Charity raffling off $1M Picasso at just $138 per ticket

A charity will raffle off an original painting by modern artist Pablo Picasso Wednesday after putting approximately 50,000 entry tickets up for sale at under $150 apiece.

The 1914 work, ""Man in the Opera Hat," which features vivid shapes in opaque gouache paint, dates from the Spanish master's cubist period and is valued at approximately $1 million.

The tickets have been for sale online since April at a cost of 100 euros (approximately $138), but one lucky person will be chosen at random Wednesday at Sotheby's in Paris. The painting is owned by the International Association for the Safeguard of Tyre, who received it from an anonymous donor who bought it from a gallery in New York City.

more

That's a pretty good gig.  If they sell all the tickets, they've made over $7 million for a $1 million dollar painting.

It's a win for everyone. I'd take a $1 million painting for $138.

• Like 1

Pennsylvania man wins raffle for $1M Picasso

A western Pennsylvania man won an international raffle for an original Picasso painting worth $1 million Wednesday.

Jeffrey Gonano, 25, of Wexford, Pennsylvania, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he bought ticket No. 747815 approximately two months before Wednesday's drawing at Sotheby's in Paris. At about 2 p.m. Eastern time, he got a call informing him that his ticket had been randomly selected by a computer.

"They announced that I won. It was actually very noisy. It sounded like it was some sort of live event," Gonano told the paper. "I'm sort of shy. It's hard to digest something like this. I never thought I'd ever see a Picasso."

"I just saw a news article on Yahoo and bought a ticket. I don't even know why." :huh:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/5280548-74/art-picasso-gonano#axzz2ntT7AYeU

^ Those 49,999 probably have more money than brains, anyway.

If you knew how much a Picasso's value increase per year and had an opportunity to get one, albeit small, and know how to move such work then $138 is nothing. Getting a ticket for such price is actually a smart investment, specially if you're involved in the art market. You have to pay MORE just to access some catalogs.

Love how people judge the art world without having any idea how it works.

If you knew how much a Picasso's value increase per year and had an opportunity to get one, albeit small, and know how to move such work then $138 is nothing. Getting a ticket for such price is actually a smart investment, specially if you're involved in the art market. You have to pay MORE just to access some catalogs.

Love how people judge the art world without having any idea how it works.

once your famous you can draw anything and people will love it. Im sure if picasso put paint on his arse and farted on a sheet of paper, then people will be amazed at his new art style.

once your famous you can draw anything and people will love it. Im sure if picasso put paint on his arse and farted on a sheet of paper, then people will be amazed at his new art style.

Something similar happened. It was called 'Jackson Pollock'... and action painting... etc etc etc

It's not that people 'love' it. It's either what Walter Benjamin called the 'aura' or just a monetary investment.

BTW, there are no art styles anymore...