Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise

I doubt Black Tusk is only going to work on Gears, like Phil said, they've got a number of ideas and thinks they're looking at. Besides, if they have something else in the works they're not going to tell us now, specially not any new IP. They're going to hold off on those for big events like E3.

Like I said in the other topic, BTS have hinted otherwise. This isn't the first time where there has been news of them making new IP. The studio has existed for 4 years now, let's not forget that. First of all they were said to be working on something to rival Halo. Now finally the first solid project we hear they're working on is Gears :/ Clearly shutting down projects is something they've had to put up with for years. They were also the studio responsible for the fabled Kinect FPS that never was.

They're hiring for positions, hopefully for new IP somewhere, but in all liklihood it'll be GoW first.

Who says Black Tusk is only going to work on Gears from now on? Or that they don't/can't have something else to, last I read they're not some tiny group.

Phil Spencer pretty much confirmed that they are only doing Gears

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet
  • Like 2

Expanding the Gears franchise via games is going to be problematic: the main story arc has been pretty much wrapped up in GoW3.

They could do side missions or bridge the events between GoW 1 and GoW 2 or GoW 2 and GoW 3 but that would make a GoW: Judgement like and I do not think it is a good idea for MS because Judgement was badly executed. (oh the pun!)

Making a game in the time of the Pendulum wars is going to be no locusts, no chainsaw and that is not Gears as CliffB explained some time ago

Which is why this news is luke warm at best. Having Rod on board is good in terms that the storyline will be consistent (his job at Epic IIRC), but it's Cliff's baby and if he has walked away from it then you know it doesn't have room to grow. It was always said to be a trilogy and it should be left as such. If anything positive has come out of today, is at least it is out of PCF's hands and they can't destroy it any more than they have.

Who says Black Tusk is only going to work on Gears from now on? Or that they don't/can't have something else to, last I read they're not some tiny group.

We're splitting convo between topics here so I'll leave you to read/continue the discussion with me there if you want.

--

As for EPIC, we already know what they're doing. Building UE4 and Fortnite. They've have nothing announced for consoles.

Black Tusk was 100% working on a brand new IP when it was first created. Phil Spencer even said as much last year. However, once Microsoft acquired the Gears IP, Black Tusk's new project was shelved in favor of the next Gears. Which is why this news is so God damn disappointing.

Not only was the Gears storyline completely wrapped up in GoW3, but the series itself has been circling the drain for a while. Judgement was proof enough of that. And now Black Tusk is mostly likely going to be turned into a Gears factory. Such wasted potential, going by the teaser from E3.

• Like 2

Phil Spencer pretty much confirmed that they are only doing Gears

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

There's a difference between "only doing Gears" and Phil saying that Gears has priority "for now". My whole point is that I haven't seen anything saying BT is ONLY going to do Gears from now on and forever.

There's a difference between "only doing Gears" and Phil saying that Gears has priority "for now". My whole point is that I haven't seen anything saying BT is ONLY going to do Gears from now on and forever.

Oh ok. I am personally disappointed that they shelved the E3 concept/demo for Gears. I would take a stealth shooter over Gears of Four any day.

Oh ok. I am personally disappointed that they shelved the E3 concept/demo for Gears. I would take a stealth shooter over Gears of Four any day.

I agree but I don't know what they plan to do with it, have to wait and see. Some big Gears MMO could be interesting for example.

Some big Gears MMO could be interesting for example.

Oh god no, I hope not. Asking a virgin studio to do that for a debut game is asking for suicide. Never mind the negative vibes surrounding the series already. Then you still have TES and Blizzard's Titan to compete with (as well as WoW/GW2).

Microsoft are obviously insistent on having factories pumping out their big names, 343 locked to Halo, T10 to Forza and now BTS for Gears. They didn't spend a huge chunk of change for the rights to make 1 new game.

Ha ha so Microsoft are already killing new ips for the same old tired gears/forza/halo/fable combo? Colour me surprised. This is the reason why I wouldn't touch the Xbox. They have driven the brand into the gutter in terms of interesting gaming for me.

Ha ha so Microsoft are already killing new ips for the same old tired gears/forza/halo/fable combo? Colour me surprised. This is the reason why I wouldn't touch the Xbox. They have driven the brand into the gutter in terms of interesting gaming for me.

