Photo

60Hz vs 120Hz, does it really matter? (Buying a new TV)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 28 January 2014 - 21:15

Actually it does mean they do. since neither is dividable with each other until you get to at least 150hz. They're electronic, they can actually support multiple native refresh rates. 

Do you have any idea who horrible TV in Europe would look if all TV's where native 60hz and the signal was 50(which it is)

No they don't. CRT TVs used to be either 50Hz or 60Hz and thus taking one from the US wouldn't work in europe, and vice versa.

LCD on the other hand doesn't work by firing electrons, if the screen updates once, then just pauses for 10 seconds, for those 10 seconds the image will still be there whilst on a CRT, nothing would be displayed.

If you really want to know, open up your TV, take the front plastic off and get the make and model of the LCD panel itself (NOT the PCBs etc.) and look for a datasheet, you'll find it's probably a 60Hz refresh rate because it'd be much more costly, stupid and really incompatible to produce 50Hz and 60Hz LCD panels when there really isn't a need because they operate nothing like CRT screens do.

#47 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2014 - 00:58

Actually it does mean they do. since neither is dividable with each other until you get to at least 150hz. They're electronic, they can actually support multiple native refresh rates. 

Do you have any idea who horrible TV in Europe would look if all TV's where native 60hz and the signal was 50(which it is)

I didn't realize 150 was divisible by 60, thanks for pointing that out :/

The vast majority of TVs that support both 50hz and 60hz have a panel that runs at 60hz and uses 1:1:1:1:2 pulldown internally to display 50hz content. The quality is no worse than playing a game at 50fps or watching a 50fps video on a 60hz pc monitor. It's watchable but there is still judder, just like there's judder when watching movies at 60hz. There are some high-end TVs that can switch between 50hz and 60hz refresh rates electronically but to say 60hz monitors can display 24fps natively is just plain wrong.

#48 Ash

Ash

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:16

Is the hz the reason some this:

Some TVs when you watch a movie, it looks like a movie.

But on some TVs like my friends, it looks so fluid, its looks more like watching real life than a movie. For example, he showed me a bit of Lord of the Rings Fellowship, in the shire when the hobbits were having a party, it actually looked more like a bunch of people in costumes on a set than an actual movie. Same for the scene I watched in Return of the Jedi, the Mon Calamari on Akbar's ship looked more like people in costumes on a stage.

Did it look like this because of the hz?

#49 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:30

I didn't realize 150 was divisible by 60, thanks for pointing that out :/

The vast majority of TVs that support both 50hz and 60hz have a panel that runs at 60hz and uses 1:1:1:1:2 pulldown internally to display 50hz content. The quality is no worse than playing a game at 50fps or watching a 50fps video on a 60hz pc monitor. It's watchable but there is still judder, just like there's judder when watching movies at 60hz. There are some high-end TVs that can switch between 50hz and 60hz refresh rates electronically but to say 60hz monitors can display 24fps natively is just plain wrong.

I guess all TV's sold in europe are high end then. since they all are 60 minimum, and they play 50hz tv content judder free, because they switch internally to 50hz refresh rate driver. it's not a big change for a tv electronics to add a 50hz driver. 

#50 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:35

Is the hz the reason some this:

Some TVs when you watch a movie, it looks like a movie.

But on some TVs like my friends, it looks so fluid, its looks more like watching real life than a movie. For example, he showed me a bit of Lord of the Rings Fellowship, in the shire when the hobbits were having a party, it actually looked more like a bunch of people in costumes on a set than an actual movie. Same for the scene I watched in Return of the Jedi, the Mon Calamari on Akbar's ship looked more like people in costumes on a stage.

Did it look like this because of the hz?

Generally high refresh rate tv's with interpolation that makes movement smooth, also tends to make the scenes appear more artificial and CGI like. but in principle yeah. My main problem with interpolation is how it created "wakes" around anything that moves. Happens on everything that moves from characters on a still set to spaceships. But it's particularly noticeable on "inside car" scenes, if you watch one of these on a TV with this effect on, you'll notice that around all the structure of the car and the character that appear in front of the moving background, there appears to big a water like forcefield. it's annoying and ugly and ruins the whole experience. So while it looks smoother I turn it off cause I can't stand the wakes/force fields. . 

#51 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:34

I guess all TV's sold in europe are high end then. since they all are 60 minimum, and they play 50hz tv content judder free, because they switch internally to 50hz refresh rate driver. it's not a big change for a tv electronics to add a 50hz driver. 

Can we seriously get a ban for hawkman from this thread, every single post of his here is complete fud and serves no purpose.

#52 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:20

I'm not sure you know what fud means. feel free to ignore me though if you have a problem. 

#53 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:31

Here in Australia, I believe 100Hz TVs are a gimmick. I have a 50Hz LCD TV, and all motion (including from sport) seems very smooth. Surprisingly, 100Hz TVs in the store seem smoother than 50Hz TVs, however I wouldn't be surprised if it's been setup this way on purpose to make people purchase the more expensive models. I don't think humans can notice a difference above 50Hz/50 FPS.

Tests have shown the human eye can distinguish over 300.

Too bad most of our sources are far lower than that, but whatever works.  The tech will get there in some decade I'm sure.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!