NYC Nanny State Extends Cigarette Ban to E-Cigs

New York's City Council has approved extending the city's strict smoking ban to include electronic cigarettes, which emit a vapor.

The measure was pushed by outgoing Mayor Michael Bloomberg and backed by public health advocates in the city. It comes just weeks after New York became the first major city to raise the age for buying tobacco to 21.

Earlier this month, New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Farley said that "more research is needed on electronic cigarettes," but that "waiting to act could jeopardize the progress we have made over the last few years."

Reuters describes e-cigarettes as "slim, reusable metal tubes that contain nicotine-laced liquid in a variety of exotic flavors such as bubble gum and bacon."

Since 2002, New York has had a ban in place on smoking in bars, restaurants, parks, beaches and plazas.

Personally I try to use the same etiquette with my e-cigs as I used to do with regular cigs, namely keep it to myself because some people don't like it, plus never around my kid.  Probably see similar bans show up sooner or later elsewhere.  That said, it's very unlikely you'd get caught anyway if you hit one in the bathroom or whatever.  No odor and no smoke.

And holy crap there's bacon flavor now? Guaranteed to never kick this addiction.

Personally I try to use the same etiquette with my e-cigs as I used to do with regular cigs, namely keep it to myself because some people don't like it, plus never around my kid.  Probably see similar bans show up sooner or later elsewhere.  That said, it's very unlikely you'd get caught anyway if you hit one in the bathroom or whatever.  No odor and no smoke.

And holy crap there's bacon flavor now? Guaranteed to never kick this addiction.

I just don't understand how the NYC legislators are getting away with micro-managing every aspect of life.  I had a friend come over with his e-cig once and smoked it in the house, never bothered me a bit; no odor or excessive smoke or anything.  They're interesting little contraptions that's for sure.

Reuters describes e-cigarettes as "slim, reusable metal tubes that contain nicotine-laced liquid in a variety of exotic flavors such as bubble gum and bacon."

People are ######in' gross.

I just don't understand how the NYC legislators are getting away with micro-managing every aspect of life.  I had a friend come over with his e-cig once and smoked it in the house, never bothered me a bit; no odor or excessive smoke or anything.  They're interesting little contraptions that's for sure.

Well I can somewhat understand their reasoning, I'm guessing the second-hand factor.. yea the carcinogens aren't there but it's still an addictive substance you're releasing into the air.  Indoors I'm fine with, I wouldn't expect to be able to use an e-cig in a restaurant or theater or whatever.. outdoors though they can kiss my butt, I'll stop smoking outdoors when the city deals with their buses that near choke me to death with their exhaust, never mind all the trucks and cars.. wayyyyy worse than an e-cig.  They want to make the air better, start with yourself bud.   Quid pro quo.

Yeah, I don't either..