Site (domain) outage update

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#16 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 61

Posted 02 February 2014 - 17:47

The login will work fine if you accept the certificate mismatch. If you go to the forums, then login (accepting the certificate), it will work fine. 

^

Hello,

Accepting just reloads the page but you are not signed in.

ANYWAY at the risk of asking a dumb question, aren't you already logged in?

For those that didn't read the posts on the Neowin Facebook page, you will need to login on the forums, because logging in from main doesn't work, and also accept the certificate as Dave pointed out. Or you can just wait until this is resolved.

#17 Phantom Helix

Phantom Helix

um......

Posted 02 February 2014 - 17:51

I just logged in and out several times on both the forums and the main page, I did not have any problem logging from main nor forums and i never got a certificate popup

#18 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 02 February 2014 - 18:25

Hello,

ANYWAY at the risk of asking a dumb question, aren't you already logged in?

This is on another PC.

I go to http://neow.in/forum
I click the "Login" button
I type my username and password
The page refreshes and still the login button appears...

I try browsing, making a topic, replying, but it says I am not logged in.

Tired on IE and Chrome (didnt use Firefox in case any extensions got in the way, I have none on my home PCs)

#19 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 02 February 2014 - 18:32

Hello,
This is on another PC.

I go to http://neow.in/forum
I click the "Login" button
I type my username and password
The page refreshes and still the login button appears...

I try browsing, making a topic, replying, but it says I am not logged in.

Tired on IE and Chrome (didnt use Firefox in case any extensions got in the way, I have none on my home PCs)

We know it works, as other people have managed fine. You could try the full login form, rather than the one that pops over the page? https://neow.in/foru...l&section=login

#20 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 02 February 2014 - 18:49

The login will work fine if you accept the certificate mismatch. This happens because for obvious reasons, the certificate is for neowin.net. We're not going to buy a new one just for a couple of days of downtime. If you go to the forums, then login (accepting the certificate), it will work fine. There is no need to add anything to the hosts file, and doing so is a bad idea for a number of reasons.

Can I have any of those reasons? Because it appears the most convenient way, provided that one isn't so irresponsible as to:

* not remove the entry if the address stops responding

* not remove the entry when the domain gets reinstated and re-propagated

#21 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

Posted 02 February 2014 - 18:53

The most convenient way is to use what we have setup to work during the downtime: http://neow.in.

The issues are

a) People will forget, and not remove the line once we have the issue resolved - causing problems down the line if we change IP

b) We have three servers, people have only been adding the first to their hosts files, this means that our round-robin load balancing is no longer effective, as more traffic is going to that server than would be normal, which may slow things down in busy times.

c) If we need to do maintenance on one of the servers, we would drop it from the DNS, so the requests are shared by the other two while that one is offline, then bring it back up, and move to the next one. If someone has the IP locally in their hosts file, they won't benefit from being redirected to the relevant servers which are online, and will see the site as offline while the work is carried out.

#22 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 February 2014 - 19:11

The login will work fine if you accept the certificate mismatch. This happens because for obvious reasons, the certificate is for neowin.net. We're not going to buy a new one just for a couple of days of downtime. If you go to the forums, then login (accepting the certificate), it will work fine. There is no need to add anything to the hosts file, and doing so is a bad idea for a number of reasons.

i did accept the cert and it still just looped me back like a didn't log in

#23 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 02 February 2014 - 19:16

Hello,

We know it works, as other people have managed fine. You could try the full login form, rather than the one that pops over the page? https://neow.in/foru...l&section=login

Went to that page, logged in, it too kme to the main forum page (logged in), I clicked on this thread in the minispy and again it showed the login button.

I am glad it is a problem on my side, not on Neowin's

#24 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 02 February 2014 - 19:26

I'd avoid overstating new domain being the most convenient way when people are having problems logging in and experiencing certificate errors when I haven't had none of the sort. Neow.in keeps referencing neowin.net in several places, slowing page loading down. I'm still unsure of the cause, but that's not convenient at all.

One must learn to take responsibility for one's personal convenience. If something stops working, I always see if it's not my own fault before assuming somebody else's.

Round-robin load-balancing not working anymore is a valid argument, however.

It's hard to decide if my personal convenience shall potentially result in certain inconvenience for the rest. And the other way round.

#25 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 February 2014 - 19:31

in the end it doesn't really matter. the host file method works for me & allows me full access to the site and that's what I care about atm :)

#26 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 02 February 2014 - 19:57

I just logged in and out several times on both the forums and the main page, I did not have any problem logging from main nor forums and i never got a certificate popup

That is for Neowin.net which you have no problems.

But they were having problems on neow.in (not neowin.net)  you can try and see for yourself.

#27 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

Posted 02 February 2014 - 22:03

Not sure if this is just Windows 8.1 users but I had to put www. in front of neowin.net or it doesn't work - can finally get onto the forums! (was going mad as pinging the site worked but dns didn't resolve!) .  So it's:

74.204.71.245        www.neowin.net

The solution right now is editing the hosts files by adding this line (besides flushing DNS entries on your PC):

74.204.71.245		neowin.net
I would make this frontpage as it affects us in waves (it didnt affect me yesterday but today its down for me)

Good luck to getting the site back up quickly :)

#28 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 February 2014 - 22:46

Not sure if this is just Windows 8.1 users but I had to put www. in front of neowin.net or it doesn't work - can finally get onto the forums! (was going mad as pinging the site worked but dns didn't resolve!) .  So it's:

I had to do the same on my Linux box so Google Chrome and Firefox would be able to visit Neowin.  I just edited the hosts file.

#29 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 02 February 2014 - 22:54

Hello,

Im on Windows 8.1 and without the "www." it worked for me. Should work as browsers automatically assume the "www." in front if not specified.

#30 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 02 February 2014 - 23:56

i use:
C:\>nslookup neow.in
and use the result to modify the hosts file.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!