Photo

Renting routers?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2013 - 18:31

Every 2 years I find myself wanting a new router... Is there a service that rents routers? I know some ISPs package routers and modems but mine doesn't need a modem so they don't' offer this.

playing the ebay reselling game is more trouble than it's worth. 

#2 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 December 2013 - 18:34

Every 2 years I find myself wanting a new router... Is there a service that rents routers? I know some ISPs package routers and modems but mine doesn't need a modem so they don't' offer this.

Why you want to rent it?  You can buy it from retail stores such as Walmart, Best Buy, etc...  you keep it. If you get new one, you can sell the old one as long as it works... otherwise give it to some company for recycling.

#3 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 36

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:14

generally by the time you are done with your renting term you have bought the equipment several times over.  It is tech, tech goes down in price rapidly esp when a shiny new one comes out.

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:17

as cheap as a consumer router is i do not see anyone that would rent one that would be cost effective. being that you can buy one for around $100 for a decent one and it should last you a few years. The one i have now is running on nearly 3 years old and it works great. (but i am running DD-WRT so it has a lot more features)

#5 OP capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:27

Yea, reason I want to rent is I want the shiny $200 router. and in 1 year I will want the next $200 router. If I rent, maybe I can get it for <$100 per year. Sure I won't own the equipment but I get to upgrade as often as I want.

I imagine this is a horrible business case, wish someone made it work though. 

#6 ShadowMajestic

ShadowMajestic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:30

Why don't you? :)

wish someone made it work though. 

#7 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:30

Some stores offer rental agreements on hardware but it will cost you a lot of money per month and you'll be tied into long contracts as these types of agreements are for businesses that are buying in loads of IT. You will save money by buying a new router every year.

I would say something that's $200 you'd probably have to pay $15 a month for the router and you will be stuck with it for at least 2 years.. so.. that's $360. 

#8 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:36

Yea, reason I want to rent is I want the shiny $200 router. and in 1 year I will want the next $200 router. If I rent, maybe I can get it for <$100 per year. Sure I won't own the equipment but I get to upgrade as often as I want.

I imagine this is a horrible business case, wish someone made it work though.

Don't buy consumer trash, Spend the same money on some enterprise grade cisco gear on ebay. you'll get infinitely more bang for your buck.

#9 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:44

Lets use one of rent a centers electronics deals they have going on right now.  12.99 a week for a nintendo ds.  The ds retails for about $100.  It will take you about 10 weeks to pay for that out right, the term is probably for a year to rent it.  13*52=676.  Yep it makes a lot of sense to rent it for a year...now imagine that on a $200 product. 

#10 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:48

"Every 2 years I find myself wanting a new router.."

Why exactly? What features are you gaining in the new device that your old device does not do.. Are you talking more wireless speed, or actual networking features? etc..

If we can determine what your looking for in that shiny new $200 router vs your 2 year old what was $200 router.. Maybe we can find a cheaper way to scratch the itch as they say.

#11 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:50

Renting places include "Service charges" so that's where they make their money.

For it to be worth it to rent it, it would have to be costing you less than $7 a month for a $200 device. If you are paying $10/month then you're gonna be paying more than it's worth after some time. In 1 year, your $200 router is only worth $80-140 at most.

You don't need the newest one all the time no matter what the marketing team says, especially on routers. 802.11N came out some years ago and 802.11AC just started to get going now and will be in play for another 3-5yrs. You wont get much more "speed" by getting AC if your laptops are still G or N. So unless you plan on upgrading those every year too it wont make a single difference.

#12 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:54

I'm still using my 7 year old WRT54GL with Tomato on it. Works fine. Find a router you like, has good hardware and you are knowledgeable about, consider it an investment.

#13 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 17 December 2013 - 20:57

It's just not financially viable.

#14 Rippleman

Rippleman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2013 - 22:12

I always assumed the routers available in the rest of world where basically the same ones in Canada.  Here, you can buy a $30 router and have it last indefinitely.  Aside from rare electric problems, there is no "wear and tear" on a router. It doesn't move. There are no moving parts. How do you guys wear out your router? Aside from the usually technological updates (a to B to G to N) there really hasn't been a need to for 5 years now.  In each case i have seen with people "needing to upgrade" there was no need at all, in their mind they needed to but in actual usage, upgrading made no difference.

#15 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 December 2013 - 22:31

I think he wants to constantly play with the "high end" consumer routers all of the time which may have added features that the low end routers don't have, or have better network capabilities/throughput.  I haven't seen a $30 router support a gigabit internet/wan connection for example.