• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 02 December 2013 - 15:58

Just a note, not all laptops out there have an mSATA slot and not everyone is willing to give up their storage for some speed bump.

This solution is much better than Seagate's Hybrid SSHD implementation.

You must be really misinformed if you think it will only be a small speed increase, it's going to be a huge increase period, that's the main selling point of SSDs speed, and you shouldn't be needing huge storage if you are using a laptop, that's what PCs and external drives are for

#17 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 02 December 2013 - 16:09

The only real drawback with this solution is the price. I guess that's what paying for a premium is all about.

That may be true...but why sacrifice such huge storage for an SSD when you can have them both?

It's really up to the controller inside the drive and drivers. Since it's 2 drives using the same SATA connection i assume it requires special drivers and a special controller. If those are not great then it might be not as good as one SSD inside and one external HD connected via USB3 or eSATA.

#18 OP medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:52

Please watch the following video (after 15 secs adv):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QQx7PlIXFuE

Yes you can use it as an external HDD using one of the followin ones:

http://www.ebay.com....closure-usb-3-0

(Move down few lines, use USB 3.0 for 2.5" HDD).

Quote from HP support website.Question is I want an enclosure to support 3.5 as well as 2.5" from Canada...Any ideas?

#19 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:07

Quote from HP support website.Question is I want an enclosure to support 3.5 as well as 2.5" from Canada...Any ideas?

Get an enclosure for 3.5" SATA drives. The connectors will be the same. The only issue is that it probably isn't designed to house 2.5" ssd.

#20 OP medhunter

medhunter

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:48

My brother has a converter from 2.5 to 3.5"

#21 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 03 December 2013 - 13:23

It's really up to the controller inside the drive and drivers. Since it's 2 drives using the same SATA connection i assume it requires special drivers and a special controller. If those are not great then it might be not as good as one SSD inside and one external HD connected via USB3 or eSATA.

Considering you'll probably only store stuff on the HDD, the likeliness is it should on the whole perform as well as a dedicated SSD, except for big file transfers. Maybe not a problem even at that depending on how the controller shares the data.

#22 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 03 December 2013 - 14:06

My brother has a converter from 2.5 to 3.5"

Do you mean a mounting bracket? Intel's come with those per default -- dunno if all SSDs do though. Also, keep in mind that they won't necessarily work well because enclosures don't necessarily have you screw a drive in like a case HDD bay would. 

#23 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2013 - 14:15

Obviously the WD Black 2 is aimed at people who do photo / video editing in the field, not the normal consumer. If you have the OS on the SSD, and your data on the spinning disk, I don't see that you'd have a lot of times where you were trying to heavily access both drives.

It makes sense to me, especially if you have an ultra book and work in areas with very limited space.

#24 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 03 December 2013 - 19:04

Obviously the WD Black 2 is aimed at people who do photo / video editing in the field, not the normal consumer. If you have the OS on the SSD, and your data on the spinning disk, I don't see that you'd have a lot of times where you were trying to heavily access both drives.

It makes sense to me, especially if you have an ultra book and work in areas with very limited space.

The performance specs aren't even near SATA III speeds anyway, so it is probably not going to make a difference in performance even if you did do concurrent access on the ssd and hdd. Did you guys really think this would saturate the port or bus?

#25 OP medhunter

medhunter

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:27

Do you mean a mounting bracket? Intel's come with those per default -- dunno if all SSDs do though. Also, keep in mind that they won't necessarily work well because enclosures don't necessarily have you screw a drive in like a case HDD bay would. 

Yep, that is it.

Still want one from Canada!! Any help with shopping for 3.5" enclosure!!!

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:57

You must be really misinformed if you think it will only be a small speed increase, it's going to be a huge increase period, that's the main selling point of SSDs speed, and you shouldn't be needing huge storage if you are using a laptop, that's what PCs and external drives are for

Correction, it's a big medium to big speed increase in disk loading times. 

of course, if you do some gaming on your laptop, two f2p MMO's and you filled up a 250 SSD along with windows and your normal selection of apps and documents..

#27 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 December 2013 - 21:47

SATA is designed for this setup and I doubt the drives will come close to saturating the bus under normal use.

I wouldn't run a mission critical 900 GB SQL server database on this, but a laptop will see a huge speed increase.

#28 OP medhunter

medhunter

Posted 09 February 2014 - 19:05

I already installed the SSD in my laptop.I got a 2.5" case from an external WD HDD case for the replaced 750GB HDD  and it worked like a charm

Still I am searching for a 3.5" case for my internal desktop green 649GB WD to make it behave like an external drive(Just like the 750GB HDD)

#29 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:47

Hello,

Intel's come with those per default -- dunno if all SSDs do though.

Just for info, Samsung's Pro and Evo dont come with it. I did get a case that had bays prepared for both 2.5" and 3.5"

#30 EyEvil

EyEvil

I let the dogs out!

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:04

I just did a drive change on my desktop, from my 120gb ssd to 480gb ssd, what I used was EASEUS Todo Backup to clone the drive and in 30 min I was on the new drive without re-installing anything at all. The old ssd is now on the laptop, but this time I didn't want to clone from hdd to ssd, I just re-installed the whole thing and activated the Win 7 licence since it is attached to my motherboard, so it was no problem.