Photo
ireland allergic reaction peanuts satay sauce childrens minister pharmaceutical society

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,731 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:50

I don't think chemists/pharmacys should be in the business of dishing out adrenaline to any person that demands it.

It's a tragic loss, but it does raise the question as to why the mother didn't ring 999 as her first reaction. Instead she ran off to find a chemist on the hope they'd just give out controlled drugs to random strangers?

#62 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,472 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 19:16

I don't think chemists/pharmacys should be in the business of dishing out adrenaline to any person that demands it.

It's a tragic loss, but it does raise the question as to why the mother didn't ring 999 as her first reaction. Instead she ran off to find a chemist on the hope they'd just give out controlled drugs to random strangers?

And/or the father.

#63 Houtei

Houtei

Neowinian

• 568 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:16

This story is sad.   First off its hard to blame anyone.   Under The Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland rules it is alright to give out drugs in an emergency so he was allowed but then we dont even know if the girl was in front of him or outside.  If she was in front of him then I might put some blame on him because he should be able to tell what it looked like.    Also it was a bad move to forget your medicine but ###### happens and its real easy to start throwing blame and calling people idiots when your sitting in a computer chair no where near what happened.   I dont think anyone can honestly say there wasnt a time when they ran off without something very important or did something out of the ordinary in a no time to think situation.   Everyone does stupid crap then AFTER the fact when you actually have time to think about it wonder why you didnt do this or do that.   I mean im not under the stress of my daughter dieing and i have thought about it and i always have a cell phone so i would of been calling the ambulance and telling them im running to the pharmacy

Also just throwing this out there but apparently the Chinese restaurant did not have signs up stating peanuts were used but she said they didnt want to blame them.  I am suprised dealing with this for 14 years they didnt know curry had peanuts but ###### happens i guess.

#64 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,472 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 20:49

Also just throwing this out there but apparently the Chinese restaurant did not have signs up stating peanuts were used but she said they didnt want to blame them.  I am suprised dealing with this for 14 years they didnt know curry had peanuts but **** happens i guess.

It was satay sauce.

#65 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:30

Well I live in London which is also a high traffic area and the few times that I've called an ambulance it's arrived within 10 minutes. I'd expect a properly stocked ambulance would be able to deal with a case like this on site without having to wait to get to the hospital to deal with the emergency.

Well the article doesn't say that an ambulance was called so it seems safer to assume that one wasn't. You may be right but we don't know.

By the way, I'm not trying to apportion blame. I just think it's common sense to call an ambulance in an emergency like this (especially in a large city) rather than hope for the best with a chemist.

The article says an ambulance staff tried to resuscitate her but that it was too late. Ambulances don't just show up for no reason so clearly someone notified emergency services otherwise there wouldn't have been an ambulance staff trying to save her... 

Saying ABC should have done XYZ is the very definition of apportioning blame and that's what the majority of posts in this thread have been doing without knowing the details and at the same time just assuming that emergency services weren't called. People tend to want to instinctively blame the victim without the facts when things go wrong. It's not exactly a new phenomenon... 

#66 TMYW

TMYW

Neowinian

• 209 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:42

This tragedy could have been avoided so easily. How was this girl in reach of the satay sauce in the first place? If the dish had been brought mistakenly, it should have been sent back immediately.

Some restaurants should consider having some EpiPens on-hand for their own sake, if they serve any dishes with peanuts. Although the restaurant wasn't at fault in this case, anybody in the kitchen could have made just as tragic a mistake. That's why you keep fire extinguishers around too. Having that safety net would be something customers would appreciate if they are the ones to make the mistake.