PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

I really wish we could put this argument behind us and quit exaggerating the claims people had against that system. No one is against the internet here. Furthermore, it's rather annoying how these topics end up because people who were fans of the 360 get labeled as Sony fanboys just because they have different input from others. :/

(not accusing you of such, but how these threads turn out in general)

I think one reason the argument continues is because some people feel the need to continue to hold it against MS.  MS made a choice and people said they didn't want that.  MS then fixed it and that should have been the end of it, but no.

I agree that people should stop exaggerating the claims as if people were against internet access.  It was much simpler then that, just don't have the 24hr check in and don't restrict retail games to allow for normal used game sales. I hope people also drop it as some attack against MS since they did as we asked.

Some guy on reddit RE: MP3/DLNA patch on second firmware update:

I heard the same thing from a developer working on the PS4 who made some calls after I brought it up to him. DLNA and MP3 was on the books already, just not ready in time for the 1.5 launch FW. It was planned in a later update, but from what I've heard, due to the uproar, it was shifted up in priority and Sony is doing their best to drop it in the next patch, alongside the suspend/resume mode they had to push due to cert issues. ... I have confirmation and I know Kagari on Gaf also received a separate confirmation as well.

I think one reason the argument continues is because some people feel the need to continue to hold it against MS.  MS made a choice and people said they didn't want that.  MS then fixed it and that should have been the end of it, but no.

I agree that people should stop exaggerating the claims as if people were against internet access.  It was much simpler then that, just don't have the 24hr check in and don't restrict retail games to allow for normal used game sales. I hope people also drop it as some attack against MS since they did as we asked.

It wouldn't come up at all if people quit acting like these two arguments were related at all. I'm pretty sure we knew there would need to be day one updates since before we even knew what the consoles were going to look like. Nothing has changed.

The only ones that are upset are the ones that didn't get to have their 24 hour check in DRM. What's worse is they can't even hold Microsoft responsible for their own decision.

@DPyro, I hope that's true for the sake of those who care about that sort of thing. As I said earlier, I had no idea it was such a big deal.

It wouldn't come up at all if people quit acting like these two arguments were related at all. I'm pretty sure we knew there would need to be day one updates since before we even knew what the consoles were going to look like. Nothing has changed.

The only ones that are upset are the ones that didn't get to have their 24 hour check in DRM. What's worse is they can't even hold Microsoft responsible for their own decision.

I agree, that's a silly argument and a waste of time.

MS did the right thing and people should be happy about that.

• Like 3

"I think one reason the argument continues is because some people feel the need to continue to hold it against MS.  MS made a choice and people said they didn't want that.  MS then fixed it and that should have been the end of it, but no." <---This...  What's good for the goose, has to be good for the gander as well.

Microsoft did do as people asked (I wasn't one of the people asking.  But I do understand the "For the greater good" moment)

But the I also disagree, The Gamestops, and other trade in places rip people off all the time, and we the consumer complain.  But when someone wants to do something about it, the world went nuts and said it was anti consumer.  

It's like a woman's pocket book being hijacked by a robber, Superman stops the robber, returns the pocket book, and the woman hands the thief the pocket book anyways....  :rofl:

I don't want to get off topic (I do that a TON)...  All I ask for is equality in peoples complaints.  7yrs of Cell forgiven in a instant.  a reversal of DRM (reversed months before release of console at that) can't be let go... :/

• Like 2

Ok so at least two people on gaf with reliable sources have said MP3/DLNA will be patched in the second firmware update. They need to pass certification before it can be released.

Awesome, once that is confirmed by Sony, we can be happy and move on.

That leaves external storage support.  Any word on Sony working to add that into the second update as well?

The PS4 is sold as a game console.   It's not sold as a media center.

You should call Sony and remind them that PS4 is just a game console and they should not add any stuff they are rumored to be adding...

Ok so at least two people on gaf with reliable sources have said MP3/DLNA will be patched in the second firmware update. They need to pass certification before it can be released.

Awesome, once that is confirmed by Sony, we can be happy and move on.

That leaves external storage support.  Any word on Sony working to add that into the second update as well?

I believe the external storage is only game related, which was confirmed a long time ago.  Although w/o MP3 support, I could be wrong.  But USB has to be used for something besides charging peripherals.

Meaning the PS4 is being shipped before it is complete.

How so? Priority with the software is games first. Not many people actually used the MP3/DLNA feature despite the outcry from a minority.

How so? Priority with the software is games first. Not many people actually used the MP3/DLNA feature despite the outcry from a minority.

Games is a priority for Sony, but they are willing to do a 180 when a small number of people start complaining? I thought flip-flops like that were a bad thing - at least it was when another company changed their position when a small but vocal group of people (who were probably not even going to buy an Xbox One) cried out. But then again, Blu-ray, Netflix, their own media streaming service, those were a priority and are shipping along side games. So is games a priority, or is Blu-ray/Netflix/streaming service a priority?

