me to.

Well Im glad you are at least looking up information :)

Ports are needed basically to have a connection between two points, say a PC with another PC (this is very basic). For example, when you are browsing the web your PC communicates with the PC that hosts the website thru port 80. If you block port 80 on your firewall, you would not be able to access the internet (web sites). This is a basic explaination.

What UPnP does is basically make it easier for everyone: UPnP compatible hardware/software automatically open up ports on other UPnP compatible hardware/software. Sadly, it has many serious flaws, including external access to your network (via internet) so by many (including our fellow BudMan) is not recommended.

#19 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:53

Okay, so did I do it right?

I downloaded 4 files last night. Here are the average speeds and times it took

1. Size: 465MB - Time: 2hrs 11min - Avg Speed: 60.6 kB/s

2. Size: 5.1GB - Time: 55m 45s - Avg Speed: 3 MB/s

3. Size: 723MB - Time: 15m 33s - Avg Speed: 1 MB/s

4. Size: 604MB - Time: 10m 59s - Avg Speed: 948.4 kB/s

So, I'm assuming this helped speed give me more accurate download speeds?

#20 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:01

"2. Size: 5.1GB - Time: 55m 45s - Avg Speed: 3 MB/s"

That is clearly maxing out your 25Mbps connection..

You did that over wireless?  That would be the MAX your wireless G connection could do - there would be no way you could of been doing anything else on the internet over wireless if you were seeing 3MBps down on a wireless G connection.

That avg speed does not work out - where are you getting those numbers?  Sorry but at average speed of 3MBps a 5GB file would only take 27 minutes not 55..  Do the math 5GB/3MB = seconds/60 = minutes.

#21 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:21

"2. Size: 5.1GB - Time: 55m 45s - Avg Speed: 3 MB/s"

That is clearly maxing out your 25Mbps connection..

You did that over wireless?  That would be the MAX your wireless G connection could do - there would be no way you could of been doing anything else on the internet over wireless if you were seeing 3MBps down on a wireless G connection.

That avg speed does not work out - where are you getting those numbers?  Sorry but at average speed of 3MBps a 5GB file would only take 27 minutes not 55..  Do the math 5GB/3MB = seconds/60 = minutes.

No I did that wired, downloaded while I was sleeping. I was just reading what uTorrent showed. I could have easily made a typo since I woke up and went to check out the computer.

#22 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:00

So did you test in utorrent for your port being open? The utorrent client has a test to see if you can be seen from the public internet.

But those speeds make sense in general with a 25Mbps connection.. Some you max out your connection and see 3MBps -- others you see lower speeds.. Since your speed for a torrent depends on lots of factors, how many seeds, how many peers - what speeds they are sending at, how many connections you allow, settings in your client, very extensive variable list of things that can effect performance of any particular torrent.

So with no torrents running - what does speedtest.net show for your connection? I am currently on a sim sort of connection with

3035046717.png

#23 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:13

So did you test in utorrent for your port being open? The utorrent client has a test to see if you can be seen from the public internet.

But those speeds make sense in general with a 25Mbps connection.. Some you max out your connection and see 3MBps -- others you see lower speeds.. Since your speed for a torrent depends on lots of factors, how many seeds, how many peers - what speeds they are sending at, how many connections you allow, settings in your client, very extensive variable list of things that can effect performance of any particular torrent.

So with no torrents running - what does speedtest.net show for your connection? I am currently on a sim sort of connection with

3035046717.png

I don't see the test button in uTorrent, I just see a green light for the connection. I was running the speed test without torrents and it was around 33Mb/s down, 5.88Mb/s up.

How do I know if my iMac will support a N router?

#24 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:16

Depends, I have an old Linksys Ver 2 WRT54G and putting on the dd-wrt firmware gave it new life / functionality and is in service again working great after being stored in my closest for years. 

#25 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:50

http://www.utorrent....onnection-setup

As to your imac - what are its specs, how do users buy things and not know what they can do or can not do?  Do you not know what size engine your car has?  Do you know know if it has a CD player or XM radio?

How old is your imac - I show late 2011 21.5 inch model having N support

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP634

But your imac is in the room with your router - who cares if it has wireless support or not?  It would be the other devices on your network that would be using the wireless - would it not?

#26 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:07

http://www.utorrent....onnection-setup

As to your imac - what are its specs, how do users buy things and not know what they can do or can not do?  Do you not know what size engine your car has?  Do you know know if it has a CD player or XM radio?

How old is your imac - I show late 2011 21.5 inch model having N support

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP634

But your imac is in the room with your router - who cares if it has wireless support or not?  It would be the other devices on your network that would be using the wireless - would it not?

Let's lose the ****ing attitude. Are you hear to help or belittle me over the internet?

It's a 27" iMac Late Oct 2009 (stated that a few times in the thread), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP576

Do the N routers only matter if I'm using wireless devices? My wireless devices are 4 iPad's, 4 iPhone's, 2 xbox's, and a 2010 MacBook Pro.

#27 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:59

"Do the N routers only matter if I'm using wireless devices?"

What?  Why would it matter what wireless it was - if you didn't have wireless devices?  From your devices they all look N to me - why are you running an OLD G router for this long?

Again -- take this as belittling if you want.. I am asking you a honest question.. How do you have so much tech in the house and not even understand the difference between G or N in wireless??  Really?  That is an honest question dude, read it how you want -- just blows my mind??

So to answer thread question -- YES its time to upgrade..  If all you do is internet then G would could be fine if cost was an issue you only have 20 something internet and G can do really close to that.. But with what $5k in mobile devices in the house -- yeah I think you can afford a new wireless router ;)

With imac and mac pro and iphones and ipads -- I would go with the http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/

#28 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:35

Hello,

Let's lose the ****ing attitude. Are you hear to help or belittle me over the internet?

Its BudMan "way" of helping you :p I know it comes off rough but he is simply trying to help you :)

Since your house is very "Apple orientated" you could like he mentioned go with a AirPort Extreme. I wouldnt but hey, its just another Apple product and you seem to perfer them :)

#29 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:24

"Do the N routers only matter if I'm using wireless devices?"

What?  Why would it matter what wireless it was - if you didn't have wireless devices?  From your devices they all look N to me - why are you running an OLD G router for this long?

Again -- take this as belittling if you want.. I am asking you a honest question.. How do you have so much tech in the house and not even understand the difference between G or N in wireless??  Really?  That is an honest question dude, read it how you want -- just blows my mind??

So to answer thread question -- YES its time to upgrade..  If all you do is internet then G would could be fine if cost was an issue you only have 20 something internet and G can do really close to that.. But with what $5k in mobile devices in the house -- yeah I think you can afford a new wireless router ;)

With imac and mac pro and iphones and ipads -- I would go with the http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/

My life has been constantly busy since 2007 due to my career. I lost touch with following technology. Sorry if I don't understand the difference between G and N wireless. I was asking if my wireless devices will see a speed  increase if I switched to N. Would my iMac which is now plugged into my router see a difference being plugged into a N router.

Also, the Airport Extreme, can I hook up an external HDD to that via USB and everyone on my network can access it? Should I get an Airport Express for my xbox's and other MacBook?

#30 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:37

Dude don't give me the I have been busy for 6 years :rolleyes:  What about the last couple days while this post has been going - you still to busy to read up on the differences?

Here is my point exactly - I give you a link, you didn't even follow it looks since right there on the front page

imageapple.png

Yes it will share your USB disk for everyone on your network..  And no the express version does not do that..  You can only share a printer with the express version.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421