Local DNS mac differences

Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 22:44

Why would you think hostname should resolve? That is not fully qualified. That is BAD habit to think that a host name should resolve like that.

from a cmd line using say did or nslookup do your hosts resolve? Where is extract from wireshark? I don't see anyting?

Now pfsense will answer those, if they are in your host file in pfsense, and those get added in via different ways, over ride, dhcp reservation, etc.

hostfilepfsense.png

But what I would suggest you do is just create a bookmark that is FQ to your pfsense, or any other hosts you want to resolve on your local network - and use FQDN when you want to access stuff.

shortcut.png
inbrowser.png

So validate that fqdn resolves

C:\>ping pfsense.local.lan

Pinging pfsense.local.lan [192.168.1.253] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.253: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

When you use fqdn does it resolve??

#17 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:03

Yeah, always try to use the FQDN of a device, because it stops Safari (And probably every other browser now) doing searches for them.

Safari and Firefox show the exact same behaviour now, entering a bare hostname does a Google search. If you want to connect you either need to tell it that it's a hostname (So they look it up via DNS) or use the FQDN variant.

#18 OP rancid-lemon

rancid-lemon

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:30

Why would you think hostname should resolve? That is not fully qualified. That is BAD habit to think that a host name should resolve like that.

from a cmd line using say did or nslookup do your hosts resolve? Where is extract from wireshark? I don't see anyting?

Now pfsense will answer those, if they are in your host file in pfsense, and those get added in via different ways, over ride, dhcp reservation, etc.

attachicon.gifhostfilepfsense.png

But what I would suggest you do is just create a bookmark that is FQ to your pfsense, or any other hosts you want to resolve on your local network - and use FQDN when you want to access stuff.

attachicon.gifshortcut.png
attachicon.gifinbrowser.png

So validate that fqdn resolves

C:\>ping pfsense.local.lan

Pinging pfsense.local.lan [192.168.1.253] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.253: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

When you use fqdn does it resolve??

I think that because that is how it has always worked up until recently.

Using nslookup from my mac the hostname 'pfsense' resolves. Apologies the wireshark screen grab apparently didn't work. Sending this from my mac atm so don't have it on here. Will edit the original post later when I have access to my pc again.

I do have bookmarks setup, I just tend to use keyboard and type where I want to go in the command bar. No reason for this, just the way I apparently prefer to navigate.

From my mac (and presumably everything else) both 'ping pfsense' and 'ping FQDN' work.

Yeah, always try to use the FQDN of a device, because it stops Safari (And probably every other browser now) doing searches for them.

Safari and Firefox show the exact same behaviour now, entering a bare hostname does a Google search. If you want to connect you either need to tell it that it's a hostname (So they look it up via DNS) or use the FQDN variant.

When you say 'now', has there been a change in the way the browser handles this recently? I use firefox and as I said, previously, I had always got to the server using just the hosname.

It's really not a massive issue, it's just I had gotten used to that way of working, and I thought I had messed up something in my setup to cause the change!

Cheers,

rancid

#19 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:56

I'm running a nightly build so I see the changes a few months before they hit the release build :laugh: It's coming though, should be in 34 or 35.

Firefox does auto-complete to the FQDN variant if you've visited it though, I had to manually change it back to the bare hostname to get it to do the search (And even then it asked if I meant to connect to a device by that name)

#20 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:30

Does not matter what a browser does or doesn't do for searching or autocompletion. Using just hostname to resolve is BAD habit!! Be it use to work or not, its still a bad habit - FQDN should always be used. To be honest normal dns should not resolve that since its not fully qualified. Now you would have to resolve on netbios resolution either via wins or broadcast, etc.

I would suggest you start typing out your FQDN ;)

#21 OP rancid-lemon

rancid-lemon

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2014 - 15:48

Thanks both of you. Perhaps I should use this to get out of my bad habit!

@Budman

Why do you have a subdomain for your lan? I think mine is just hotname.localdomain, you seem to be using hostname.local.lan. Just curious.

Cheers,

rancid

#22 OP rancid-lemon

rancid-lemon

Neowinian

Posted 08 November 2014 - 16:10

sorry budman, I can't seem to edit my earlier post. Here is the sireshark screen grab I tried to post last time.

rancid

Attached Images

• ws.png

#23 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 November 2014 - 13:45

so you did a query for pfsense.localdomain.  And got a response.  So did add a search suffix, is it correct is the ??

is localdomain your domain?  That is single label domain and again a bad habit..  Use something better like pfsense.local.domain or pfsense.home.localdomain or pfsense.home.lan or pfsense.rancid.lannet, when you use single label your at a tld, and can have issues just using tld.