Photo

Do you like Windows 8 / 8.1's Modern UI?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: The Windows 8 Modern UI Poll

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you like Windows 8's Modern UI

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you use Windows 8.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,469 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 16:52

It just has to be said that Microsoft removing the F8 safemode (Shift +F8 SOMETIME works) has got to be the single STUPIDEST thing they could have done. Yes you can create a USB recovery Drive. If you read Microsoft guides about how to get into safe mode Most of them reference doing it from INSIDE WINDOWS> The whole god damn point of safe mode is because the COMPUTER WON'tT START!.

#47 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,721 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 11 February 2014 - 16:58

It just has to be said that Microsoft removing the F8 safemode (Shift +F8 SOMETIME works) has got to be the single STUPIDEST thing they could have done.

Yea never much understood that one either.  (I love Microsoft's explanation.. PC's boot too fast anyways so why have it right? Forehead, meet keyboard.)  That said, you can add safe mood to the boot menu via BCDEdit, but that's kind of silly not having the option there to begin with.. shift-F8 is a crapshoot if you get it in time.

#48 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,469 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 17:15

Yea never much understood that one either.  (I love Microsoft's explanation.. PC's boot too fast anyways so why have it right? Forehead, meet keyboard.)  That said, you can add safe mood to the boot menu via BCDEdit, but that's kind of silly not having the option there to begin with.. shift-F8 is a crapshoot if you get it in time.

Exactly, if a customer is having issues with their PC I can no longer walk them through safe mode over the phone.

Right now I have a customers PC that has 8.0 and I updated the intel drivers but when I install 8.1 on the final boot it goes black. I have 8.1 drivers that I think I can install from safe mode but I can't get there.

I tried enabling it at the command prompt but I just keep getting element not found. I made a recovery USB but it's missing the start up options.

#49 bikeman25

bikeman25

Neowinian

• 304 posts
  • Phone: Windows 8 Phone--Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 February 2014 - 17:36

I've liked the Modern ui of 8.0/8.1 since it was released on October 26th 2012--I use Modern ui daily for the email app, xbox music, xbox video to watch personal videos or such,  occasional dvd thru Media center on Desktop mode,  usually have Skype snapped or xbox music or something.    Can't wait til the 8.1 update 1 changes, and hopefully can set it back to boot to start screen on my NON touch Desktop, and enjoy the update while still enjoying my Modern Applications and Desktop Applications

Accessing Safe Mode in Windows 8.0 and 8.1

Goto Charms bar

Click on Restart, Hold down Shift key

From the Window that opens, select trouble shooting

Select Advance Options, then start up settings

select safe mode from the boot options

to restart in regular mode once done in Safe mode, just restart as normal

Edited by bikeman25, 11 February 2014 - 17:39.

#50 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• 1,796 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 17:37

To get to safe mode in Windows 8.0/8.1,  Hold down Shift and left click on restart in Power option on Modern start screen, once it restarts, click on Startup settings I believe it is, then 4 for Safe Mode is last button before it boots into Safe mode

We know how to access Safe Mode. The problem is what if we cannot reach the login screen?

#51 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 26,469 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 17:39

Accessing Safe Mode in Windows 8.0 and 8.1

Goto Charms bar

Click on Restart, Hold down Shift key

From the Window that opens, select trouble shooting

Select Advance Options, then start up settings

select safe mode from the boot options

The entire point of Safe mode is to boot the computer when it won't start normally. What good are those directions (which are the same ones Microsoft gives) if the computer won't boot.

Take right now for example .

Right now I have a customers PC that has 8.0 and I updated the intel drivers but when I install 8.1 on the final boot it goes black. I have 8.1 drivers that I think I can install from safe mode but I can't get there.

So here I have a laptop that won't boot properly because I just get a black screen, probably because of the Intel drivers, so now what?

Now i'm down right ######. On my second attempt of installing 8.1 same black screen and still can't get bring up the fracking safe mode screen. Windows 8, what a pile of ######!

#52 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,846 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 11 February 2014 - 23:40

The entire point of Safe mode is to boot the computer when it won't start normally. What good are those directions (which are the same ones Microsoft gives) if the computer won't boot.

Take right now for example .

So here I have a laptop that won't boot properly because I just get a black screen, probably because of the Intel drivers, so now what?

Now i'm down right ######. On my second attempt of installing 8.1 same black screen and still can't get bring up the fracking safe mode screen. Windows 8, what a pile of ****!

I feel your pain, but I don't think you can condemn Windows 8.1 for this unique situation. The think installs fine on millions of configurations, you've got to allow for the one in a million.

#53 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 9,720 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 February 2014 - 14:22

Sorry for the bump. It has been over a weeks since warwagon's consumer poll was posted, so here are the results:

oy0CpoU.png

Link to poll: http://polldaddy.com...7/?view=results