Crane collapse in Germany

BERLIN (AP) ? A building crane collapsed Wednesday onto a supermarket in western Germany, killing one person and injuring at least five others, police said.

Rescuers were struggling to comb through the wreckage of the Aldi supermarket in the town of Bad Homburg, near Frankfurt, because parts of the building remained at risk of collapse, police said in a statement.

"It can't be ruled out that more people are (trapped) in that area," the statement said. Two of the injured were reported to be in serious condition.

The crane fell onto the checkout area of the Aldi supermarket shortly before noon, Bad Homburg police spokesman Siegfried Schlott told The Associated Press.

It had been stationed at a construction site next door.

source

Folks used to build stone pyramids, cathedrals and strongpoints using mules, pulleys and their bare hands. Whatever happened, now that we have machines, everything seems to be made from cardboard.

What exactly in the story is made from cardboard?  How does the building of pyramids relate?  Less people die in construction now than they did back then!

• Like 2

What exactly in the story is made from cardboard?  How does the building of pyramids relate?  Less people die in construction now than they did back then!

The damn supermarket. If the crane were to collapse onto a proper stone building, I assume the latter wouldn't even sneeze chalk.

Excuse me if I'm overly agitated about supermarkets at the moment. One specific former Soviet republic has a fair bit of a crap happening regarding supermarket buildings presently.

The damn supermarket. If the crane were to collapse onto a proper stone building, I assume the latter wouldn't even sneeze chalk.

Excuse me if I'm overly agitated about supermarkets at the moment. One specific former Soviet republic has a fair bit of a crap happening regarding supermarket buildings presently.

Do you think they had a crane to drop onto a 'proper' stone building back then to test that theory?

Folks used to build stone pyramids, cathedrals and strongpoints using mules, pulleys and their bare hands. Whatever happened, now that we have machines, everything seems to be made from cardboard.

Germany is one of the few places left that build things to last and take pride in manufacturing quality goods.

Unlike most of the world that uses planned obsessed and made as cheap as possible. 

The pyramids were made with slave labor, and I'm making educated guess a LOT of slaves died making the pyramids.

Looks to be a similar construction to the crane that collapse earlier in the year,whilst they are stable they are prone to high winds and need regular maintenance.

Where exactly in your thoughts they are going to be?

I will be thinking of the dead and sympathizing for the wounded, and all their families. It will be a rough time for them.

You got any idea how heavy an industrial building crane weighs?  To suggest an old stone building would be fine, is a fair stretch of the imagination.  Unless of course you have no idea what you're talking about.

You got any idea how heavy an industrial building crane weighs?  To suggest an old stone building would be fine, is a fair stretch of the imagination.  Unless of course you have no idea what you're talking about.

Nope.