Florida rejects group's bid to install Satanic display

TALLAHASSEE, FL ?  A Satanic group's bid to put up a display at the Florida Capitol is being rejected by state authorities.

During this year's holiday season several groups have allowed to put up displays in the rotunda because the area is considered a "public forum."

A Nativity scene has been installed as well as a six-foot Festivus pole with beer cans around it. State officials this week also approved a display from a group called the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But a request from a group calling itself The Satanic Temple has been denied.

In an email to the group Wednesday, the Department of Management Services called the proposal "grossly offensive." The proposed display features an angel falling from heaven into an open fire. :huh:

source

Pretty sure denying their display is completely illegal, as per the American constitution. If you allow one religion to display, you must allow all, as long as they are compliant with obscenity laws.

The correct decision would have been to allow NONE.

• Claim America is a christian nation and lobby to get christian monument on government owned land
  • When the rest of the religions walk in through the hole you made throw a tantrum
  • When they take it to court and the judge correctly rules all or none throw another tantrum and yell "activist judge" "judicial tyranny"
  • Go back to step 1 somewhere else learning absolutely nothing from the experience
lol @ Festivus pole that is too funny

Isn't it allowed to be banned due to a large possibility of offense to the public at large?

I would find the Christian display far more offensive than the satanic one, personally.

The point is, The US constitution forbids the government from favouring one religion over another, period. That's exactly what just happened in this case.

Oops.

Anyone noticing a trend lately?

Let's see how many times someone can squash any 1st amendment rights, or some other amendment, in a week, or something!

Just read 2 articles in a row here along those lines and also that Duck Dynasty fiasco.

Is this the latest and greatest fad here in the USA? Sheesh!!

I would find the Christian display far more offensive than the satanic one, personally.

The point is, The US constitution forbids the government from favouring one religion over another, period. That's exactly what just happened in this case.

Oops.

If it is not a legally recognized religion, they are not favoring one over the other.  The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster got their display.

We shall see what ultimately happens with this.

If it is not a legally recognized religion, they are not favoring one over the other.  The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster got their display.

We shall see what ultimately happens with this.

Is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster a recognized religion? It's the Festivus one a recognized religion? Somehow I doubt it very much.

They're clearly just singling out the Satanists because of what movies have made people believe it's all about.

Is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster a recognized religion? It's the Festivus one a recognized religion? Somehow I doubt it very much.

They're clearly just singling out the Satanists because of what movies have made people believe it's all about.

At least in New Jersey it is.  A member of the Church was allowed to wear the Spaghetti colander on his head as a religious exemption.

While I do not think Festivus is a "Religion", it is a Holiday Season celebration without the religious overtones. 

I'm gonna just post there here

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

what are any religious displays doing on public land anyway?

what are any religious displays doing on public land anyway?

The desperate desire of desperate people to elevate christians and christianity above the rest of society.

If they want to play it this way fine, Enjoy the wiccan display next

Anyone noticing a trend lately?

Let's see how many times someone can squash any 1st amendment rights, or some other amendment, in a week, or something!

Just read 2 articles in a row here along those lines and also that Duck Dynasty fiasco.

Is this the latest and greatest fad here in the USA? Sheesh!!

1st ammendment rights does not mean you don't get fired for saying something stupid.

• Like 2

Personally I don't believe outright freedom of speech is the way to go either, it allows out right racists & bigots to have something to hide behind.  As for this it's blown outta proportion ....

This was what I was really gonna say first...

Who

Gives

###### (flip)

oh I'm agnostic btw ( all religions are equally stupid in my opinion ha :p)

I believe once a group acquires a certain number of followers it ceases to be a cult and gains religion status.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster meets those requirements. I myself was ordained as a Pastafarian Minister a few months ago.

:D

The desperate desire of desperate people to elevate christians and christianity above the rest of society.

If they want to play it this way fine, Enjoy the wiccan display next

Ummm there is a Festivus Pole there and a display from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I think Wiccan is ok. :)

I believe once a group acquires a certain number of followers it ceases to be a cult and gains religion status.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster meets those requirements. I myself was ordained as a Pastafarian Minister a few months ago.

:D

Oh? Everyone to McKay's for meatballs and pasta!