AMDs Mantle

amd mantle nvidia directx microsoft opengl

187 replies to this topic

#181 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 March 2014 - 18:56

I wouldn't say there that far behind but its true DirectX hasn't made the significant changes it needed to make until now. But the truth is it was easier for Mantel because they(AMD) make the hardware but if they don't get Nvidia and Intel its worthless because those two companies control the vast majority of the GPU market.  Yes they got EA and Crytek onbard but I guarentee you both companies are going optimize their engines for DirectX12. The fact they showed Forza on Nvidia hardware shows that about close to midway through development. By the end of the year they should have a beta DirectX12 available. 

I think nvidia are going to add there support into mantle cus i can imagine DX12 being good for a wide range of hardware but for high end gaming a non bloated fast API that can be used to run on the latest cards is best. Whether DX12 mimicks mantle or not it will still be bloated so i think mantle will edge it out in performance and especially if they want 4K gaming to take off they ned to squeeze the performance out of the GPU's

#182 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 March 2014 - 19:57

It is jaw dropping how much you can squeeze out of DX11 with good performance throughout.
For those that would want more there is DX 11.1 and 11.2 to take advantage of.

#183 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 24 March 2014 - 00:03

I think nvidia are going to add there support into mantle cus i can imagine DX12 being good for a wide range of hardware but for high end gaming a non bloated fast API that can be used to run on the latest cards is best. Whether DX12 mimicks mantle or not it will still be bloated so i think mantle will edge it out in performance and especially if they want 4K gaming to take off they ned to squeeze the performance out of the GPU's

NVidia aren't going to support Mantle until such time as it becomes an open standard of some form.

#184 OP TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:05

AMD is certainly open to it from everything I've read.

http://www.techradar...tandard-1218560

AMD told TechRadar that it'd be willing to make Mantle, or an API based on it, available across the industry. Even, the company said, if it means Mantle is adopted by competitors like Nvidia.

"Mantle for now is straight up in a closed ecosystem, a closed beta, which you have to do in a complicated project like this to get it off the ground. It's us and a few key game developers," Robert Hallock, technical communications, AMD Graphics & Gaming, told us in a recent interview.

"After that phase is done, we do hope that Mantle becomes an industry standard. We'll be releasing a public SDK later this year, and hope that others adopt it. If they don't adopt it itself, then we hope they adopt APIs similar to it that become an industry standard for PC gaming."

#185 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:15

NVidia aren't going to support Mantle until such time as it becomes an open standard of some form.

It is an open standard FFS, AMD arent charging for it there giving it away for free the thing is to get the most out of it nvidia for example need to write in the specifics to there own architecture to optimally suppport it. Its down to them to do it as AMD cant exactly reverse engineer Nvidia drivers/architecture and add it anyway cus that would create a massive lawsuit

#186 ApuBo

ApuBo

Great GRL/KAL gamer.

• Phone: Android, SGS4

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:26

nvidias_tba_dx11_will_be_better_than_mantle

Dun dun duuun, there's hope for 780Ti Users :D .... i use 2 290x D:

#187 Athernar

Athernar

?

Posted 24 March 2014 - 18:47

It is an open standard FFS, AMD arent charging for it there giving it away for free the thing is to get the most out of it nvidia for example need to write in the specifics to there own architecture to optimally suppport it. Its down to them to do it as AMD cant exactly reverse engineer Nvidia drivers/architecture and add it anyway cus that would create a massive lawsuit

No, it isn't. It's a single vendor-controlled solution, AMD curates the API and has ultimate control over the future of said API. That is the complete opposite of an open standard.

OpenGL is an open standard because it's curated by a consortium group, it's not controlled or dictated by any one vendor.

If AMD want Mantle to be an open standard (and thus have even the slightest chance of NVidia adopting it), they need to either hand the API over to Khronos or form a new consortium jointly with the other graphics vendors.

#188 OP TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 14 April 2014 - 16:28

Anyway, back to the important stuff:

http://techreport.co...-mantle-support

Chalk up another win for AMD's Mantle API. Earlier this morning, AMD announced that Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth, the upcoming sci-fi sequel to Civ V, will support Mantle.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!