The Nintendo Wii U continues to sell poorly

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:48

Although Nintendo swung to profits for the first half of the 2013 fiscal year, the company admitted that its Nintendo Wii U console is still selling rather poorly, and adversely affecting its overall operations.

Only 460,000 Wii U consoles were sold worldwide in the first six months of the current fiscal year. Since we already know that 160,000 of those were sold in the first quarter, that means that around 300,000 Wii U consoles were sold for the quarter ended September 30.

Nintendo was unable to hide its disappointment in its financial quarter report, noting that the releases of Pikmin 3 and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD have done little to turn the tide for the fledging console.

"The Wii U hardware still has a negative impact on Nintendo's profits," the company said, adding that advertising, research and development for the console is also dragging the company's earnings down. The console has now sold 3.91 million units worldwide in total.

But it wasn't all bad news, as the Nintendo 3DS continues to sell well. Tomodachi Collection for the 3DS sold 1.63 million in Japan, while Animal Crossing: New Leaf surpassed 2.49 million units worldwide for the fiscal year.

As a result, the Nintendo 3DS has now sold 3.89 million hardware units this fiscal year, with 34.98 million 3DS handhelds sold to date. The company expects this number to jump over the current quarter, thanks to the release of Pokemon X & Y, the release of the Nintendo 2DS, and the holiday period in general.

And the company is hoping that the upcoming release of Super Mario 3D World is going to boost Nintendo Wii U sales during this quarter.

For the six months ended September 30, 2013, Nintendo posted revenues of 196.5 billion yen ($2.0 billion), down 2.2 percent compared to 201.0 billion yen ($2.05 billion) year-over-year, and profits of 600 million yen ($6.1 million), compared to losses of 28.0 billion yen ($285.2 million) year-over-year.

http://www.gamasutra...sell_poorly.php

#2 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:58

In other news, the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii (while stocks last) are cheaper than ever here in Australia - just $148, $138 and $74 AUD respectively from Big W (from October 31st).

I don't expect sales to be strong without Mario Kart U, the U controller (I wish they'd include a classic controller in the pack) and high price (compared to previous gen consoles, which are still great to play).

Edit: watching the Mario Kart 8 trailer, I was dissapointed to see that textures still appear like (or worse) than those of 7th generation consoles. Mario Kart 8 doesn't seem to break any ground - perhaps they should get some ideas from the arcade version (which has significantly different game play).

Edit 2: on the other hand, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze looks awesome:

#3 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:37

I guessing that if this keeps up Nintendo will just stick to the portable market and discontinue the Wii U.

#4 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:42

I can offer up the reasons why I decided against buying a Wii U:

• Price Vs. number of games I wanted: It's tough to justify spending $300+ on a console when there are only about 2 games that I really, really wanted.
  • Nintendo isn't yet selling the Wii U touch controller by itself: I love the controller, as does my husband, so why does only one player get to have one? I want to play 2-player games and I want both of us to have an equal experience.
  • Wind Waker HD?!: The 3DS is getting a new Zelda game this year and the Wii U isn't?

I may still get a Wii U in the future when the price goes down and there are more games available that I'm interested in.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:29

The tablet controller is useless for multiplayer.

Also how did you find two games you really wanted...

As for a Zelda game, it's coming, but lates. Just like all the other system movers that are coming next year, 1,5 years late or more by release date. Nintendo us putting all their developers on DS games it seems... Putting all their eggs in a doomed basket...

#6 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:30

It's the lack of first party titles.. 

#7 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:32

And the lack of third party titles as well.

#8 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:22

As for a Zelda game, it's coming, but lates. Just like all the other system movers that are coming next year, 1,5 years late or more by release date. Nintendo us putting all their developers on DS games it seems... Putting all their eggs in a doomed basket...

Wait, did you seriously just take a trip back to 2011 and try to say nintendo's handheld is doomed?

#9 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:25

Wait, did you seriously just take a trip back to 2011 and try to say nintendo's handheld is doomed?

In before "tablets and smartphones...."

#10 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 October 2013 - 14:27

Wind Waker HD?!: The 3DS is getting a new Zelda game this year and the Wii U isn't?

The last Zelda title came out less than two years ago, expecting another one already? This isn't Madden.

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:03

IT is, right now they're selling, and they will sell for a few years, but how long do you realistically see handhelds lasting ? realistically ?

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:09

The last Zelda title came out less than two years ago, expecting another one already? This isn't Madden.

or CoD ...

#13 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:16

IT is, right now they're selling, and they will sell for a few years, but how long do you realistically see handhelds lasting ? realistically ?

for a long time.  There are some people that will always want a dedicated portable gaming system.  I'll give you that the market will probably not be anywhere near as big as it was during the height of the Nintendo DS but it won't disappear completely.  Not every portable game is suited for exclusively touchscreen controls that phones have so there will be a market for a dedicated handheld.

Obviously however Nintendo would be foolish to not have a long term plan in place to prepare for the collapse of the handheld market but in the short term it's nothing they have to worry about now.  It's funny when the Vita came out against 3DS I said Sony is going to cream Nintendo this time around the Vita appeared to me to be the perfect portable finally almost a near HD portable.  Look what happened the Vita is basically dead and a far technically inferior system destroyed it.  Nintendo won because of software plain and simple.  So the portable space can be supported with "outdated" hardware if you have great software to support it.  Unfortunately that's what has killed the Wii U since release, for the most part not good software and not enough of it.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:18

Irrelevant, Nintendo launched the console without a single system seller. sure there was Mario, but as awesome as NSMB is, it alone isn't a system seller. and they stll haven't released any system sellers, oh yeah Pikmin... eh whatever. 

Where's, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bro's, a new D Mario(even though I'm a firm believer in the classic 2.5D games being superior and Mario should never have been 3D), and the rest of the family.

so far they have two first party titles, one isn't that big o a system seller, the other has a narrow audience, and they have practically no interesting third party titles. 

#15 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:21

In other news, the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii (while stocks last) are cheaper than ever here in Australia - just $148, $138 and $74 AUD respectively from Big W (from October 31st).

I don't expect sales to be strong without Mario Kart U, the U controller (I wish they'd include a classic controller in the pack) and high price (compared to previous gen consoles, which are still great to play).

Edit: watching the Mario Kart 8 trailer, I was dissapointed to see that textures still appear like (or worse) than those of 7th generation consoles. Mario Kart 8 doesn't seem to break any ground - perhaps they should get some ideas from the arcade version (which has significantly different game play).

Edit 2: on the other hand, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze looks awesome:

The Problem with that game and the Wii U is without seeing the Old Wii version and that new version side by side the new version doesn't look that much better graphical wise to make me want to buy the Wii U.