Sweet. Dice has measured performance improvements ranging from 14% to 58% (!) - apparently, this is most beneficial to systems with very fast GPUs under graphically heavy workloads. Can't wait for Kaveri numbers and more benchmarks. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/bf4-mantle-live/

AMD did share benchmarks, but they're curiously lacking about the 'in between' GPUs (though I've heard they're still working with DICE on the performance of the 270-280x)

1080p on Ultra with 4X on Kaveri with a 290X was a 40% improvement.  (They're pretty easy to find on WCCFtech, I'd link if I could.)

1080p on Ultra with 4X on Kaveri with a 290X was a 40% improvement. (They're pretty easy to find on WCCFtech, I'd link if I could.)

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it.

Sorry I'm tired of all these GPU makers claiming ###### FPS improvements (in percentages) in some highly specific situation that you'll never come across 99% of the time.

It's like how Nvidia (and AMD) claims these ridiculous improvements with every new driver release and then you get it and your fps is exactly the same. Hell by now Dirt3 should be running at 700 fps because they claim its a 70% increase every ######ing driver.

Sweet. Dice has measured performance improvements ranging from 14% to 58% (!) - apparently, this is most beneficial to systems with very fast GPUs under graphically heavy workloads. Can't wait for Kaveri numbers and more benchmarks. http://battlelog.bat...f4-mantle-live/

AMD did share benchmarks, but they're curiously lacking about the 'in between' GPUs (though I've heard they're still working with DICE on the performance of the 270-280x)

1080p on Ultra with 4X on Kaveri with a 290X was a 40% improvement.  (They're pretty easy to find on WCCFtech, I'd link if I could.)

If this is true this is really good.

We have to keep in mind that BF4 mantle is basically a mantle port of the directx version of the game. Also the devs have no experience working with the Mantle api. Had this game been made with Mantle api in mind by experienced Mantle programmers the diff would probably be bigger.

Mantle gave me a HUGE increase in minimum FPS. the FPS dropping down to 40-50 in specific locations on seige of shanghai and hanai resort is completely fixed with the mantle renderer for me. and this is on a 280x which supposedly isn't optimized yet:

DX11: http://s22.postimg.org/y0j8o86v3/Screenshot_Win32_0004.png [s12.postimg.org]

Mantle: http://s22.postimg.org/qlyi9ladb/Screenshot_Win32_0005.png [s23.postimg.org]

That's about double the minimum FPS!. And if you look at the cpu and gpu utilization, mantle is making much fuller utilization of both. there's clearly a cpu bottlebeck in the dx11 renderer, the fps and gpu usage both drop in tandem on seige of shanghai. And look at the lines on the perfoverlay graph, cpu and gpu are much more in sync and with lower rendering times.

I've noticed two issues so far:

Triple buffering seems broken with the mantle renderer, with vsync enabled fps often drops to exactly half my refresh rate, performing like double buffered vsync. Doesn't happen with the dx11 renderer, and if I switch off vsync in the mantle renderer the drops to 60 fps are gone. I already reported this to amd and repi so I'm sure that will be fixed. I also get some occasional stutters where all the sudden the game just "stops" for a second, and then resumes working perfectly, doesn't happen very often though, and when it does it always seems to be triggered by a jet flying close overhead.

So far I've had no crashes or stability issues with it.

For an early beta this seems quite good, mantle's potential is definitely there, and the performance advantages are definitely real. I can't wait for more updates to smooth things out :)

specs:

i5-2500

16gb ddr3 1866

amd 280x

win 8.1

• Like 2

Mantle gave me a HUGE increase in minimum FPS. the FPS dropping down to 40-50 in specific locations on seige of shanghai and hanai resort is completely fixed with the mantle renderer for me. and this is on a 280x which supposedly isn't optimized yet:

This is impressive considering:

Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon? HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon? R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4? in future AMD Catalyst? releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4? and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them.

http://anandtech.com/show/7729/amd-catalyst-141-beta-drivers-now-available-mantle-frame-pacing-more

Looks like you're in for more happy surprises in the future. I would be jealous but I don't play Battlefield 4.  :p

DX11: http://s22.postimg.org/y0j8o86v3/Screenshot_Win32_0004.png [s12.postimg.org]

Mantle: http://s22.postimg.org/qlyi9ladb/Screenshot_Win32_0005.png [s23.postimg.org]

That's about double the minimum FPS!. And if you look at the cpu and gpu utilization, mantle is making much fuller utilization of both. there's clearly a cpu bottlebeck in the dx11 renderer, the fps and gpu usage both drop in tandem on seige of shanghai. And look at the lines on the perfoverlay graph, cpu and gpu are much more in sync and with lower rendering times.

I've noticed two issues so far:

Triple buffering seems broken with the mantle renderer, with vsync enabled fps often drops to exactly half my refresh rate, performing like double buffered vsync. Doesn't happen with the dx11 renderer, and if I switch off vsync in the mantle renderer the drops to 60 fps are gone. I already reported this to amd and repi so I'm sure that will be fixed. I also get some occasional stutters where all the sudden the game just "stops" for a second, and then resumes working perfectly, doesn't happen very often though, and when it does it always seems to be triggered by a jet flying close overhead.

So far I've had no crashes or stability issues with it.

For an early beta this seems quite good, mantle's potential is definitely there, and the performance advantages are definitely real. I can't wait for more updates to smooth things out :)

specs:

i5-2500

16gb ddr3 1866

amd 280x

win 8.1

This is good news the only difference between your setup and mine is I have an i7-3770k

This has also been a great improvement for me. I haven't recorded any actual figures because I can't really be bothered, but it has certainly increased performance, and I'm on a 7950 which hasn't been optimised yet! My CPU is an 15-2400 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Mantle

For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet.

However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.

Come learn our plans to deliver.

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828184

Sorry, but Microsoft had the last TWO revisions of DX to deliver and couldn't, what makes you think they can now?

Sorry, but Microsoft had the last TWO revisions of DX to deliver and couldn't, what makes you think they can now?

Looking at my Steam game collection, DX does deliver.

Looking at my Steam game collection, DX does deliver.

Popular != deliver.

Not saying directx don't just that the number of games using it doesn't mean anything about its quality.

• 3 weeks later...

http://techreport.com/news/26190/crytek-touts-new-cryengine-pledges-mantle-support

RIP Mantle indeed ;)

Crytek has joined the growing list of developers signed on to support AMD's Mantle API. The announcement was made at GDC this afternoon; it says support for the close-to-the-metal programming interface will be added to the latest version of CryEngine. Note the use of the term "will." Mantle apparently hasn't been integrated into the engine yet, and there's no information on when the first CryEngine games will support it.

I hope they add support from GCN 1.0 cards soon because I have worse performance with Mantle than DirectX in Thief with a 7850. Their 14.3 driver didn't help matters either since it made Windows hang on the logo screen. I did manage to boot once with "Last Good Configuration" (that's when I tested), but after that, it would always hang no matter what I did, safe mode as well. Had to use a restore from before I installed the driver in the end.