55 replies to this topic

#46 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,418 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:09

Cannabis can help with that :)

No, an extract of it might help.

Edit: Just smoking weed or whatever won't help, might might make you feel better during chemo, but chemo is what's going to be stopping the cancer.

#47 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

• 2,647 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:13

Unfortunately chemo is a guessing game in most cases. It can make cancer hide for a while but in most cases it comes back sooner or later. If possible (depends on cancer of course) surgery is the way to go and even that won't give you any warranty of getting rid of it. My grandmother fought cancer for 7 years, 3 surgeries, countless chemo (where they said that cancer is gone but came back again) and finally passed away because there was nothing to cut nor no point of giving chemo as the cancer had spreaded far already.

I actually deeply hate this "alternative" medicine crap people are talking about. You really think people would go trough all the suffer and pain with surgeries and chemo if that **** actually worked? Take that crap and keep eating it but for the love of god don't suggest it to others.

#48 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:13

No, an extract of it might help.

Edit: Just smoking weed or whatever won't help, might might make you feel better during chemo, but chemo is what's going to be stopping the cancer.

No, that's what I said  :)

Look at the quote of the post that I was responding to  :rolleyes:

#49 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,721 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:49

Unfortunately chemo is a guessing game in most cases. It can make cancer hide for a while but in most cases it comes back sooner or later. If possible (depends on cancer of course) surgery is the way to go and even that won't give you any warranty of getting rid of it. My grandmother fought cancer for 7 years, 3 surgeries, countless chemo (where they said that cancer is gone but came back again) and finally passed away because there was nothing to cut nor no point of giving chemo as the cancer had spreaded far already.

I actually deeply hate this "alternative" medicine crap people are talking about. You really think people would go trough all the suffer and pain with surgeries and chemo if that **** actually worked? Take that crap and keep eating it but for the love of god don't suggest it to others.

Chemo isn't as much a guessing game as such. it does kill the cancer. however it might not remove all of it in all cases. that's why there's such a long time after chemo before then can deem you cancer free, and even then you need to be regularly checked in case it comes back, as even if they do remove it all, it doesn't fix the cause of the cancer if there is one, and a microscopic cell might remain, and come back years and years later. 

cancer's a real bitch. but while chemo isn't 100% effective on the best of days, it's not fair to call it a guessing game, and not all cancers can be surgically remove unfortunately. and even when you can, you have many of the same issues as with chemo, just less bad side effects during treatment. 

#50 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

• 2,647 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:58

Well I won't argue on that. I'm just talking from my own experiences. While my grandmother had both cemo and surgeries and she died years later my grandfather had only 2 surgeries 10 years ago and he's still going strong. But like you said, unfortunately not all cancer cases can have a surgery.

#51 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,881 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 23:57

Maybe your reality is anecdotal :)

i wish. :(

ALL has a high degree of success but also a high degree of a re-incidence during treatment. AML, on the other hand, the success rate is lower than ALL but during the treatment the re-incidence rate is also lower than ALL.

Also that study you presented includes US (more than 50% of results), being a bit skewed for my country, where the percentages are lower; similar, but lower.

Saying that i must also say that some (don't know the percentages) of the deaths of the childs that have ALL/AML but because they die from another decease (by having a very debilitated immune system everything can be potential dangerous, even some of the meds can provoke infections like pancreathites) don't count towards those stats, meaning they are even more skewed. :(

#52 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:24

i wish. :(
ALL has a high degree of success but also a high degree of a re-incidence during treatment. AML, on the other hand, the success rate is lower than ALL but during the treatment the re-incidence rate is also lower than ALL.

Also that study you presented includes US (more than 50% of results), being a bit skewed for my country, where the percentages are lower; similar, but lower.

Saying that i must also say that some (don't know the percentages) of the deaths of the childs that have ALL/AML but because they die from another decease (by having a very debilitated immune system everything can be potential dangerous, even some of the meds can provoke infections like pancreathites) don't count towards those stats, meaning they are even more skewed. :(

Sorry, I didn't realize how insensitive that comment could be last night :pinch:  What I meant by anecdotal is that maybe your personal experience has skewed your perception of the reality, as is typical with anecdotal evidence.

Those stats come from the American Cancer Society, and are published in peer reviewed publications.

What independent studies were/are you citing that aren't skewed?

When has it ever been uncommon to disregard secondary causes of death that aren't directly related to the illness being researched in a medical study? That is done precisely to keep the study from being skewed.

At this point, you're taking umbrage with how the American Cancer Society has conducted itself, and it's research, since 1952. Maybe you should write them a letter.

#53 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 00:57

I actually deeply hate this "alternative" medicine crap people are talking about. Y

Same here. I don't think 99% of them work and all they seem to do is to give people a false hope.

#54 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,437 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:17

Let's be clear: there is no such thing as "alternative medicine".  "Alternative medicine" is essentially an oxymoron. If something is effective it stops being "alternative" and just becomes medicine. If a natural remedy works to relieve an ailment we study it to understand why it works.

#55 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

• 13,947 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:32

What gets me is some people who will go ballistic if you call an alternative medicine they are taking a drug. I mean, what? The definition of a drug is something you ingest or otherwise introduce to the body to produce a physiological effect (whatever that may be, obviously). That would include an "alternative medicine" as much as anything else you take. There is no "natural" cures or "natural" medicine. If you take it to get better, get high, lower pain symptoms etc it's all drugs.

Anyways, I'm kinda shocked that this Amish family "fled" the country. Aren't there plenty of places in the US that will treat people with things other than chemo and radiation? Or were they just worried about being prosecuted and/or arrested? I suppose since the county/state took their rights away for making medical decisions for the girl they felt they had no choice. Either way, I hope whatever treatment she's getting is helping somewhat.

#56 anthdci

anthdci

Neowinian

• 410 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:08

Got to love the terms, natural remedies, and alternative medicine. So that'll be untested then, but the terms make them sound like a viable alternative. Chemo isn't nice, but along with surgery it is your best chance of surviving cancer.