Static Noise on my USB Powered Speaker

I had just bought a new USB powered speaker. JBL Pebble.

Anyway I had this problem when I tuned my speakers to like more than 50% and above, there is some static sound coming out from the speaker. Static sound that reacts when I scroll my mouse, when I click, when my HDD is loading.

I tried using an external USB charger to power the speaker and all the static sound is gone.

I also tried using my computer to power the speaker and the 2.5mm jack connected to my headphone and there is no static sound either....

This is because the power provided through your USB port is not clean; there's no proper isolation from the electronics of the computer. From what you describe, the loop forms when both cables are connected to the computer.

You could try using the different USB ports on your case and see if one is cleaner than the others. Powering your speakers through an external charger would be one possible solution to the problem, as you've found. Another would be to use a USB power isolator such as the Olimex USB-ISO. I've used this to break a nasty ground loop on my near-field monitors.

It seems like these small speakers were mainly designed for use with laptops, where electronic noise is less of an issue than with desktops.

This is because the power provided through your USB port is not clean; there's no proper isolation from the electronics of the computer. You could try using the different USB ports on your case and see if one is cleaner than the others. Powering your speakers through an external charger would be one possible solution to the problem, as you've found. Another would be to use a USB power isolator such as the Olimex USB-ISO. I've used this to break a nasty ground loop on my near-field monitors.

It seems like these small speakers were mainly designed for use with laptops, where electronic noise is less of an issue than with desktops.

Hmm but when my desktop is powering the speaker using its usb and I am playing music with my handphone it works totally fine.

Hmm but when my desktop is powering the speaker using its usb and I am playing music with my handphone it works totally fine.

It looks like your problem is analogous to a ground loop; when your speakers are connected via two cables to your computer, this creates an unwanted electric circuit carrying noise with it. Either power your speakers by another source or isolate one of the connections as I suggested.

• Like 1