• Like 2

Games is a priority for Sony, but they are willing to do a 180 when a small number of people start complaining? I thought flip-flops like that were a bad thing - at least it was when another company changed their position when a small but vocal group of people (who were probably not even going to buy an Xbox One) cried out. But then again, Blu-ray, Netflix, their own media streaming service, those were a priority and are shipping along side games. So is games a priority, or is Blu-ray/Netflix/streaming service a priority?

how do you know they're doing a 180? all the article says is that DLNA and such won't be available ootb. it didn't say anything about it not being available later (which was now pretty much confirmed for the second update)

for all you know they were always planning to release it in that second (or close to) update (which they probably were. it's called getting the more important things finalized first)

how do you know they're doing a 180? all the article says is that DLNA and such won't be available ootb. it didn't say anything about it not being available later (which was now pretty much confirmed for the second update)

for all you know they were always planning to release it in that second (or close to) update (which they probably were. it's called getting the more important things finalized first)

You are spinning faster than Sony is with the changes they are making.

• Like 1

You are spinning faster than Sony is with the changes they are making.

um no. i'm just thinking logically on this one

blame the reporter for confusing people, not sony

all the speculation from this thread is just stupid as sony never said the ps4 would never have mp3/streaming capabilities

all they said is it wouldn't be available right away and that was blown way out of proportion till they said it would be available on the second update

Um that is incorrect.  If it was a games first priority, then they would not have had media features such as their media streaming apps Music Unlimited/Video Unlimited, BluRay playback, etc ready to go with the first update.

Some gaming features were delayed as well.

I think its a bit disingenuous to brush these features off simply because you feel its a vocal minority. Even if it is, the voice is loud enough to reach Sony apparently.

The rumors of dlna and mp3 support coming in the second update at some point also include the idea that Sony added these two things to the list of things to add to the second update only AFTER it heard feedback from users.

So yeah, the idea is that Sony may have added support later or not at all, depending on customer feedback. Its just Sony listening to customers.  That's all a 180 is anyway.  People have pushed the silly idea that doing a '180' is bad, that the term itself is such dirty word.  Well its not.

• Like 2

all the speculation from this thread is just stupid as sony never said the ps4 would never have mp3/streaming capabilities

all they said is it wouldn't be available right away and that was blown way out of proportion till they said it would be available on the second update

This all started because Sony released an official FAQ which made unequivocal statements that the ps4 did not support mp3s and that it did not support dlna, among other things.

If they wanted to avoid any misunderstanding, then all they had to do was say 'at this time', or better yet 'we are working to add such features at a later date'

Note that they in fact use that wording for other features that are being delayed, such as YouTube support, so they were willing to say that.

Now the rumors say that Sony has listened to customer feedback (part of that is proved by the tweets from the Sony exec that confirmed that he would talk to the team about it) and will include at least those two features in the second update.

I have a feeling Sony wanted to see if they could get away with not adding that kind of support, for whatever reason. 

This all started because Sony released an official FAQ which made unequivocal statements that the ps4 did not support mp3s and that it did not support dlna, among other things.

If they wanted to avoid any misunderstanding, then all they had to do was say 'at this time', or better yet 'we are working to add such features at a later date'

Note that they in fact use that wording for other features that are being delayed, such as YouTube support, so they were willing to say that.

Now the rumors say that Sony has listened to customer feedback (part of that is proved by the tweets from the Sony exec that confirmed that he would talk to the team about it) and will include at least those two features in the second update.

i think that's been the problem of the year for many companies. bad wording  :rofl:

um no. i'm just thinking logically on this one

blame the reporter for confusing people, not sony

Sony tells us they are focused only on games, then talk about how they are the #1 console for Netflix (presumably because people are watching more moves than playing games with their PS3) and then ship a bunch of non-games software with the PS4 but leave out the most common and basic of scenarios. But when people complain those non-game features are made a priority because they are moved up in the ship schedule. I just want to know what is a priority with Sony, because games is a priority, no, wait, it is media (for 1.5), no wait, it is media (for 1.5+).

And yes, it is pure spin. Because over and over Microsoft was hit for seemingly innocuous things such as a day 1 update, not having a complete feature set for day 1, etc. but now Sony is having these same issues and it is perfectly fine, nothing to see here. It reminds me of Baghdad Bob (if you are old enough to remember him).

• Like 3

i think that's been the problem of the year for many companies. bad wording  :rofl:

You wont get any argument from me.  Lots of companies have the problem.

Its bit MS in the butt especially bad.  Sony just isn't immune to it.

The weird thing is that in other parts of the FAQ they list things that are not supported but will be in the future yet this issue just said it wasn't supported period.  Maybe it was a shift in priority for them but I have a feeling it wasn't close on the radar before the uproar.

Over at Penny Arcade there is an article about how Microsoft confirmed DLNA (currently being certified) and CD support. They do not support MP3 directly, but you can stream it either with DLNA or Xbox Music. But I am sure that they have it on the list for one of the first updates, and that is not a 180, they are not losing focus on the purpose of the console - games, etc.

Over at Penny Arcade there is an article about how Microsoft confirmed DLNA (currently being certified) and CD support. They do not support MP3 directly, but you can stream it either with DLNA or Xbox Music. But I am sure that they have it on the list for one of the first updates, and that is not a 180, they are not losing focus on the purpose of the console - games, etc.

I just had a quick look and couldn't find the article you were referring to, could you post a link please?

edit nvm, walked into an xbox thread on another forum and there It was :p

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/yes-the-xbox-one-can-play-cds-and-will-support-dlna-streaming