Computer Speakers

Why are some people so hateful of bose ? what are the better options ? 

I notice PCmag rated this http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372400,00.asp one above it... I have 14 days to return it if I can be convinced of a better option..

Bose have long had a reputation of being overpriced when compared to similar quality speakers. My dad bought a Bose surround sound system many years ago and spent over $900 for it.  A similarly sounding system could have probably been gotten for around half that.  But, that's Bose.  I bought for $99 the Companion 2 Series 2 speakers a couple of years ago for my computer, and they sound great.  But I would never buy Bose for a real home stereo system, since they use special circuitry and manipulate the sound coming from the amp.  So, my home speakers are Polk Audio's.  But I've heard the Companion series, and for a PC configuration, they sound good.  Of course, you still paid more than for similarly sounding system.

You could've done way better for the price. Bose is notorious for being overpriced. I have Bose surround sound speakers for my home theater, hooked up to an Onkyo 5.1 receiver, only because they were hand me downs from my parents. I personally would've gone for something else for the money.

For years the word in the audiophile community about Bose was - "Bose, no highs, no lows.!"   Lots of mid-range emphasis, over priced, very well marketed, not worth buying.  Go with the advice Andre is giving.  A good 2.0 or 2.1 system should meet your needs for both music and a powerful movie listening experience.  Spend the money on quality speakers not quantity as in a 5.1 system.

Guys, you do realize that the Bose speakers she bought are 2.1, right?

Yes, I do.  What's your point?   She could have done much better quality/price wise is the point with myself and others in the thread.

Yes, I do.  What's your point?   She could have done much better quality/price wise is the point with myself and others in the thread.

You said "Spend the money on quality speakers not quantity as in a 5.1 system."

She didn't buy a 5.1, so there's no point in saying it.  There are plenty of quality 5.1 PC speakers out there anyway.

I also already said that what she bought was overpriced...

You said "Spend the money on quality speakers not quantity as in a 5.1 system."

She didn't buy a 5.1, so there's no point in saying it.  There are plenty of quality 5.1 PC speakers out there anyway.

I also already said that what she bought was overpriced...

She was considering returning them, hence my statement about 5.1.  Yes there are some quality 5.1 systems, but for her budget I believe a better quality 2.0 or 2.1 would serve her better.

So you said they were overpriced <shrug>.  Am I not allowed to say that also?

Hello,

I think Andre S. said it best; There is SOOO much information missing from what you want exactly. Its hard to recommend a exact set.

That being said, I have Logitech 7.1 which are awesome after years of use and Ill problably repeat for next speakers I get.

Hmm....it seems they dont make 7.1s anymore, I imagine because audio sources are encoded to 5.1 instead of 7.1

She was considering returning them, hence my statement about 5.1.  Yes there are some quality 5.1 systems, but for her budget I believe a better quality 2.0 or 2.1 would serve her better.

So you said they were overpriced <shrug>.  Am I not allowed to say that also?

Well she spent over $400 on those Bose speakers, so she basically can afford any PC speaker system ever made.

Those Bose try to imitate 5.1 sound, so she might as well buy the real deal if she has the desk space.

I upgrading from a 2.1 to a 5.1 a few years ago, and it sounds much better having sound coming at you from more directions.

And tuning the equalizer correctly is vital to making any speaker sound optimal.

Today I purchased the Bose Companion 5... $414 after taxes ... ? bad choice ?  Can I do better for less ? 

IMHO Bose is a good choice. The company has done lots of research in the field of acoustics. However, you can do a lot better by spending just a little more. 

Why are some people so hateful of bose? 

It's because Bose doesn't disclose some vital information about their products, the wattage. Their rationale is that audio quality is subjective, it depends on the environment, that wattage isn't a true indicator of the power (similarly to torque vs horsepower argument in cars), and some other philosophical arguments (like you can't quantify audio quality, etc). To a certain extent, they are right. However, it doesn't excuse them from not giving full information about their products.

Going by the best deals at Futureshop (on sale, on clearance), you can get:

Yamaha 5.1 (4K ready!) for $200

and:

Option A. 

Two Polk Speakers ($250) + Polk Sub ($100) 

Option B.

Two Energy Speakers ($170) + Energy Sub (200)

Option C. 

Two Energy Speakers ($170) +  Polk Sub ($100)

+ cables.

p.s. You can add the sub later. You'll still be very pleased with the sound even without the sub. The experience will be totally different. Both of these satellites are amazing, but, if I were to make the choice, I'd pick Energy Connoisseur  :)

You are damned right here. Room acoustics and setup is very important and it is very hard to do well. I think it is probably the most unappreciated part of the equation.

I agree!

Most people don't even begin to consider that fact!

As long as it's LOUD, it MUST be good, is the logic now a days!

I love music - and i'm going to hook it up to a TV for my bed room. But I want it to be extremely loud. I like the Bose - it's loud but i'm more impressed by it's clarity. More bass would be nice - but I don't see any legit suggestions. Sure getting a receiver will help but they do for $200 and I don't even have any speakers as yet. 

I don't like the idea of 2.0 system with receiver. 

and please stop assuming about my sex .. I am a man lol. 

lol, I always thought you were a guy.

You probably got more advice in this thread because people thought otherwise.  :rofl:

lol, I always thought you were a guy.

You probably got more advice in this thread because people thought otherwise.  :rofl:

I like how after the initial first comment saying "she", everyone kept saying "she" and "her"...

Okay guys what about this one ? I like the price and it seems like a big steal with $400 off 

the only thing powered in that is the sub woofer.  The satellites will need power from a receiver or amplifier

these are both what I would consider entry level receivers.  I would get a receiver in the 500 range, this would put you in the decent receiver category....but I am trying to get you into low cost/entry level/good sound.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV375/Yamaha-RX-V375.html

also if in canada, look for it in canada. 

Just tried the check out to Canada and it's going to cost $270 just for shipping 

Where are they keeping their stock, on the ######ing moon?  :(

I love music - and i'm going to hook it up to a TV for my bed room. But I want it to be extremely loud. I like the Bose - it's loud but i'm more impressed by it's clarity. More bass would be nice - but I don't see any legit suggestions. Sure getting a receiver will help but they do for $200 and I don't even have any speakers as yet. 

I don't like the idea of 2.0 system with receiver. 

and please stop assuming about my sex .. I am a man lol. 

If you are using the Bose system and like the sound and loudness then by all means continue to enjoy them.  In the end, only you can determine what you are/would be happy with.  Many excellent suggestions have been made.  You could do a lot worse than the Bose and they are certainly designed to fulfill many consumers need for pleasant sounding music and movies.  :)

Where are they keeping their stock, on the ****ing moon?  :(

Good question ...I think it's the weight of it tho..but still a cost twice as much as the product is a bit extreme.. 

isn't there a system with good sub and sat ? instead of needing to buy a receiver ? I don't know hot to see these things up. Plus $300 for something I don't even know how to use.. i'm sure ill need cables etc to adapt it to the computer.. 

The CAN option is like $240 ..receiver would need to be cheaper - just to exploit the sat speakers...