Windows 8.1 : Did you clean install or did you upgrade?

Did you clean install or did you upgrade 8.1?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Did you clean install or did you upgrade 8.1?

• Clean install
    • Upgraded from the App Store.
    • Clean installed 8 then upgraded to 8.1

I haven't done the install yet as i'm still on the best OS (win7) :), but soon I might install win8.1 as a FRESH install as it should be done! 

Just gone from 8 (which was an upgrade to 7) to 8.1, took about 20mins and all done :) no issues so far.

Edit - Avast service is stopped and won't restart.

Clean install using the leaked TechNet ISOs got the GA bits from Windows update no issue and activated with my keys from Win8

I upgraded from the store.

I had one issue - the network drivers currupted and kept dropping off.

Reinstalled the old driver though and everything is fine again!

Upgraded my laptop last night and now I can't get any WiFi, all I get is no networks found and device manager says the device is working correctly, I have posted this issue on the Microsoft community page and so far no help to get this working

Does you computer have a hotkey to turning on/off the wireless ? it's the default issue when you don't have wireless and the device manager says it's working. 

Does you computer have a hotkey to turning on/off the wireless ? it's the default issue when you don't have wireless and the device manager says it's working.

Yes I do have a hotkey and wifi is on

About to do a Clean Install from Windows 8. Does the Windows 8 drivers work fine with 8.1?

I've had no problems so far, for example my roccat mouse and keyboard has drivers from 2011 that don't even say they are compatible with win8, but they work fine.

Are they going to release an official ISO/installer file to the public or what? It took hours to download last night and I'll be damned if I go through that on my second PC and again should I decide to wipe/reload at some point.

It doesn't impress me that they're forcing people to sign in to a Microsoft account. There is no advantage for me to do so and my perfectly working local account is now tied to the stupid cloud (I disabled auto upload, etc.) I know (now) that I could've hit the back button and chose to sign in locally, but that's a shady way of doing things, don't ya think? No way am I going to start saving things to the cloud just to fulfill someone's wet dream of no privacy @ Redmond. I'll be creating a local account today, transferring everything over and deleting my original account. Stupid....stupid....stupid......

Are they going to release an official ISO/installer file to the public or what? It took hours to download last night and I'll be damned if I go through that on my second PC and again should I decide to wipe/reload at some point.

It doesn't impress me that they're forcing people to sign in to a Microsoft account. There is no advantage for me to do so and my perfectly working local account is now tied to the stupid cloud (I disabled auto upload, etc.) I know (now) that I could've hit the back button and chose to sign in locally, but that's a shady way of doing things, don't ya think? No way am I going to start saving things to the cloud just to fulfill someone's wet dream of no privacy @ Redmond. I'll be creating a local account today, transferring everything over and deleting my original account. Stupid....stupid....stupid......

Actually I thought you had to sign into a Microsoft account also. That was until I was typing my password for my Microsoft account I already had and mistyped it. it said it was incorrect then gave me the option to say no thanks and use a local account.

About to do a Clean Install from Windows 8. Does the Windows 8 drivers work fine with 8.1?

They should work but watch out if you have a Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter you won't get a wifi connection.

I have the 8.1 ISO on a usb stick and did a clean install. much prefer to clean install if I can. no issues and works like a champ. for AMD users, I'm trying to get the word out, update your driver to 13.9 WHQL which is the first certified by AMD driver for Windows 8.1

They should work but watch out if you have a Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter you won't get a wifi connection.

That wifi adapter is garbage all around.

My mom (*sigh*) bought two desktops with them in it.

Neither could ever get a connection in Windows 8.

Actually I thought you had to sign into a Microsoft account also. That was until I was typing my password for my Microsoft account I already had and mistyped it. it said it was incorrect then gave me the option to say no thanks and use a local account.

There is no legitimate reason to make this a perceived requirement, other than to socially condition the sheep to expect it. I feel the direction here is to remove the local account option entirely in future versions of Windows.

OK So i've found loads of the metro stuff can no longer be uninstalled by the obvious means :( (right click select uninstall) no longer works, nor does the powershell trick, how do I remove the metro apps now?

Upgraded via the Store yesterday. Quick and painless aside from the download speed. But my ISP was to blame for that, not Microsoft.

Just for the record. if you had a program open with unsaved data, the update would have paused and told you it needs your assistance to continue. 

For me it said it was going to wait 15 minutes and then restart regardless.  Not an issue, but that's what it looked like anyways.

OK So i've found loads of the metro stuff can no longer be uninstalled by the obvious means :( (right click select uninstall) no longer works, nor does the powershell trick, how do I remove the metro apps now?

I was able to uninstall apps by going to Charms > Settings > PC Settings > Apps, and from there there's an option to view how much space apps are taking up and you can select specific apps to uninstall.

For me it said it was going to wait 15 minutes and then restart regardless.  Not an issue, but that's what it looked like anyways.

it does that if there's nothing blocking the restart/install. if there's a program running that will block a restart, it will stop the install and ask you to fix an issue before it can continue.