PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

Don't know about the One but the upscaler in the xbox 360 is not really better than the one in my TV. The gfx quality is about the same when outputting 360 games at 720p or 1080p.

Well we do know that the X1 upscaler is more powerful than the 360, but it has had its own issues. The ps4 scaler is talked about much less, but the little it has been mentioned was not very favorable. Luckily, Sony doesnt need a scaler for most games, so it doesnt matter right now.

Once 4k support is added, we should get a good grasp of how the scalers hold up.

Da fuq.... both consoles struggle at 1080p (albeit the X1 to a much greater extent) and people think 4k will be on the horizon on the same hardware?

I agree, that is kinda funny.

Well the party chat thing has me wondering too. AFAIK there hasn't been any mention of day 1 patches, they must be cutting it fine for timing :/ Why not just delay the game for the same week TF releases on 360?

According to Major Nelson's new video of the dashboard update, TF doesn't have it's own party chat system. CBOAT fails yet again.

According to Major Nelson's new video of the dashboard update, TF doesn't have it's own party chat system. CBOAT fails yet again.

True, but is it ready to roll out? AFAIK nobody has even received the March preview yet. If it's not on time then they very well could have a standby solution until the March update is public.

True, but is it ready to roll out? AFAIK nobody has even received the March preview yet. If it's not on time then they very well could have a standby solution until the March update is public.

I don't know if it's ready. I wasn't picked for the damn preview either.  :crazy:

Edit: According to this:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-multiplayer-update

Our March Xbox One system update will start rolling out in early March. We?re excited to get these multiplayer and party improvements out in time for the March 11 launch of ?Titanfall,? the highly anticipated team-based online multiplayer game.

It's possible, Titanfall doesn't seem very graphically demanding. It depends how much extra performance they can get from improving any OS overhead and lagging drivers.

It would have to be a pretty massive software improvement, though. The 8% GPU increase isn't nearly enough to cover a jump from 720 (or 792) to 1080p.

It's possible, Titanfall doesn't seem very graphically demanding. It depends how much extra performance they can get from improving any OS overhead and lagging drivers.

It would have to be a pretty massive software improvement, though. The 8% GPU increase isn't nearly enough to cover a jump from 720 (or 792) to 1080p.

Most likely there's a lot of debug code in the beta. It's how betas work. They aren't optimized. It's not unheard of, that the performance between beta and release skyrockets.

Judging from the texture quality they should be able to get 1080p

The Source engine is such a light engine. Hell I could max out Left 4 Dead 2 @1080 on my old laptop with an AMD 5650M. Thats an ancient mobile GPU. 

Why would you hold something back like that, we're not little children, if you were hitting 1080p you'd be releasing the PR armies right now, not simply going after CBoaT. Considering the beta ran at 792p, and there were framerate drops that are already acknowledged and said still to be there

9Ti7M8G.png

What makes anyone think the resolution is going to increase by 958464 pixels (1115136 (792p) to 2073600 (1080p)). It's not that far off double.

Running at 1080p will probably be another case of hey look the XB1 is upscaling. Bookmark this post to grill me if you want, but seriously ask yourself the questions of a 60FPS targetted FPS running at 1080p on the XB1 when the beta weeks before release was only doing 792p and the only thing said was we will try to increase for launch (not even we're aiming for 900p, let alone 1080p).

Why would you hold something back like that, we're not little children, if you were hitting 1080p you'd be releasing the PR armies right now, not simply going after CBoaT. Considering the beta ran at 792p, and there were framerate drops that are already acknowledged and said still to be there

Many games have FPS-drops. Besides, the only people who cares about 720p/900p/1080p are people on gaming-forums. And based on the posts here and many other places, it's mostly the PS4-fanboys that really care about the resolution.

The average joe who buys his console based on the games available couldn't care less. 

It goes without saying Gameplay is what trumps everything.

Currently the game I am enjoying the most and is already a GOTY contender for myself is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on the WiiU. It is native 720p. I still love the hell out of it.

So again, it goes without saying Gameplay is the most important thing when discussing games.

With that said, as consumers who spend 100's of dollars, why should we not demand that our hard earned dollars keep up with the latest and greatest that technology has to offer? That are video game consoles are capable out matching the native resolution of our big flat screen TV's that we also spent plenty of money on? What is so wrong with that?