Lionhead are working on something unrelated to Fable. Job adverts for the studio suggested an MMO a couple of years ago.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-21-yes-lionhead-is-working-on-something-that-isnt-fable-esque

Black Tusk was 100% working on a brand new IP when it was first created. Phil Spencer even said as much last year. However, once Microsoft acquired the Gears IP, Black Tusk's new project was shelved in favor of the next Gears. Which is why this news is so God damn disappointing.

So is it confirmed that their new IP was shelved or is that just what everyone 'in the know' is assuming? If they are big enough, they should able to continue work on the new ip and a gears title.

If that is gone, then I'm disappointed as well. Now I'm not going to go as far as say completely upset since we have no idea what the new IP would have turned out to be, but new ip is refreshing regardless.

As far as getting another Gears game, I would be fine with it if they are able to refresh the series. As others have said, 3 pretty much wrapped it up for me story wise and experience wise. If they don't do something new with the Gears universe, it could be a very stale rehash of what came before.

Where does Fable fall into all of this? Lionhead is actually working on projects outside of Fable now, so that flies in the face of your point here.

The only ip that has been 'killed' is one by BTS and even that one seems to only be delayed.

I don't know, I think its a little bit of overreaction to just disregard a platform this way, but hey, everyone has their own reasons.

Black tusk were working on something new too.

And it sounds like from the comments of Phil Spencer that its dead, just delayed. Not saying that is great news, but leaves room for the future.

Black tusk were working on something new too.

I know, I've said so in this topic and here.

I'm merely pointing out to you that Lionhead are finally working on something new.

The only ip that has been 'killed' is one by BTS and even that one seems to only be delayed.

It's at least the second IP killed. First the Kinect FPS and then the "Halo rival".

We'll disregard the E3 prototype as a 3rd seeing as Phil asked them to make it for E3.

So is it confirmed that their new IP was shelved or is that just what everyone 'in the know' is assuming? If they are big enough, they should able to continue work on the new ip and a gears title.

If that is gone, then I'm disappointed as well. Now I'm not going to go as far as say completely upset since we have no idea what the new IP would have turned out to be, but new ip is refreshing regardless.

As far as getting another Gears game, I would be fine with it if they are able to refresh the series. As others have said, 3 pretty much wrapped it up for me story wise and experience wise. If they don't do something new with the Gears universe, it could be a very stale rehash of what came before.

On Twitter Phil said, "they need to focus on Gears for now" which to me means it will most likely never see the light of day again.

This is a classic example of we live in a time where just to much information is out there, and people need to hype ###### up that otherwise would just be a given.
And this is not just a knock against MS, it is every single damn company that has to market themselves on a daily basis.

As to the actual news itself, I loved Gears 1 & 2. Absolutely loved them. Cannot say the same for anything after that. I personally felt like the game had possibly run its course, but hey, we also live in the day and age of what is known is what is sold, the entertainment industry on a whole really loves to take the safe, proven route, so I guess they can squeeze some more games out of this franchise, and they might even be good, but I would personally love to see something new.

I actually thought Cliffy B put it best on his blog in regards to this news...

To those of you who love Gears, I love you as well, and I appreciate your support through the years. The fandom, the cosplay, the tattoos, it all means more than any amount of money could ever mean.

These recent events have steeled my resolve to make something entirely new.

Time for new cosplay, new tattoos, new fandom.

• Like 1

I'm merely pointing out to you that Lionhead are finally working on something new.

It's at least the second IP killed. First the Kinect FPS and then the "Halo rival".

We'll disregard the E3 prototype as a 3rd seeing as Phil asked them to make it for E3.

They killed a Kinect FPS title. Alright, how many people here actually are glad to see that?

As far as the Halo rival title, I remember hearing about that. I guess now Gears is their Halo rival.

My point was talking about multiple dev teams getting new ip killed in favor of an existing one. BTS is the only one I have seen mentioned in that regard.

So as far as BTS goes, does anyone know if they are big enough to actually work on a Gears title and have a side project? I mean Lionhead is doing that, but I don't know how the team sizes stack up.

Yep and my point was I'll believe it when I see it. Oh and I wouldn't believe a word from Phil says about the stealth game only being a concept.

They killed a Kinect FPS title. Alright, how many people here actually are glad to see that?

As far as the Halo rival title, I remember hearing about that. I guess now Gears is their Halo rival.

