Photo

What was the worst malware your PC ever got?

winxp

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 D!ABOL!C

D!ABOL!C

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One (M8) Android 4.4.3

Posted 08 November 2013 - 16:59

Windows XP - Blaster Worm in 2003 (http://en.wikipedia....(computer_worm))

Back in those days, a fresh install of Windows XP would get the virus within about 12 minutes of being connected to the Internet (just sitting there).  That's what forced Microsoft to put out Windows XP SP2 with an extra feature of a firewall.  Traditionally before then (and after that too), Service Packs did not contain new features.  They were only bug fixes.  The only other "service pack" that has new features was Windows 8.1.

Oh how I remember. I always did a clean install of my OS before going back to College and after XP finished, I kept getting the forced shutdown. I did a second re-install and the same thing happened. So I went online on a second computer and read about it.

The best part was, the next week at College, when we hooked our machines to the network, we got to a landing page that said they had to update antivirus and install patches. Obviously no one did it and our network at school was shutdown for almost a week. Good memories.

#17 winrez

winrez

Chronic Master Debater

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit, Windows 8 64-Bit, Windows RT 8.1 (Surface)
  • Phone: Samsung Focus WP7.8/ Nokia Lumina 520

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:14

The ripper virus, I downloaded some games off a local BBS.

(its the only virus I have ever had) not counting Google desktop installing after I installed Chrome for testing site compatibility.

#18 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:24

Windows XP - Blaster Worm in 2003 (http://en.wikipedia....(computer_worm))

Back in those days, a fresh install of Windows XP would get the virus within about 12 minutes of being connected to the Internet (just sitting there).  That's what forced Microsoft to put out Windows XP SP2 with an extra feature of a firewall.  Traditionally before then (and after that too), Service Packs did not contain new features.  They were only bug fixes.  The only other "service pack" that has new features was Windows 8.1.

I was just about to mention that worm. Man, I remember the headaches it gave me when I was 13 years old. It forced me to learn how to format my computer and install Windows by booting from the disc. I remember the same thing happening to my friend's computers.

#19 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:30

A user got Cryptolocker the other day at work....

http://blog.malwareb...u-need-to-know/

#20 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:50

Oh how I remember. I always did a clean install of my OS before going back to College and after XP finished, I kept getting the forced shutdown. I did a second re-install and the same thing happened. So I went online on a second computer and read about it.

The best part was, the next week at College, when we hooked our machines to the network, we got to a landing page that said they had to update antivirus and install patches. Obviously no one did it and our network at school was shutdown for almost a week. Good memories.

I was just about to mention that worm. Man, I remember the headaches it gave me when I was 13 years old. It forced me to learn how to format my computer and install Windows by booting from the disc. I remember the same thing happening to my friend's computers.

I think the Blaster worm had to have been the most widespread Windows virus in its history.  It was devastating.  Our work network had to be taken offline as we fixed it (worked in IT then).  That was what made software firewalls a requirement from then on.

#21 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:55

Good topic.  I really don't know the worst because it F up my system so bad I couldn't ever locate it. I went into complete BSOD and couldn't recover. Used Acronis True Image to recover a backup. The most annoying ones I've had are the one's that take control of your mouse and it drives you nuts.

#22 zoharzenica

zoharzenica

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:57

Metro...jk

Never got any.

#23 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 08 November 2013 - 18:04

One of those fake ransom-ware proggys on my XP desktop.

I was able to stop it with Task Manager, and do a Delete.

#24 Louisifer

Louisifer

'-'

Posted 08 November 2013 - 18:14

Blaster worm, from the good old days without a firewall :D

I also remember having notifications pop up as well on the desktop.. I was so glad when added firewall as default.

#25 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2013 - 18:31

I don't recall getting any malware myself but the worst I've had to deal with is CryptoLocker. In most cases, unless you want to trust giving them your money, you're screwed without a backup.