PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

Minor difference, I doubt you'd notice unless you looked pretty hard for those missing 700 lines.   Probably ran into some frame rate stutters they don't have the time to work out and cut the res a bit, I'm for with something like 1360x1080 if you get a solid 60fps out of it.

Minor difference, I doubt you'd notice unless you looked pretty hard for those missing 700 lines.   Probably ran into some frame rate stutters they don't have the time to work out and cut the res a bit, I'm for with something like 1360x1080 if you get a solid 60fps out of it.

Both 1360x1080 and 1600x900 are about a 30% drop in resolution from native 1080p. Everybody wants a steady framerate but in the case of the XB1 that comes at the expense of visual fidelity. Whether you consider that acceptable is relative and subjective but that's what this discussion is about.

It really shouldn't be too much to ask for games to run at 1080p @ 60fps on console and the only reason that isn't the case is because of Microsoft and Sony's outdated business models.

Both 1360x1080 and 1600x900 are about a 30% drop in resolution from native 1080p. Everybody wants a steady framerate but in the case of the XB1 that comes at the expense of visual fidelity. Whether you consider that acceptable is relative and subjective but that's what this discussion is about.

It really shouldn't be too much to ask for games to run at 1080p @ 60fps on console and the only reason that isn't the case is because of Microsoft and Sony's outdated business models.

And visual fidelity and overall quality of the visuals for a game has more to do then just the res, I'm sure we've been over this a number of times to death but texture quality, post processing and so on all play into it, you can have a full 1080p res game and it can look bad if post processing is borked or the textures are overall poor quality and so on.     For all the posts tossing numbers around left and right in the end if people are hard pressed to notice 1360x1080 upscaled a bit to 1920x1080 with some good post processing and need detailed testing to find them, I'd say it's minor, even if the math shows a near 30% difference in overall pixels. 

• Like 1

And visual fidelity and overall quality of the visuals for a game has more to do then just the res, I'm sure we've been over this a number of times to death but texture quality, post processing and so on all play into it, you can have a full 1080p res game and it can look bad if post processing is borked or the textures are overall poor quality and so on.     For all the posts tossing numbers around left and right in the end if people are hard pressed to notice 1360x1080 upscaled a bit to 1920x1080 with some good post processing and need detailed testing to find them, I'd say it's minor, even if the math shows a near 30% difference in overall pixels. 

The reality is that texture quality, post-processing and the like are usually related to overall performance. Very rarely—if ever—have we seen a game on the XB1 that runs at a lower resolution but with higher visual fidelity. When a game drops the resolution by 30% it is often accompanied by other details being lowered as well, even if only marginally.

For many people visually fidelity comes behind other factors, like what console their friends own or which exclusives they have. That's absolutely fine. However, for many visual fidelity and performance are a deciding factor and the reason this topic has attracted so much attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Performance Analysis: Mad Max

In terms of multi-platform comparisons, both console versions of Mad Max operate natively at full 1080p, with the Xbox One game matching the PS4 in the resolution stakes pixel-for-pixel - a pleasant surprise considering the resolution differential in many top-tier games

So far we are looking at a match between the two consoles in pretty much every area, although in a few scenes some unexpected differences do crop up. The appearance of lower resolution normal maps on some parts of Max's character model on the PS4 is a curious anomaly, with tears in his shirt and dog tags appearing sharper on Xbox One. The lighting in the opening cut-scene scene also appears harsher and more washed out on PS4. When gameplay finally begins, the lighting model equalises, suggesting that the initial difference in the opening scene is nothing more than a small platform-specific anomaly. Likewise the normal map/texture issue on PS4 also seems like a small technical glitch, as this aspect of the game appears consistently identical everywhere else.

. Impressively, the decision to target native 1080p on Xbox One also comes without any repercussions in terms of performance. In fact, frame-rates are slightly more stable on the Microsoft platform during gameplay

Performance also holds up well when the engine is pushed. Even storming a heavily armed outpost head-on and letting all hell break loose doesn't impact performance. In this scenario, defences are triggered and Max is soon surrounded by multiple explosions and other alpha effects - and while all this chaos is going on, frame-rates hold strongly to the 30fps target. In fact, Xbox One handles this scene flawlessly without skipping a beat, while on PS4 we see some sporadic drops down to 28fps along with a handful of torn frames. The minor dip in performance results in a small degree of judder if you pay attention closely to the screen, but it's easy to miss completely and gameplay is basically unaffected.

In another scene, a massive sandstorm hits the environment while we explore a different outpost, filling the screen with particle effects and debris, but once again the engine tackles the demands placed upon it without struggling. Xbox One gets encounters a small frame-rate drop as Max is hit by some debris, while the PS4 achieves a 30fps lock for most of the scene. Towards the end we see an unusual drop down to 26fps on Sony's console causing heavy judder to appear before the game quickly resumes the normal operation at 30fps.

From what we've sampled so far, Mad Max is a solid multi-platform release across both consoles. Frame-rates appear stable under stressful conditions, while the level of graphical accomplishment appears practically identical, with the Xbox One not only achieving a native 1080p presentation but also delivering slightly better performance overall. Of course, we'll be taking a closer look at the game in our upcoming Face-Off, but for now the Xbox One game nudges slightly ahead in performance terms, though in practice there's really not much to separate the two versions at all, with both serving up an excellent experience.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-mad-max-performance-analysis

Well looks like some developers are finally getting their head around the Xbox One more and more and giving you that 1080p that people are looking for.   And a overall smooth framerate doesn't hurt either, nice job.

