What was your first home computer?

Tandy 1000 RL.

9.56 MHz 8086 processor w/o math co=processor

768kB RAM ( upgraded from 512kB)

DOS 3.x w/ DesktopOS (in picture)

3434202_s1_i2_3574.jpg

Used that computer until 1994 when I finally was able to afford an IBM Aptiva.

Assembled PC (1996): Pentium I - 166 Mhz, 32 MB RAM, 2 GB HDD, 16X Creative CD-ROM, 15" CRT, 56 kbps Modem and running Windows 95. :)

My first computer was a Commodore 64.

My first PC was an IBM XT that Dad pinched from work. It had 128kb RAM, Intel 8088 processor running at 4.77 MHz, two 5 1/4" floppy disks (360kB) and no hard drive. It booted in to a basic interpreter which I didn't know what to do with so he took it back and brought home another one that had a whopping 20MB hard disk with DOS installed. The XT came with a monster of a monitor with an amazing 80x40 character resolution with a vast colour range of green. The keyboard was comprised of plastic keys embedded within a steel casing that weighed at least 2kgs. If someone hit you over the head with it, you'd likely end up in hospital for a few days. The disk drives (floppy & hard) were around the size of show boxes. It's funny how I can store 120gb on a flash disk the size of a finger nail now.

First owned - Acer Aspire 5570 - piece of junk.

A relative has that. Painfully slow with vista + years of crud. Fresh install of 8 and it flies. 

First computer our family had was a Performa I think. Can't quite remember which model. 

I had a MESH PC with a 233 MMX processor, and it came from the recycling with 16Mb ram, and a 1Gb hdd, I "upgraded" it to  64Mb ram, and had a V90 56k dialup.... I used it to play gigs, with a very early version of fruityloops as a sequencer for playing samples with a SB Live 1024 soundcard... imagine, carrying a crt monitor about... up on stage with one of those black and decker work bench things as a stand next to my synth...

My first PC had a Pentium III running at 800MHz, 64MB of RAM (later 128), a 8MB SiS GPU, 20gigs and ran Win 98 or ME (later XP). Died a few years ago, served me well though. 

First Computer:

ZX_Spectrum_Plus2.jpeg

First Windows Computer was a 1993 RM Laptop, can't find pictures

• Like 2

I was relatively late to the field. My first was a P3 in 2000. Still have kept it just to remind me how much have we advanced in terms of tech.

Hello,

The real reason of *nix Operating System moniker.

i always find weird that other referring *nix as linux distro-variants.

Microsoft should've continues the Xenix OS.

I believe Xenix actually was licensed from the actual Unix so it was Unix basically. Linux is based on Unix using loyality and open source code. There is a difference :)

First computer we had at home: Sirius Victor 9000

victor_9000_2_floppy_drives.gif

First PC I owned: pre-built 486 from a long gone retailer called Escom, similar to this:

escompc_3419.jpg

Equipped with 14" CRT, 486 DX33, 8 MB of RAM, 162 MB HDD, el-cheapo Oak graphics card.

First computer was a BBC Model B with 32kb RAM and a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive add-on. First PC was a Amstrad 1640 with a 20MB Winchester HDD, 640kb RAM and 5 1/4 inch floppy drive.

486DX with a whopping 32mb's memory.

Thing was a POS from day one!! Guy that built it got so sick of me bringing it back to him that he gave me all my money back and let me keep the computer, even after having it for over a year. I then had learned enough to fix the thing and it ran pretty good for a couple years until I sold it.

IBM PC 286 @ 12 Mhz with a 40 MB HDD (split into two virtual C: and D: drives for 20 megs each!) and EGA display. I still remember how it smelled.

IBM_PC_AT_01_full.jpg

I crashed it twice the first week I got it.

On the first incident, I thought that I really didn't need autoexec.bat and config.sys files and deleted them :D

On the second incident, I test drove the "format c: /q" function :rofl:  I was eight years old at that time, panicked, and almost shitted my pants coz the PC wouldn't boot up obviously. By next week, however, I had already learned how to make a bootable 5.25" MS DOS re-installation diskette )

• Like 1

IBM PC 286 @ 12 Mhz with a 40 MB HDD (split into two virtual C: and D: drives for 20 megs each!) and EGA display. I still remember how it smelled.

IBM_PC_AT_01_full.jpg

I crashed it twice the first week I got.

On the first incident, I thought that I really didn't need autoexec.bat and config.sys files and deleted them :D

On the second incident, I test drove the "format c: /q" function :rofl:  I was eight years old, panicked and almost shitted my pants. By next week however, I had already learned how to make a bootable 5.25" MS DOS re-installation diskette )

wow, seems we have more in common than I had thought, I did exactly that too, but not the ms-dos disc part

my set up was almost exactly the same as yours, but had vga mine had ms-dos 5, and Xtree pro

First family computer was in 1994 - an Elonex 486 SX-25 with 4Mb of RAM and a 130MB (!) hard drive.

Next was a Dell P166 in 1997 (166Mhz (with MMX)) with 32MB of RAM

My first one was a Dell P866 in 2001 (128MB RAM) when I was at university which lasted several years

My next two computers have been custom built (one in 2004 and the other in 2011)

wow, seems we have more in common than I had thought, I did exactly that too, but not the ms-dos disc part

my set up was almost exactly the same as yours, but had vga mine had ms-dos 5, and Xtree pro

This is a generic picture from Google Images, but mine was exactly like it :)

Did yours have a plastic transparent keyboard cover protecting it from dust? I miss those :) It's a shame keyboards nowadays are shipped without one.

My second PC, an Acer 486DX2 had a VGA card and display :) The jump from EGA to VGA was huge as VGA seemed so beautiful compared to EGA back then :)

• Like 1

This is a generic picture from Google Images, but mine was exactly like it :)

Did yours have a plastic transparent keyboard cover protecting it from dust? I miss those :) It's a shame keyboards nowadays are shipped without one.

Yes, I remember those, lol

now I feel old, :p