• 3,514 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:31

Apple ][+

#167 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

• 364 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:04

my first computer was a tandy 1000 computer with monitor, external floppy drive and dot matrix printer.

one time I accidentally formatted the master boot disc(which wasnt protected for some reason) and radio shack charged $60 for a replacement.

also I still think dot matrix printer are still great compared to printers today.

it had a ink roll. just rewind the roll and it was still good.

I like the paper feeders in dot matrix printer. just sit the box below the printer and feed the folded paper into the printer.

and I never had paper jams like I do with ink jets. :angry:  I did get paper jams but not like the inkjets.

#168 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

• 1,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:57

First computer was an Adam by Colecovision -> http://en.wikipedia....iki/Coleco_Adam

First "modern" computer was an AST Advantage - Pentium 90 with Windows 3.1

#169 Izlude

Izlude

Oddy Tentacles

• 2,361 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:20

A nice IBM 286 from 1989.  First we had DOS, then Windows 3.0.   Brings back memories of Mega Man for PC and Quest for Glory.

System and Keyboard looked exactly like this, but the monitor was a bit more state of the art (yellowing plastic chasis) and a high contras ratio which made some very deep/rich colors more so than what my friends and school computers had.  I was really living it.

pc-at.jpg.optimized.jpg

#170 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,287 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:36

HP Vectra, it was a POS, didnt even have a sound card. 4gb hard drive..

#171 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

Neowinian Senior

• 3,527 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:44

My first PC was in 1995...

Packard Bell...

-486 dx2 66mhz CPU

-4MB of RAM (eventually upgraded to 8MB to play DooM)

-4xxMB hard drive

-2400 baud modem (i still have this somewhere i think)

-Windows v3.11

etc

p.s. so i was online/had a PC roughly 3-5 years before the internet/computers in general really went mainstream, which from my perception, seemed to be around 1998-2000 before it really took off. i was one of the first to get high speed internet (cable) in my area according to the guy who installed it and that was in the year 2000.

--------------------------------------------------------

-my 2nd PC was i think Aug 1996. i know it was 1996 something though and was a Packard Bell.

-my 3rd PC i am pretty sure was in the year 2000. E-Machines PC. i still have this but it collects dust as it's just too old to run anything nowadays as i about the only time i rarely use is for softmoding XBox1's at which point i TSOP them so i won't ever need to use the PC again since you can make it boot from DVD's then.

-my 4th PC was April 2001. this is a Alienware PC. (this is my backup for very basic internet in case my primary PC goes down and i need to order parts. it's got Lubuntu running on it now since Windows XP is no longer supported.)

-my 5th PC was March 2006. this is custom built PC.

-my 6th PC (my current one) May 2012. custom build PC. although this is the same case as the 5th PC's as all i did was swap out the Mobo/CPU/RAM. but it's enough to claim it's another PC.

#172 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 703 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:46

My very first computer was a Comodore Vic 20, and thereafter a x8086 with 640kb memory, a 10mb hd and a 5¼" floppy! How time have changed!

#173 rvbfan

rvbfan

I'll get the mop.

• 5,227 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:25

Cyrix 686 based home built.

#174 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,009 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:28

The first thing i had in my room was an Acorn running RISC OS 2, followed by a few Windows 3.1 computers.

AcornArchimedes-Wiki.jpg

Then i got a Viglen Genie Executive running Windows 95 that the School IT Admin repaired, upgraded and gave to me. He was a great guy.

viglen.jpg

Back then computers seemed really exciting in themselves. They weren't necessarily connected to the internet, research was done with Encarta and occasionally an Essay was written in Word. Sounds silly but even the noise of older hard drives working away makes me nostalgic. Great times. I happened to buy an old compaq pc with a 486 cpu a couple of days ago for nostalgia purposes :p

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!