Photo

Thoughts: Windows 8.1 Update 1 looks worse than ever before...

windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#16 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,126 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:11

Microsoft has truly lost their mojo  [...]  looks awful, and really isn't neededWhat should have been done here  [...] Windows 8.1 Update 1 is going to cause more grief than fix. C'mon MSFT unfrak yourselves. This functionality is completely unwarranted.   :angry:

Uh? Obviously you're just scared of change. So stop whining and continue using Windows 8/8.1 if you can't handle these improvements.  I'm sure Microsoft knows what it's doing better than you do.

#17 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Normal Neowinian

• 2,816 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:14

Microsoft has truly lost their mojo with this update, mashing things together that truly shouldn't be.

Yes, like a desktop OS and a mobile phone touch OS. At least they are trying to correct their mistake now; you must learn to accept change.

#18 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,126 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:22

It's a beta. Wait for the final result before you start complaining.

;)

#19 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 1,293 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 7

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:35

It does look stupid, but the solution is simple: Metro apps should not be fullscreen and should respect metrics of the taskbar. Metro apps appear to have more flexibility regarding screen size, proportions and layout than control-ridden Win32, so I assume it'd be an easy fix.

The solution's even easier than that - Don't put a desktop-style taskbar where it doesn't work and isn't needed. This just looks stupid, and if it makes it to release, this superfluous taskbar needs to be optional.

#20 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,339 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:44

It's a beta. Wait for the final result before you start complaining.

;)

Yes, you're right, but this is coming from a near final build.

http://www.theverge....ktop-ui-changes

#21 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 1,293 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 7

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:55

I'd still prefer a greater focus on the Metro side. It needs to be made more robust, not turned into the desktop. It's not the 1990s anymore.

#22 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,492 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 21:56

[Thread cleaned]

If you can't post without being snide or insulting then stay out of the thread.

#23 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,126 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:09

This is an excellent move:

we've also noticed that on desktop PCs without a touchscreen, pictures open by default in the Windows Photo Viewer, while audio files open by default in Windows Media Player. Pictures used to open in the Metro-style Photos app, and audio files used to open in the Metro-style Music app. On machines with a touchscreen, content opens in the Metro-style apps.

Yes, you're right, but this is coming from a near final build.

http://www.theverge....ktop-ui-changes

Yeah, I mean, I was just messing with you, but I don't know what to tell you.I understand your concerns, but personally I welcome a centralized way of switching between Metro and Desktop apps. 

#24 Buendia

Buendia

Neowinian

• 653 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:14

Yeah, that's definitely a great move and is the most logical choice for PC users.

#25 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,339 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:18

Yes, I agree, heck I still use Windows [Live] Photo Gallery as my default viewer. It's photo editing capabilities still do not match the Metro app.

#26 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,126 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:25

To get back to what the thread is about, the way I understand it, you're not going to see the task bar in Metro-style apps, unless you absolutely intend to. As it is described, it seems to work the same way as it does on OS X in full-screen apps, where you have to move the cursor to the screen edge on the bottom and then continue moving in that direction in order to bring up the Dock.  So you probably don't have to worry about  revealing it accidentally. 

#27 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• 9,339 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:30

To get back to what the thread is about, the way I understand it, you're not going to see the task bar in Metro-style apps, unless you absolutely intend to. As it is described, it seems to work the same way as it does on OS X in full-screen apps, where you have to move the cursor to the screen edge on the bottom and then continue moving in that direction in order to bring up the Dock.  So you probably don't have to worry about  revealing it accidentally. 

Still doesn't eliminate the possibility of overshooting, and then accidentally triggering the taskbar. Overshooting is very much an issue.

#28 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 2,844 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:33

If I listened to everyone else's opinion I wouldn't be running Windows 8/8.1.

I am going to ignore what is in a half-cooked leak and judge it for myself when I have the release version installed on my machines.

#29 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,126 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:43

Still doesn't eliminate the possibility of overshooting, and then accidentally triggering the taskbar. Overshooting is very much an issue.

We'll have to wait and see how this is actually executed by Microsoft. On OS X at least, you have to be very deliberate about this. Overshooting when it is part of a quick cursor movement does not actually activate the Dock in a full-screen app. 

The only thing that might aggravate this issue is the fact that so much of Metro's chrome is located at the bottom of the screen.

#30 sinetheo

sinetheo

Neowinian

• 289 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:57

And these screenshots say it all...

attachicon.gifwin81update1prertm3_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

attachicon.gifwin81startscreen1_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

Microsoft has truly lost their mojo with this update, mashing things together that truly shouldn't be. This honest to God, looks awful, and really isn't needed. What should have been done here is to adapt desktop apps to the task switcher at the side... Where it doesn't have the potential to interfere with app's functionality. The person at Microsoft who thought to have the taskbar appear over Metro apps was a good idea, should take a second look at this, and the issues it's going to cause.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is going to cause more grief than fix. C'mon MSFT unfrak yourselves. This functionality is completely unwarranted.  :angry:

Why so afraid of change? Gosh :-)

The market has spoken. We wont put up with a cell phone UI on our workstations. Full screen apps ruin productivity. Modern means no aero snap, aero preview, and GPU accelerated thumbnails. It means no app stacking. It means no having more than one app up at a time. It means a system where you get blind sided and forced to lose view of your open apps each time you want to search for a file or launch another app? Why?!

It makes no sense!

This means you can keep your applets and with a keyboard and mouse multitask. I am sticking with Windows 7 for this reason and wouldn't upgrade to Windows 8 even if it were free! Corporate buyers would gladly pay $1,000 to keep Windows 7 for these reasons as productivity would suffer without multitasking ability.

Sorry but a workstation is not a phone. 

Nor would I buy something like this either

http://www.theonion....-with-no,14299/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!