PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

DF put Strider under the microscope

When it comes to selecting which version of Strider to play, we have to recommend sticking to the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, or PC versions of the game. While the game was competently ported to Xbox 360 and PS3, the lower frame-rate does hurt playability somewhat. Between the other three platforms it's safe to say that all three are excellent performers that never drop a frame during gameplay. For owners of all three platforms it's worth keeping in mind the strange texture filtering issue on PS4, which does reduce image quality just a touch from the XO and PC versions of the game. In the end, though, any of these three versions of the game provides a polished, highly enjoyable experience.

At least some devs are putting the effort in (Y)

IGN on the other hand :laugh: ...

The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 720 and 1080 before 50"

Strider is not really a game to show off what hardware can do though. Still, its interesting to see different results from different developers.

Strider was done by Double Helix after all, so I guess its not shocking considering their experience.

As for IGN, well that goes to show people have drastically different levels of perception. Two people can look at the same image and see different things.

Strider is not really a game to show off what hardware can do though. Still, its interesting to see different results from different developers.

Strider was done by Double Helix after all, so I guess its not shocking considering their experience.

As for IGN, well that goes to show people have drastically different levels of perception. Two people can look at the same image and see different things.

I think it shows that Dev. with proper hardware experience can get enough out of the XBO hardware. Didn't double helix do KI as well?

Whenever someone says things all I can do is laugh.

why? I thought Sony and Ubi have some exclusivity contract for their games (wasn't this also the reason for the extra patch work on AC post release)?

I think it shows that Dev. with proper hardware experience can get enough out of the XBO hardware. Didn't double helix do KI as well?

why? I thought Sony and Ubi have some exclusivity contract for their games (wasn't this also the reason for the extra patch work on AC post release)?

You don't pay for patches to cockblock the competitors game on a technical front. That's just wishful fanboy thinking any time there is a technical difference they can't "handle". Same goes for anyone saying it seriously last generation about the 360/PS3. A dev may choose a lead platform, but that's nothing to do with money, it's to do with development ease and business.

Any exclusivity deals are to do with timed windows or DLC, not technical patches or game performance. MS have a deal with Activision for COD, does that mean the 360 version of COD running better is to do with money, or the One version... point made.

You don't pay for patches to cockblock the competitors game on a technical front. That's just wishful fanboy thinking any time there is a technical difference they can't "handle". Same goes for anyone saying it seriously last generation about the 360/PS3. A dev may choose a lead platform, but that's nothing to do with money, it's to do with development ease and business.

Any exclusivity deals are to do with timed windows or DLC, not technical patches or game performance. MS have a deal with Activision for COD, does that mean the 360 version of COD running better is to do with money, or the One version... point made.

I thought that was a valid rumor around E3 where MS was paying devs. to downgrade PS4 games? :laugh: I am pretty sure the extra dev. work on AC4 was due to Ubi-Sony contract, not sure if I read it on GAF.

I thought that was a valid rumor around E3 where MS was paying devs. to downgrade PS4 games? :laugh: I am pretty sure the extra dev. work on AC4 was due to Ubi-Sony contract, not sure if I read it on GAF.

Maybe if you read posts by silly people. Sure there was completely unvalidated worrying that due to the One not being as powerful as the PS4 devs wouldn't want to "hurt" relations with MS by creating games with large differences. However that's proven untrue already, just look at this topic, MGS GZ specifically (think it has the largest resolution jump).

You'll need to dig up that post/contract, sure I've read people claiming it just like you are above, but with no evidence, so it's just filed along with the people saying devs will gimp PS4 copies "on purpose" as silly chat.

looks good, will be getting this on X1, for SPITE heh heh. Yes, I do have both but I think the ole X1 needs some loving and it just feels right ^^

I did see that Thief 4 will have higher resolution on the PS4. http://gamerant.com/thief-next-gen-resolutions-launch-trailer/

It mentions that " Equivalent PS4 titles output at the full 1080p." But I have been reading that in reality no one can tell the difference between 900p and 1080p.

This quote tells me it's just an issue of time the developer has. " Ghosts developers even said that due to the different ways the two systems allocate system resources, they just couldn't get their game running smoothly in 1080p on Xbox in time for launch"

The way they allocate system resources sounds like more of an issue than the actual hardware and coming from a developers mouth, I'll go with that as the reason.

So perhaps it's possible on Xbox with a little more time. I'm certain in the next couple of years as the new game engines being developed for the new consoles will push a lot more than what we're seeing now and probably be identical in every way.

