Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Server Hosting Costs - Commercial Sites, This Right?

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,

this is not really my area so I wanted to ask some for some advice about whether or not these costs are about right because I have been asked to research if we can get a better deal.

As it stands the client has 3 commercial websites which combined make about 30-50 transactions a month (steadily growing), product catalogue of about 160 items across the 3 sites

Cost breakdown is as follows

Web/application server -

Posted

Absolutely rinsed is all I can say.

Posted

I think you've been rinsed - its way overpriced. 30 - 50 transactions a month? How busy is your site that you need three separate servers at

2 people like this

Posted

Yeah, take a look at Azure or other cloud offerings, nice thing with them if the business is growing is that you can easily scale the servers up as they grow.

Posted

Two recommendations,

A company like Exponential-e, http://www.exponential-e.com/. Cloud offering is UK based, VMware, HP Blade, EMC storage.

Or,

Microsoft Azure

PM me if you have any questions.

Posted

Having built and hosted a major UK website that took well over 300 transactions per day - someone is making of money off of you :(

Posted

Transactions don't really mean anything in regards to performance and bandwidth.. how many hits does it get? how many concurrent users? how many hits do you want or are you aiming for? (i.e how scalable do you need it to be?)

How big are the sites? wtf is an image server? and why does it require

Posted

Transactions don't really mean anything in regards to performance and bandwidth

Agree and disagree.  number of transactions can often be scaled up (assuming per x visits = 1 sale) to hits.

Posted

Those prices are nuts you can even setup your own high end servers for these prices and rent a place at a server park and that would be probably cheaper lol

Posted

well the thing that really jumps out is why the heck do you need three separate servers for that?

Posted

Those prices are nuts you can even setup your own high end servers for these prices and rent a place at a server park and that would be probably cheaper lol

Off-topic: lol at 'server park', totally had a mental image of an amusement park based on servers; I think the term you meant to use was 'Data Center' but I won't hold it against you!

Posted

Server park is definitely more fun, lets stick with that.

Posted

If 30 - 50 is shorthand for 30,000 - 50,000, you're still getting hosed.

Posted

Off-topic: lol at 'server park', totally had a mental image of an amusement park based on servers; I think the term you meant to use was 'Data Center' but I won't hold it against you!

haha  :rofl:

Posted

You are being completely ripped off.

Even if you get 50.000 hits, you don't need a 350USD server, not by far.

Just a simple search at a good hoster has servers capable of handling well over 50.000 hits per day for as low as 80bucks a month.

Get 5 of em, just for the hell of it and you're still far cheaper then this rip off solution you've been offered.

Posted

A $10/month good quality hosting like Arvixe.com can do the job just fine at the load. If you have to have a virtual hosting that is still ripping you off.

Can you tell the virtual machine specs?

Posted

A $10/month good quality hosting like Arvixe.com can do the job just fine at the load. If you have to have a virtual hosting that is still ripping you off.

Can you tell the virtual machine specs?

Not quite, but nice try.

Posted

Put it this way.. I run about 150 websites on a server that costs me

Posted

Not quite, but nice try.

Wasn't trying to sell. Just stating the facts the way OP explained.

Please tell me why "not quite"? No need to kill a mosquito with a bazooka.

Posted

Wasn't trying to sell. Just stating the facts the way OP explained.

Please tell me why "not quite"? No need to kill a mosquito with a bazooka.

You'd want dedicated/VPS server for a business site of scale he has, not 'shared hosting'.

Posted

You'd want dedicated/VPS server for a business site of scale he has, not 'shared hosting'.

Yeah I understand the reasons but the amount of traffic that was mentioned didn't warrant a dedicated/VPS hosting?

Posted

Yeah I understand the reasons but the amount of traffic that was mentioned didn't warrant a dedicated/VPS hosting?

Not just traffic to consider, there are a multitude of other considerations.

Posted

Not just traffic to consider, there are a multitude of other considerations.

Again true but the OP hasn't given any specific information on the other factors so I gave that answer based on the initial information. I am sure with a better requirements we all can suggest him/her something better suited to the needs.

Posted

Again true but the OP hasn't given any specific information on the other factors so I gave that answer based on the initial information. I am sure with a better requirements we all can suggest him/her something better suited to the needs.

Well on that basis, why are you stating outright that a cheap $10/month service will suit his needs if you don't know the requirements?

Besides, anything remotely business transaction related shouldn't live on shared hosting, at all, ever.

Posted

Hi all,

this is not really my area so I wanted to ask some for some advice about whether or not these costs are about right because I have been asked to research if we can get a better deal.

As it stands the client has 3 commercial websites which combined make about 30-50 transactions a month (steadily growing), product catalogue of about 160 items across the 3 sites

Cost breakdown is as follows

Web/application server -