Photo

Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, she responds on live tv.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,797 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:51

I know there are lots of arguements about BMI etc and I don't know much about you personally but speaking for myself, I was around 196 at my heaviest. I walked to work (30 minutes there, 30 minutes back) so by no means was physically inactive, based on the govt recommendations, I was double what I should do a day to stay "healthy", yet I was border line obese .

I had to seriously cut down my eating, joined a gym, went running etc and nearly a year on I have dropped down to 167 but still need to drop more to be classified as "normal" weight. I like my food, I also like the unhealthy stuff and carbs. I know I have relaxed my diet alot recently hence why I cannot shift the last few pounds. I also know that to get to what I want to be I have to be better with my diet which makes me unhappy, hence why I have yet to do it. 

Is it easy to loose weight, of course, is it easy to get to what society thinks is a "normal" weight? Not at all.

#47 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:19

I know there are lots of arguements about BMI etc and I don't know much about you personally but speaking for myself, I was around 196 at my heaviest. I walked to work (30 minutes there, 30 minutes back) so by no means was physically inactive, based on the govt recommendations, I was double what I should do a day to stay "healthy", yet I was border line obese .

I had to seriously cut down my eating, joined a gym, went running etc and nearly a year on I have dropped down to 167 but still need to drop more to be classified as "normal" weight. I like my food, I also like the unhealthy stuff and carbs. I know I have relaxed my diet alot recently hence why I cannot shift the last few pounds. I also know that to get to what I want to be I have to be better with my diet which makes me unhappy, hence why I have yet to do it. 

Is it easy to loose weight, of course, is it easy to get to what society thinks is a "normal" weight? Not at all.

Eat healthy, work out, die anyway...

If people enjoy the healthy living thing then good for them, but i don't see the point in people forcing themselves to be someone they're not and generally just living in a unhappy way. I don't consider myself very healthy, i tried being 100% healthy and it makes me unhappy, so i'm going to live my life how i want and if i die a little younger, at least i'll die happy... Thats just me though, i'm sure there are plenty of people who are slightly over weight and are unhappy.

ATT00008.jpg

#48 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,022 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:28

This is a interesting TED talk that obesity could  be nothing more than a side effect (like the skin turns black and blue when you get a muscle bruise) of blood sugar issues.

It's not a conclusion but seems to demonstrate evidence he wants to research and we may be going about diabetes <-> obesity the wrong way. 

In essence diabetes causing obesity, not obesity causing diabetes. 

http://www.ted.com/t...t_diabetes.html

dont think that makes much sense diabetic people I know lose weight cause their bodies cant process the sugar and they just ###### it out

#49 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,342 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:45

Rule 1 : Don't call a woman fat. Why? Most women suffer from self confidence issues, aka like most of us, but only x1000 (its been proven according to Scientology :shifty: ). Also duping a female into false belief of looking good is the kindest act of non selfishness....oh wait... :D

On topic : I've got mixed feelings, think she handled it well,but then again not so well.

#50 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,797 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:05

dont think that makes much sense diabetic people I know lose weight cause their bodies cant process the sugar and they just **** it out

The diabetic people you know are clearly not careful enough with their diet!!

What you are describing is called Diabetic Ketocidosis, when Type1 or advanced type 2 diabetics are not controlling their insulin correctly then the sugar in their blood stream cannot be converted to Glucose (the body's fuel) and starts to burn its fat supplies instead. When the body burns fat it produces and acid called Ketones, symptoms of a build up of this are things from vomiting, dehydration, (which comes back to your comment which I am assuming is supposed to say Urine, this causes people to drink more) with the more serious consequences moving into dropping into a coma and even death.

The above is down right dangerousand is asking for Darwin to give out another award.

With a correctly managed diet, you are just as suspetible of weight gain then any other person and actually is viewed as a common side effect of taking insulin. I don't know the full ins and outs of this but I suspect it is because of the potential sporadic and sudden nature of being able to abosrb and process the sugar in your blood levels rather than a natural cycle that a person with a fully functioning pancreas would experience.