Yep, they built KI as well, so they may have the most X1 experience out of the third party developers so far.

I wouldn't say they have the most experience, EA has released 6 games so far with another 2 coming in the next few weeks. When it comes to using Frostbite 3 they'll share data among their developers to get the most from it too, or at least it will become apparant as it matures. I think DH just put the effort in and their project is obviously smaller than AAA releases allowing them to optimize/keep a similar experience on all 3.

But KI is just a fighting game, there isn't a lot going on like there is FPS and 3rd person games.

Yep, I never claimed that they made a high demand game over all, just that they had more experience working with the hardware then most developers.

I did see that Thief 4 will have higher resolution on the PS4. http://gamerant.com/thief-next-gen-resolutions-launch-trailer/

It mentions that " Equivalent PS4 titles output at the full 1080p." But I have been reading that in reality no one can tell the difference between 900p and 1080p.

This quote tells me it's just an issue of time the developer has. " Ghosts developers even said that due to the different ways the two systems allocate system resources, they just couldn't get their game running smoothly in 1080p on Xbox in time for launch"

The way they allocate system resources sounds like more of an issue than the actual hardware and coming from a developers mouth, I'll go with that as the reason.

So perhaps it's possible on Xbox with a little more time. I'm certain in the next couple of years as the new game engines being developed for the new consoles will push a lot more than what we're seeing now and probably be identical in every way.

It is just time. The PS4 struggles with 1080p and 30fps with games as well, and Xbox One is seeing the advantage with Thief:

The PS4 version struggles needlessly to try to maintain a 30 frames per second presentation, regularly dipping into the 15-20 range during gameplay. At several points in the journey, it even edges toward the single digits. That isn't even something I remember dealing with on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

What makes this particularly controversial is the Xbox One version does a much better job of maintaining a steady framerate. I'd go as far as to say because of this, the Xbox One version is a lot better.

So how is it that Thief on Xbox One is able to do this? Well, the short answer is 900p.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/650465-thief-ps4s-low-framerate-is-proof-that-1080p-isnt-always-the-answer

I would wait for Digital Foundry as reviews aren't exactly praising the XB1 version either, sounds like the game is just a mess.

It certainly doesn?t help that, from a technical standpoint, the game runs about as well as a drunken toddler. I can?t decide whether the developer?s recent promise of ?30 frames per second? was hopeless optimism or a bald-faced lie, but it?s certainly quite far from the truth. Perhaps they expected no one to notice or care that the game chugs to around half that, if not lower. And, more embarrassing still, the pre-rendered cutscenes manage to be even choppier than the gameplay. How is that even possible?

Thief is available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Primary version reviewed was for Xbox One.

3.5/10 - http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-thief/

Everyone's favourite buttocks has come out of hiding for Titanfall

720 as wel , 792? no.

stick in toMy gun s on alpha texture POSTi mad be4, btway
s

Final game is 720p, not 792 like the beta. Sticking to my guns on the texture resolution too.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102134903&postcount=702

chck pls mmh mm

I heop the ptry chat is fixd BY thn. 
awhat would you say if titynfal had its own sepreat e partychat.?
tha d wasa iNN hthe TF sotware and dint utzlie LIve at al?
that ws a hug vilation of xer guindelines? but MS grantd e waver czu so mch is riding o tf and propser SDKs wernt ready (n stil aren't)?
so if you er in a xblieve party of 4 and go to plays tiatnfal s a party.....lcuanch th game, tnetnter proviate lobby and yoru live party disapers?
Game putz you in searpate party bysystem instead?

I hope the party chat is fixed by then.
What would you say if Titanfall had it's own separate party chat? 
That was in the TF software and didn't utilize the Xbox Live chat at all?
That was a huge violation of Xbox guidelines, but MS granted a waiver because so much is riding on Titanfall and proper SDKs aren't ready, and still aren't?
So if you're in a Xbox party of four and go to play Titanfall as a party, you launch the game, enter private lobby and...your party disappears.
The game puts you in a separate party system instead.

In this topic Respawn denied it, so cboats rep on the line (at least for textures, no 720p denial) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760088

pqx19Mh.png

I have to wonder why MS are on a massive man hunt for ntkrnl taking down everything he leaked, but CBOAT is getting away with it.

A lot of people won't be happy at the res downgrade, they were already commenting it looked like a 360 game before :/ What did CBOAT leak about textures previously? IIRC the alpha was 25% to reduce the download size. So what's his prediction for final game?