And it still hasn't got Windows 10 on it, so hopefully it can only improve but i don't think that will stop the usual suspects in this thread panning the Xbox!( they know who they're).

I expect the Windows 10, DX12 and new dashboard update to at the least improve overall performance when going from a game to apps and just going around the system in general.  Now that should also reduce the overhead of the dash on the system overall and might open up a bit more resources to the game, but we'll have to see if that's the case.   If the dash requires less RAM and CPU to run compared to the current one, then that's something they can give back to developers to use in their games.

And it still hasn't got Windows 10 on it, so hopefully it can only improve but i don't think that will stop the usual suspects in this thread panning the Xbox!( they know who they're).

I'm no expert, but could that not actually have almost a reset here? I would imagine there would be a degree of re-learning stuff to make better use of what's coming with Win 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Star Wars: Battlefront Runs At 900p Resolution on PS4, a Blurry 720p on Xbox One

(sorry if this is a repeat, I searched the thread for Battlefront and didn't find anything)

I played the PC version and I'm downloading the PS4 version but this looks like a PC buy for me. Good Star Wars feel and play great on my average gaming PC at 1080. I hope they will fix the blurry output and get it up to 900p for the Xbox One players.

• Like 1

Played Star Wars on both Xbox One and PS4 last night and this morning. Xbox version was not blurry at all. In fact, the two versions looked identical.

Battlefront is only 720p on the XB1? Wow, that's pretty pathetic. I game at 1600p and can easily spot games running at lower resolutions, especially 720p which is just not acceptable for modern gaming. I was gaming at a higher resolution twenty ago on my old CRT monitor. Obviously the quality of games has improved a lot in that time—that goes without saying—but it's astonishing to see consoles fail to hit 1080p @ 60fps as a minimum.

Battlefront is only 720p on the XB1? Wow, that's pretty pathetic. I game at 1600p and can easily spot games running at lower resolutions, especially 720p which is just not acceptable for modern gaming. I was gaming at a higher resolution twenty ago on my old CRT monitor. Obviously the quality of games has improved a lot in that time—that goes without saying—but it's astonishing to see consoles fail to hit 1080p @ 60fps as a minimum.

Sadly the PS4 is only a dismal 900p and X1 a dismal 720p, but this is a developer/engine issue, since consoles have been hitting 1080p with games more often than not. That said, compared to PC, this gen of consoles will never ever match PC.

• Like 1

The good news first. PS4 benefits hugely from the update, and our first stress- test in Crookback Bog shows the biggest gains in the shift to patch 1.10. This area's fog and water transparency effects push the engine hardest, and notoriously, prior versions of the game locked PS4 to the 20fps line here. But with everything updated fully, frame-rates now stick closer to the 30fps line across the entirety of our run. At points this gives The Witcher 3 a boost of 10fps overall on PS4, and it overtakes a fully-patched Xbox One version in direct comparison.

Drops are still felt, and the graph hits 28fps at points - sometimes lower. But it's fair to say it's a step forward, and a much smoother gameplay experience overall in what were previously troublespots. [...]

Either way, the PS4 version gets a step in the right direction with patch 1.10 installed - but how does Xbox One hold up by comparison? Sadly, across this analysis we get no performance boosts on Microsoft's console at all; Crookback Bog runs at more or less the same frame-rate as before, with a sustained update of around 25fps. Likewise, cut-scenes are note-for-note the same as before the patch in frame-rate levels.

The only real surprise is in how Novigrad City performs with patch 1.10 installed on Xbox One. Much like PS4, there's a downgrade as we follow the same path through the city streets - but in Xbox One's case it's a more stark difference. The drop from patch 1.08 is noticeable; going from a locked 30fps with occasional stutters to sustained performance at 24-26fps. This bears out across multiple re-trials of the same area, using the same in-game time of day and weather state. We have been downgraded - and compared to a fully patched PS4 version, the gap is as wide as 5fps as we canter down the city streets.

Overall, it's a mixed bag. Xbox One takes one step forward, and another step back - with better asset streaming in the city, but a notably worse frame-rate there as well. As for PS4, this is the first patch where the platform is so consistently ahead of Xbox One in performance terms. Previous updates had different scenes favouring one console or the other, but this patch ramps up PS4's delivery across the board; less stuttering while travelling the world, and a smoother return in matching stress-tests.

It's a lead that holds across all scenes on PS4, a version that already benefits from a 1080p resolution, compared to Xbox One's dynamic setup (resolving typically at 900p). Neither platform locks on to 30fps to a tee, but it's fair to say we're bounding ahead of The Witcher 3's shaky launch state. Patch 1.10 gives Sony's console the push in performance fans had waited for, and it's now a far more refined game. For PS4 owners resisting the jump into CD Projekt Red's epic, at least on on technical grounds, this is a moment to reconsider.

Witcher 1.10 patch analysis from DF: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-witcher-patch-110-gives-ps4-the-boost-its-been-waiting-for

Edited by Audioboxer