My point was talking about multiple dev teams getting new ip killed in favor of an existing one. BTS is the only one I have seen mentioned in that regard.

So as far as BTS goes, does anyone know if they are big enough to actually work on a Gears title and have a side project? I mean Lionhead is doing that, but I don't know how the team sizes stack up.

Who knows, there are lots of Kinect fans around here IMO :p

And blasphemy, Gears will never be a Halo rival :laugh: They aren't even the same genre so it's not worth getting into :p

Last figure I heard was 100+, but that was around the end of 2012 with the "Halo rival" news.

This is a classic example of we live in a time where just to much information is out there, and people need to hype **** up that otherwise would just be a given.

And this is not just a knock against MS, it is every single damn company that has to market themselves on a daily basis.

As to the actual news itself, I loved Gears 1 & 2. Absolutely loved them. Cannot say the same for anything after that. I personally felt like the game had possibly run its course, but hey, we also live in the day and age of what is known is what is sold, the entertainment industry on a whole really loves to take the safe, proven route, so I guess they can squeeze some more games out of this franchise, and they might even be good, but I would personally love to see something new.

I actually thought Cliffy B put it best on his blog in regards to this news...

As much as I hate how egotistical he is and the **** he spouts now and then, he's spot on with that blog.

Who knows, there are lots of Kinect fans around here IMO :p

And blasphemy, Gears will never be a Halo rival :laugh: They aren't even the same genre so it's not worth getting into :p

Last figure I heard was 100+, but that was around the end of 2012 with the "Halo rival" news.

1. Kinect fans =! loving every Kinect project (not a good idea to lump everyone into that mold :laugh:)

2. I'll go out on a limb and say the same people that are disappointed now in losing a new IP are also people that have zero interest in a Kinect game, much less an fps title.

As far as Gears rivaling Halo, well I'm no fanboy for either franchise, but I think Gears can rival Halo sales wise.

If they have a team of over 100 people, then they might not all have to work on a Gears game. How many people make up Lionhead?

1. Kinect fans =! loving every Kinect project (not a good idea to lump everyone into that mold :laugh:)

2. I'll go out on a limb and say the same people that are disappointed now in losing a new IP are also people that have zero interest in a Kinect game, much less an fps title.

As far as Gears rivaling Halo, well I'm no fanboy for either franchise, but I think Gears can rival Halo sales wise.

If they have a team of over 100 people, then they might not all have to work on a Gears game. How many people make up Lionhead?

I tried looking up a Lionhead employee count but they've never disclosed it. They laid off 10% of their employees back in 2012 but MGS planned to hire 100 new people across all their studios.

Wikipedia says ~100.

Ex-staffer's Linkedin says:

Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry

November 2012 ? January 2013 (3 months)

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/stuwhyte

Topics merged / title changed

----

Pachter: Microsoft Paid ?$100M Or Less? For Gears Of War, Probably Xbox One Exclusive

This morning Microsoft secured the rights to the Gears of War IP. A move that caught many off guard. Most folks are cautiously, or even openly, optimistic about the IP moving forward in the hands of Black Tusk Studios. Immediately after seeing the news about Microsoft?s purchase, I reached out to Michael Pachter for his estimate of what MS ultimately paid Epic Games to fork over the IP. His response,

Probably $100 million or less, certainly no more than that.  They clearly think they will get a return, or they wouldn?t have done it.

Part of this mornings announcement gave us a pretty impressive figure; Gears of War has grossed over $1B over its life span. That makes Pachter?s estimated $100M purchase look all the more attractive. With a group of veteran developers at Black Tusk and Rod Fergusson at the helm, it?s likely that Microsoft will see a decent return on investment after the first Black Tusk developed installment hits shelves.

Another bit that we discussed was what platform the game would ultimately target. Given that Black Tusk is newly formed, and the E3 footage shown last year was basically a tech demo, it?s almost assured that Black Tusk?s Gears of War will be Xbox One exclusive,

The studio was just formed, so they won?t have a game for three years.  Probably Xbox One exclusive

Greatness takes time, and I?m more than willing to give Fergusson and company all the time in the world to achieve what the original Gears of War did for the genre.

http://www.igameresponsibly.com/2014/01/27/pachter-microsoft-paid-100m-or-less-for-gears-of-war-probably-xbox-one-exclusive/