How Mandatory Game Installations Will Work On PS4

WTF living under a rock? You only have to download a small percentage before you can play the game.

From the OP: 

If a PS4 user decides to download a game, they will have to wait longer to play. Cerny couldn't provide as narrow an estimate on how long a player who decided to download Knackwould have to wait. That depends in large part on a user's Internet connection speed. Ideally, he said, they wouldn't have to wait more than an hour before beginning to play the partially downloaded games. 

Or do you mean from disc?

He played some Call of Duty: Ghosts. It's a 39-gigabyte installation, Weingarten said. Xbox One will let you play games as they're installing; Weingarten said Ghosts was playable at 51 percent of its installation. It took about 15 minutes to get that far.

http://kotaku.com/the-guy-who-got-the-xbox-one-early-isnt-banned-for-lif-1461593586

WTF living under a rock? You only have to download a small percentage before you can play the game.

Uhm, there are many reports of large sizes being required.  There are reports saying that KZ:SF will require 7gb to be downloaded before it is playable.

Read the OP.  Cerny says you can start playing Knack after about a 10-second load.

This is wrong and another case of Sony fudging numbers.

only have to wait 10s of seconds

This can be anywhere from 10seconds to 90 seconds to even 900 seconds.
  • Like 1

This is wrong and another case of Sony fudging numbers.

This can be anywhere from 10seconds to 90 seconds to even 900 seconds.

But it will be a consistent 10, 90, 900 regardless of internet speed.  

But it will be a consistent 10, 90, 900 regardless of internet speed.

I believe it will be shorter once it is installed?

Installing from a disc is likely to always be faster than downloading a game.

It matters more when the game sizes are in the 40-50gb range.

Since we now know that both consoles require a install and in fact cannot play a game from the disc, it makes sense that Sony and MS would build in these play as you install features to try and cover the fact that you do have to wait a little bit compared to just playing from a disc.

I believe it will be shorter once it is installed?

Well, yes.. being as it is installed.  My point was that you could spend 10 seconds and install a game/get it installing.. or spend an hour getting enough % download to begin.  For some.. a % download is just as fast, others it's the difference between minutes and hours.

confusing message, bad pr, 180

am I doing this right?

They should apologize!  I mean look, the market hates sony so much right now because of this their stock went down 7 cents a share! OMG!

THE SKY IS FALLING!

lol

Well, yes.. being as it is installed.  My point was that you could spend 10 seconds and install a game/get it installing.. or spend an hour getting enough % download to begin.  For some.. a % download is just as fast, others it's the difference between minutes and hours.

I was just pointing out that Cerny didn't say it will take 10s to install Knack.

They should apologize!  I mean look, the market hates sony so much right now because of this their stock went down 7 cents a share! OMG!

THE SKY IS FALLING!

lol

Yep, spot on! :laugh:

I like the PlayStation 2 days of sticking a disc in and playing so much more than what is occurring with today's consoles.

I like the PlayStation 2 days of sticking a disc in and playing so much more than what is occurring with today's consoles.

I agree with that, although you have to admit that its simply more evidence that consoles are becoming more like pcs.

Maybe it was inevitable that as console got more and more powerful, that they will take on more and more pc-like features.  Installing games, day one patches for an OS, patches for games, dlc, digital game downloads, etc, etc.  It all had its roots in pc gaming.

Good to know ahead of release. At least devs will be working with the same requirements on both consoles (Y)

Yeah, no more worrying about who has a hard drive for a game to be installed to.

Thing is though.. all 6x blu ray drives will read at more or less the same speed, and all stock hdds will read/write around the same speed.  However internet connections vary from house to house, even identical connections vary.  By going digital play times will vary by a large amount, ranging from minutes to days depending.   So for some people installed and playing is significantly faster if done physically vs. digitally. 

and again, that's why MS also was planning to sell their digital games on disc for those that wanted to install fast from disc. 

and again, that's why MS also was planning to sell their digital games on disc for those that wanted to install fast from disc. 

What does my post have to do with MS?

What does my post have to do with MS?

because they where the only ones planning to do full 100% digital distribution this generation. well as far as I know they're still doing launch day digital distribution of all games, which is how I plan to get mine anyway, so that when the sharing gets added back in, I can share my games. 

because they where the only ones planning to do full 100% digital distribution this generation. well as far as I know they're still doing launch day digital distribution of all games, which is how I plan to get mine anyway, so that when the sharing gets added back in, I can share my games. 

Sony is doing digital of all games too, but this was about disk install vs digital and how disk will always be faster than digital.

• Like 2

Sony is doing digital of all games too, but this was about disk install vs digital and how disk will always be faster than digital.

And my point was the MS was doing best of both worlds. all digital, but distribution on disks for those that didn't want to download. so why are you going around in circles ?

And my point was the MS was doing best of both worlds. all digital, but distribution on disks for those that didn't want to download. so why are you going around in circles ?

But no one said they weren't?

Everyones approach is the same as last gen, buy on disc or buy digitally...

• Like 1

I don't see what MS is doing has to do with how the game installs will work on the PS4.  You were the one that brought MS up in the first place.  My post was related to digital vs disk installs overall.. not one company over the other.

• Like 1

it was brought up as a counterpoint to you argument that the world wasn't ready for all digital distribution(something sony never planned, and isn't doing, and the whiners caused MS to abandon) where I mentioned that MS already had an interim solution for that, which solved that issue. 

which begs the question, why where you even bringing up the issue of download sizes and all digital downloads being a bad idea in this thread if you weren't hinting at MS' original plan, since Son isn't and where never going to do all digital so it was never an issue there ?...

it was brought up as a counterpoint to you argument that the world wasn't ready for all digital distribution(something sony never planned, and isn't doing, and the whiners caused MS to abandon) where I mentioned that MS already had an interim solution for that, which solved that issue. 

which begs the question, why where you even bringing up the issue of download sizes and all digital downloads being a bad idea in this thread if you weren't hinting at MS' original plan, since Son isn't and where never going to do all digital so it was never an issue there ?...

You are thinking too hard, I never mentioned digital only.  I said that disk install in most cases if not all is faster than downloading the game digitially.  I wasn't talking about internet caps, or ISPs.  I was saying from disk insert to play is faster than clicking download to play.  I said that it is quicker to put a disk in the drive and install from the disk than to download the minimum required part of the game.

Nothing I said had anything to do with going digital only, and it was related to the installation method completely.  

• Like 1

You are thinking too hard, I never mentioned digital only.  I said that disk install in most cases if not all is faster than downloading the game digitially.  I wasn't talking about internet caps, or ISPs.  I was saying from disk insert to play is faster than clicking download to play.  I said that it is quicker to put a disk in the drive and install from the disk than to download the minimum required part of the game.

Nothing I said had anything to do with going digital only, and it was related to the installation method completely.  

But that's not necessarily true either, since both disks and internet downloads where supposed to be playable in ~10 seconds. streaming installs.