Nokia is launching an Android phone on MWC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Yogurth

Yogurth

Neowinian

• 545 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:11

"Nokia’s much talked about Normandy headset with Android OS made a (sort of) live appearance. A photo of an engineering prototype of the device showed up on Twitter.

Nokia Normandy engineering prototype (click to enlarge)

The image shows the yet to be announced handset boot up in a casing which conceals its looks. However, the button below its LCD display falls right in line with the press images we’ve seen..."

http://www.gsmarena...._-news-7542.php

What significance will this have on their Windows Phone "Lumia" line?

#2 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:22

Um where are you making the jump from having an image leak of a prototype to this thing launching at MWC?

#3 OP Yogurth

Yogurth

Neowinian

• 545 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:53

It is not me making a jump to a conclusion, but GSM Arena probably has some good info since they brought the news.

#4 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,503 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:54

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the phone has been known for a while. It was an internal prototype developed before MSFT bought them.

#5 ObiWanToby

ObiWanToby

Neowinian Senior

• 3,786 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:06

I am not sure how likely this is if Nokia's device division was bought by Microsoft.

Perhaps a customized version of Android with tightly integrated Microsoft services would be an alternative? SkyDrive, Office, Bing Maps (Here is basically Bing maps, but not really).

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,503 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:11

Perhaps a customized version of Android with tightly integrated Microsoft services would be an alternative? SkyDrive, Office, Bing Maps (Here is basically Bing maps, but not really).

I want you to go back and read this out loud to yourself.

In what universe would MSFT allow that to happen, while trying to push Windows Phone to more market share?

#7 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,060 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:08

In what universe would MSFT allow that to happen, while trying to push Windows Phone to more market share?

About as likely as seeing Microsoft Xenix making a comeback.

#8 OP Yogurth

Yogurth

Neowinian

• 545 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:03

About as likely as seeing Microsoft Xenix making a comeback.

http://news.softpedi...UI-418460.shtml

#9 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,289 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:36

I guess the question is if MSFT is going to keep making Asha phones. If they are, then this phone actually makes sense.  It's not a Google android phone (no Play apps, none of the google stuff), but a Microsoft Android phone (with Xbox music, Skype, stuff like that, no app store).  In every sense, a dumb smartphone. 

#10 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,653 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:39

I guess the question is if MSFT is going to keep making Asha phones. If they are, then this phone actually makes sense.  It's not a Google android phone (no Play apps, none of the google stuff), but a Microsoft Android phone (with Xbox music, Skype, stuff like that, no app store).  In every sense, a dumb smartphone.

It doesn't really make that much sense. If they were going to do something like that they'd be better off using a stripped down version of Windows Phone. They'd at least know that it would perform well on low-end hardware.

#11 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,430 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:40

Funny.  Even funnier if it happens.

#12 +Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:47

High-end quality Android with TIFKAM customization would really bring some much-needed fresh air in otherwise by now sickeningly stale Android world. With my eyes closed (so it's easier to dream stupid things), I hope that it happens.