Oh yeah, it is the fact that plenty of people claim they cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Well that sucks for them, as I no doubt can. And if I had a preference, I prefer that all of my games run at that resolution.

Add to the fact that one console seems like it is capable of this resolution most of the time and the other is not always capable of it, and of course there are exceptions for both consoles on both sides of the spectrum, well as someone who has purchased both consoles for a total of nearly $1000 of my hard earned money, I have every right to question why this is the case.

A better example would be telling people to buy the 360 version of Titanfall, or PS3/360 copies of MGS GZ instead ;) I mean if pixels don't matter why pay next-gen tax on the PS4/XB1 copy of MGS GZ? (It's just a tongue in cheek pointer, I know people will prefer controllers etc). Or even tell people to stick with the cross server capable PS3 copy of FF14, why get the PS4 version? (I know it's a free upgrade for current PS3 owners fyi). However if you don't own the PS3 copy, it's currently selling cheaper than the PS4 version.

We were playing around with smaller margins last generation, 640/680p instead of 720p. Not to mention those were the first HD consoles, the PS4/XB1 are now the next wave and people are expecting the HD TVs they bought "8 years ago" to get put to near their maximum use. 4K isn't for this generation, 1080p is.

• Like 1

Wolfenstein has been confirmed for 60FPS on all consoles

This is running at 60 frames per second?

Mmmhmm.

http://gamerhorizon.com/wolfenstein-the-new-order-interview-with-jens-matthies-creative-director-machine-games/

Only the PS4 has resolution confirmed so far

I checked with the devs ? it runs at 1080p and 60FPS on PS4. :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/24/wolfenstein-the-new-order-ps4-hands-on-old-school/comment-page-1/#comment-952220

Bit OT but here's PS4 footage

Well the fact is polygon counts  and other graphic enhancments matter far more than resolution beyond 720p.  Of course 1080p will be better but to an extent your only going to see if you stop playing and just sit there and TRY to see it.

02_crysis3.gif

What makes anyone think the resolution is going to increase by 958464 pixels (1115136 (792p) to 2073600 (1080p)). It's not that far off double.

Running at 1080p will probably be another case of hey look the XB1 is upscaling. Bookmark this post to grill me if you want, but seriously ask yourself the questions of a 60FPS targetted FPS running at 1080p on the XB1 when the beta weeks before release was only doing 792p and the only thing said was we will try to increase for launch (not even we're aiming for 900p, let alone 1080p).

The beta had nothing to do with image quality.  People made it about that, but that's not why they did it.  The entire point was to test Azure's scaling ability to make sure things ran smoothly at launch (e.g. no 7-hour downtimes shortly after release, like what happened in the beta).

I does seem like a stretch to say it will be 1080p, but only because they haven't said it would be by now, not because the beta was running at less.

The beta had nothing to do with image quality.  People made it about that, but that's not why they did it.  The entire point was to test Azure's scaling ability to make sure things ran smoothly at launch (e.g. no 7-hour downtimes shortly after release, like what happened in the beta).

I does seem like a stretch to say it will be 1080p, but only because they haven't said it would be by now, not because the beta was running at less.

At the end of the day the only reason it wouldn't be 1080p would be technical reasons, not because they have or haven't said anything. As I pointed out and you do see to somewhat agree if they had hit 1080p they'd most likely be singing about it on social media (publicly). There's been an alpha at 720p and a beta at 792p, both of these are taken from snapshots of the code, so they are relevant in gaging what the game can do technically, and because the beta was so recent, aid in projecting the final builds resolution. Besides apparently compressed assets to lower the download size for the beta, there won't exist another separate code base of the game with different technical on-goings. If it's going above 792p for release it's because they've done something with the same code everyone ran at beta, completely possible, but any level headed person would guess 900p, not 1080p due to a plethora of annecdotal evidence stacking against such a leap.

Add to the fact that one console seems like it is capable of this resolution most of the time and the other is not always capable of it, and of course there are exceptions for both consoles on both sides of the spectrum, well as someone who has purchased both consoles for a total of nearly $1000 of my hard earned money, I have every right to question why this is the case.

Question why that is the case?  So you had no idea that the gpu on the ps4 was more powerful before you purchased both consoles?

Come on, your more tech savy than that.

However, everyone has the right to seek out information and be informed before they make any purchase whether that is a game console or a game.