Photo

Xbox One - Does it matter if I connect to 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz?

Answered Go to the full post xbox one microsoft wireless networking support

22 replies to this topic

#16 OP BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 31 March 2014 - 22:40

When I connect my xbox one to 5ghz, under detailed network statistics on the xbox one, I have a latency of 60ms, and a wireless signal strength of 51%.  You think that is suitable, or should I switch to either using my Powerline or 2.4GHz network?

#17 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 01 April 2014 - 14:24

Well you could do a test of running it off the powerline connection and see what the numbers say.  In some cases, powerline connections can be much closer in performance to ethernet than wireless is.  It comes down to which version of powerline hardware you are using and the quality of your electrical wires in the house. 

#18 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 April 2014 - 14:37

If anything, 5Ghz is way less tolerable to interference than 2.4Ghz. There's tons of consumer devices on the 5Ghz range.

To summarise:
- Higher Speed

- Less Range

- Can't penetrate walls and solid objects as well

5ghz has far more channels in the band, it *is* more tolerable of wireless interference. 2.4ghz is an extremely crowded band and only has 11 channels available.

And if you add in the fact that to get higher wireless speeds with wireless N (> 144mbit), you need to use 40mhz channel width, this often does not work well with 2.4ghz because it uses almost half of the available channels.

#19 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:37

Using 2.4GHz here and can feel it...would say 5GHz is preferable. My X1 connection is good but inconsistent due to interference i'm guess. In the vicinity of the X1 got the PS4, TV, tablet, smatphone, and not too far away the PC, which is also wi-fi. Plus there's always neighbors and who knows how many other 2.4GHz radio signals floating around. So if you can, 5GHz is better. As Bane would probably say though, "...for now....". 

#20 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:13

5ghz has far more channels in the band, it *is* more tolerable of wireless interference. 2.4ghz is an extremely crowded band and only has 11 channels available.

And if you add in the fact that to get higher wireless speeds with wireless N (> 144mbit), you need to use 40mhz channel width, this often does not work well with 2.4ghz because it uses almost half of the available channels.

Being tolerable and congested are two different properties. The channel band in 5Ghz is used by less devices yes, but most of the channels in the 5Ghz aren't available to used and are frequently used in military, weather radars etc. Interference on 2.4Ghz is far exaggerated than it should be. For example a microwave would only effect a WiFi signal if your device was pretty much next to the microwave.

The good thing about 5Ghz is that it really doesn't penetrate through solid objects at all so the range is dramatically lowered through houses which means less interference between other LANs. Although if your in an old style house like mine which is an old Victorian house, having a 5Ghz router upstairs and across the house means you'd be lucky to receive a 50% STN ratio. Then your device starts using extra bits as contingency to create a suitable method to transmit data, and your speeds are halved and halved.

#21 OP BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 02 April 2014 - 13:15

Thanks. I have about 1250 square feet in my condo, and the router is in the back bedroom, where as the xbox one is in the family room.  I'll compare with the powerline.  But I'm wondering if having 50% signal reported on the xbox one with 5ghz is bad, or if that is acceptable.

#22 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 02 April 2014 - 13:34

That can actually happen? I thought it was a myth xD!

Still happens at my local pub which unfortunately is also a restaurant so the microwave gets used a lot and continuously knocks the network out.

#23 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 April 2014 - 18:52

Being tolerable and congested are two different properties. The channel band in 5Ghz is used by less devices yes, but most of the channels in the 5Ghz aren't available to used and are frequently used in military, weather radars etc. Interference on 2.4Ghz is far exaggerated than it should be. For example a microwave would only effect a WiFi signal if your device was pretty much next to the microwave.

The good thing about 5Ghz is that it really doesn't penetrate through solid objects at all so the range is dramatically lowered through houses which means less interference between other LANs. Although if your in an old style house like mine which is an old Victorian house, having a 5Ghz router upstairs and across the house means you'd be lucky to receive a 50% STN ratio. Then your device starts using extra bits as contingency to create a suitable method to transmit data, and your speeds are halved and halved.

I've got a microwave in my kitchen, and my router in a totally different room, and whenever anyone turns on the microwave anyone using the 2.4ghz band gets dropped

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!