I would wait for Digital Foundry as reviews aren't exactly praising the XB1 version either, sounds like the game is just a mess.

Yeah, we wouldnt want anyone to get the wrong idea.

Everyone's favourite buttocks has come out of hiding for Titanfall

In this topic Respawn denied it, so cboats rep on the line (at least for textures, no 720p denial) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760088

pqx19Mh.png

Well, he has a great track record right?

If so, I would say both points will turn out to be true.

I have to wonder why MS are on a massive man hunt for ntkrnl taking down everything he leaked, but CBOAT is getting away with it.

A lot of people won't be happy at the res downgrade, they were already commenting it looked like a 360 game before :/ What did CBOAT leak about textures previously? IIRC the alpha was 25% to reduce the download size. So what's his prediction for final game?

Whatever his prediction is, I dont think it was positive :laugh:

Whatever his prediction is, I dont think it was positive :laugh:

From a quick glance at Gaf it appears the Alpha textures will be final, is that right AB?

Don't visit enough so I'm behind on the current rumours.

Pretty much that the reduced textures are what the final ones will be, there is to be no upgrade for release.

Someone on GAF posted this, good popcorn thoughts for the leakwars

Here's what I like to believe:

cboat was fed false information to get him out, probably MS told their guys different number of maps to get the the leaker. cboat needed time to verify this ######. ntkrnl leaks ###### on purpose, cboat feels jelly, so he post without verifying. And boom, MS knows who's cboat because they give the number 16 to only one guy.

Yeah, we wouldnt want anyone to get the wrong idea. 

The game clearly runs like crap on everything, it's just a claim of single digits is coming from that article so DF will clear that up. For what it's worth GAF dug up a bit about the (now banned) article writer on Crave - http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102139673&postcount=69

If he wants the website to be viewed respectfully he better hope what he claims in an article isn't fueled by passion, but by facts. And referring to his article as a megaton?  :rofl:

Jonathan Leack ?@jleack Feb 22
Something about Thief is going to blow up the console war once embargo is lifted.

Jonathan Leack ?@jleack 8h
Here's the megaton I was talking about: http://www.craveonline.com/?p=650465 
#thief #ps4 #xboxone

Anyway, DF will do the business soon I guess.

The game clearly runs like crap on everything, it's just a claim of single digits is coming from that article so DF will clear that up. For what it's worth GAF dug up a bit about the (now banned) article writer on Crave - http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102139673&postcount=69

If he wants the website to be viewed respectfully he better hope what he claims in an article isn't fueled by passion, but by facts.

Did I say you were incorrect?

I really do think people should not be quick to assume something is correct becuase of a single rumor, leak, or article. 

Geez, its like you guys want to argue over this stuff.  Is there an emoticon that I should be using or something.

I really do think people should not be quick to assume something is correct becuase of a single rumor, leak, or article. 

Geez, its like you guys want to argue over this stuff.  Is there an emoticon that I should be using or something.

?

I was agreeing with you, technical comparisons are based on facts, any one single article unless it's something like DF (with videos/stats/evidence) needs backing up.

Titanfall is at the top of the list where this stuff shouldn't matter.  If you're standing around admiring the scenery you're going to get your head blown off by a mech and then chewed off by a teammate.  Nicer graphics might be nice, but once you're out of the dropship it doesn't really make a bit of difference.  I don't pay enough attention to it after the match starts, much like I don't notice Forza 5's shininess after the race starts.  Since there's no campaign, it kind of rules out any need to show off.

• Like 2

Pretty much that the reduced textures are what the final ones will be, there is to be no upgrade for release.

Someone on GAF posted this, good popcorn thoughts for the leakwars

If he wants the website to be viewed respectfully he better hope what he claims in an article isn't fueled by passion, but by facts. And referring to his article as a megaton?  :rofl:

Anyway, DF will do the business soon I guess.

I'm so lost right now :rofl: Need to visit Gaf more to stay on top of these rumours.

Surely Titanfall is gold by now and common knowledge behind the scenes what the final map count is? CBOAT has probably waited for this so he isn't singling himself out.

As for ntkrnl, I've no idea how he fits into it all. Lucky break on leak info? Has he even posted since he leaked Halo 2A etc?

And Jonathan Leack? wtf is that? Some clickbait journalist or something?

I'll just wait for the DF analysis (Y) :P

Anyway, let's not make this personal and keep it about "resolutiongate", please.