Front-Runner For "Ant-Mans" Wasp Revealed?

fMtWXl0.png

Since director Edgar Wright took to Twitter this month to announce his return to pre-production on Ant-Man, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Paul Rudd have been reported has front-runners for the title role. But now there's potential casting surrounding the supporting role of Janet Van Dyne, better known as The Wasp. According to questionable sources of Superhero Movie News, who were apparently informed of Paul Rudd's involvement early on, Parks and Recreation's Rashida Jones has topped Marvel's shortlist for Janet Van Dyne in light of her ?chemistry with the other actors.? It's worth noting that Jones has starred opposite Paul Rudd in I, Love You Man and My Idiot Brother.

Also, Superhero Movie News further quote their source(s) on Edgar Wright's plans for The Wasp in the Ant-Man adaptation: ?Janet would [only] be a love interest and a major supporting character, we would see multiple references to her future as The Wasp throughout the film.? Again, we don't know how reliable these sources are considering they don't exactly have a track record for breaking news, other than the Justice League: Mortal script.

Anyhow, Edgar Wright directs Ant-Man from his screenplay, co-written Joe Cornish. With filming scheduled to take place very soon in England, the film is slated for release on July 31, 2015.

Source

It's an unexpected yet interesting choice which I like. Looking forward to some footage!

It would be great to see Janet Van Dyne / Janet Pym develop into The Wasp, especially if she starts out purely as a supporting role. The great thing about the current Marvel universe is the continuity and the ability to have long running character arcs, the likes of which we haven't seen in superhero films before.

That doesn't even look like her... Rashida Jones that is.

She's upped her game considerably. That's from the October 2012 issue of Flaunt Magazine.

HuffPo story

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1899505

Crop of another stunning pic from that shoot, but it's slightly NSFW so just the link

http://dailyfill.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Rashida-Jones-Naeem-Khan-flaunt-2012.jpg

MAJOR characters, and no more strange than an alien "god", not-so-jolly green giant or 95 year old super-soldier.

Ant-Man/Henry Pym was an original Avenger, and Wasp/Janet van Dyne his g/f & later wife. His size-shifting technology is key to some important stories, and Janet's abilities, so putting them in is almost required.

Fact is, a lot of Marvel fans were upset they didn't make the first Avengers film.

So he will be a Villian turned Good Superhero?

Depends on which Ant-Man they use. Henry Pym was heroic, invented the tech, but also was guilty of spousal abuse. Eric O'Grady was a low level S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who was also a peeping Tom and self-serving. Scott Lang was a reformed thief. Pick one.

Not too familiar with Marvels stable of characters, then?

Gladly - no.

I just like the mainstream Hollywood movies that are produced based on some of them.

This one sounds dumb, though :S

Pym supposedly invented a tech that can shunt a person or objects mass into another dimension to make them shrink to insect size, or the reverse to grow gigantic.

In physics string theory gravity is the weakest force because its strength is divided between 11 dimensions.

Is either really any weirder than a Spider-Man, rampaging gamma-ray induced green giant or any of the other comic superheroes?

Gladly - no.

I just like the mainstream Hollywood movies that are produced based on some of them.

This one sounds dumb, though :s

If it helps, they're called Wasp and Ant Man due to shrinking technology.

I can see how it sounds odd if you know nothing about the comic/characters or it's existent, haha. However, I do know the characters so I'm very much looking forward to this movie!

Gladly - no.

This one sounds dumb, though :s

I don't see how ant-man sounds any dumber than bat-man or spider-man.

• 3 weeks later...