Photo

Do you still use a mouse and keyboard?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: Mouse and Keyboard - Fading away, or here forever?

For personal, non-office computing, do you use a mouse&keyboard, or touchscreen?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,381 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:27

Just saying its pretty obvious who that one vote is on the poll ;) and his name is from a movie  :rofl:

#62 yakumo

yakumo

Neowinian

• 660 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:28

Quake.

/end :)

#63 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,232 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:39

I absolutely hate the trackpad on my personal laptop, the right click on it only works if you hit it in the absolute right place, otherwise it will click but not do anything. (Lenovo Ideapad Y500 SLI Edition)

#64 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

• 1,696 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:49

Good point! Where's the option for trackball? That's been my pointer of choice on my desktop for over a decade - I've used the same one on 3 computers now!

In what world is a trackball not a mouse?  When I said the word "mouse", I meant anything that controls a cursor on screen.  Whether it is a wired mouse, wireless mouse, trackball, track pad, nerd stick, telekinesis, if it controls a cursor, it is a mouse.

#65 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 2,200 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:53

In what world is a trackball not a mouse?  When I said the word "mouse", I meant anything that controls a cursor on screen.  Whether it is a wired mouse, wireless mouse, trackball, track pad, nerd stick, telekinesis, if it controls a cursor, it is a mouse.

Sorry, I was just trying to have a little fun. No harm meant.

Telekinesis? Does Jean Grey have an account here? :D

#66 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,587 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:59

I think a lot of people agree that the tactile feedback provided by a traditional keyboard and mouse has not yet been matched by their touchscreen alternatives.  Touchscreens are nice for mobile use such as on a phone or tablet when you're out and about and want to perform some quick work; but when you want to sit down and write a paper or play a game or get some serious work done, nothing beats mechanical buttons.  It gets annoying playing android games when you die because you didn't quite touch the power-up or item perfectly, and therefore it didn't register.

#67 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,845 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:10

I have a Surface but it wasn't the best buy I ever made as I simply don't use it enough.

My phone is touchscreen but the main PC isn't.

#68 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,391 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:03

Since we are seeing big name companies like Windows fading away from the traditional mouse&keyboard environment, and shifting towards a more touchscreen-oriented user interface, I find myself wondering; are touchscreens really as dominant as people think they are?

Windows isn't a company, and I see no strives within Microsofts OS offerings to fade away from the keyboard at all.

#69 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 11,104 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:30

Yes, I use a laptop trackpad and keyboard. I prefer it over touch screens and virtual keyboards for many reasons such as it's faster to type it with, it's way easier to play games using physical buttons/keys and lastly, shortcuts keys generally work better on a real keyboard. :) I could post more reasons, but I think I'll stop myself before getting carried away.