#51 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,230 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 22:22

When in doubt blame the thyroid!

#52 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

• 286 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 22:42

So am I the only one that agree's with the note to the Anchor woman? I mean did he lie about anything? Why do people like her get so upset about the truth?

It's not just about how others view you, it's about your freaking health, your future health insurance bills, loved ones around you and how failing health can or will eventually effect them, the amount of food resources you selfishly consume in spite of a growing civilization, the money you give to corporations that make unhealthy foods because you keep giving them money that in turn influences peoples options and prices as well as children's choices, the infinite amount of clothing sizes stores have to carry, your responsibility for the pajama pants fad imo..........point is, most of these obese people have no willpower, no self control and no mental ability to be a responsible for oneself and just a complete lack of respect for the human body and how our bodies function in nature.

This is why obese people disgust me, not because they are obese in of itself but because of everything else associated with it. This anchor woman, by her own reporting of this letter and making it out like the author is a bad person only serves to really be telling kids it's ok to be fat and that people should not look down on you so go ahead and get fat as you please and we will fight all these bullies until everyone looks at us as being normal....well it's not normal, natural nor anything else! There is a difference between bullying and constructive critisim, critiques should be taken as flaws that you can try to improve on, to be a better, stronger and healthier person both mentally, physically and spirtually.

#53 kronckew

kronckew

Neowinian

• 122 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:15

people think they have a right to not be offended. they don't.

she's fat. obese.

so am i.

and, the way news people are looked on in society, she is a 'role model'.

it's because we eat too much. period.

i became type II diabetic. after i was told to lose weight & stop eating sugar, etc. to help keep me alive, i lost 30 lbs. (sofar). having high blood pressure, and having had a mini-stroke (TIA)  helped focus my efforts.

all the BS and rhetoric about genes and obesity does not change the simple equation  between food intake, physical activity and weight. eat more than you burn & your weight goes up. some people faster than others, for genetic reasons, but still... same the other way, eat less than you burn and lose weight, again some faster than others.

it's not will power. it's won't power that is needed. everyone can think up a thousand reasons not to change their life styles. food can be an addiction, like cigarettes, and it's a continual battle to overcome it, not helped by those who refuse to. she obviously cannot take constructive criticism. she also should not air her dirty linen in public.

p.s. - my diabetes is now under control, as is my high blood pressure, but i will continue to eat less and healthier than before.

#54 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,303 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:24

Only if he keeps sending email and goes after her, then that is bully.  In this case, he is only a jerk.

But anyway ... obesity is the new normal in the US ....

#55 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 5,083 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:57

As a healthcare professional and gym enthusiast, having a few extra pounds is NOT always a choice, however obesity is 100% preventable and it disgusts me how in denial so many people are.

#56 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 5,083 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:58

people think they have a right to not be offended. they don't.

she's fat. obese.

so am i.

and, the way news people are looked on in society, she is a 'role model'.

it's because we eat too much. period.

i became type II diabetic. after i was told to lose weight & stop eating sugar, etc. to help keep me alive, i lost 30 lbs. (sofar). having high blood pressure, and having had a mini-stroke (TIA)  helped focus my efforts.

all the BS and rhetoric about genes and obesity does not change the simple equation  between food intake, physical activity and weight. eat more than you burn & your weight goes up. some people faster than others, for genetic reasons, but still... same the other way, eat less than you burn and lose weight, again some faster than others.

it's not will power. it's won't power that is needed. everyone can think up a thousand reasons not to change their life styles. food can be an addiction, like cigarettes, and it's a continual battle to overcome it, not helped by those who refuse to. she obviously cannot take constructive criticism. she also should not air her dirty linen in public.

p.s. - my diabetes is now under control, as is my high blood pressure, but i will continue to eat less and healthier than before.

I wish more diabetics had the initiative you have. I really liked this.

#57 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,836 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:01

Then she should stop eating thyroids! :laugh:

#58 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

• 5,083 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:09

And then get on a daily dose of metoprolol.