Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:32

If Neobond is available, I think perhaps it may be worth his while explaining how the US First amendment has bearing on Neowin.  As a privately owned site, outside of US jurisdiction - I've seen a few idiots and trolls post nonsense and then attempt to hide behind their US rights.  Do they apply here?  Or is Neobond's word, the final say here (as I assume it is and should be).

Best Answer Eric , 10 February 2014 - 00:43

The above is correct. There will be no repercussions from the government for what you say. We are not the U.S. government. :)

We do have our own rules, though. Everyone still has the right to petition for redress of grievances, appeals, etc, but they are at the discretion of the admins and site owners. Go to the full post

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:34

A troll is a troll and is dealt with accordingly.

#3 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:37

Agreed, however, I am intrigued by the subject this raised.  The assertion that someone feels their opinion and free-speech is protected by a legal clause that being a citizen of a nation state affords - I think that's either arrogant of ignorant, and possibly a clarification can be helpful.  I've seen such posts a few times, and linking to this could clear up said issue.

#4 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:38

The first amendment only means the government can't punish you for speaking your opinions; it does not apply to private web sites like Neowin.

#5 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:40

Agreed, however, I am intrigued by the subject this raised.  The assertion that someone feels their opinion and free-speech is protected by a legal clause that being a citizen of a nation state affords - I think that's either arrogant of ignorant, and possibly a clarification can be helpful.  I've seen such posts a few times, and linking to this could clear up said issue.

Thrackerzod is correct, nobody's entitled to post whatever they want on Neowin, all the first amendment really says is that the government can't stop you from speaking your mind.

EDIT: Although I get how some people might point to the first amendment as an example of how a system like Neowin "should be run," but that has absolutely no legal holding, it's just them saying what they think is more "moral."

Edited by Matthew_Thepc, 10 February 2014 - 00:42.

#6 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:43   Best Answer

The above is correct. There will be no repercussions from the government for what you say. We are not the U.S. government. :)

We do have our own rules, though. Everyone still has the right to petition for redress of grievances, appeals, etc, but they are at the discretion of the admins and site owners.

#7 OP +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:44

all the first amendment really says is that the government can't stop you from speaking your mind

True.  A lot of people misunderstand (deliberately at times) their own national rules.

#8 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8.0.2

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:53

Thank the lord that America doesnt own Neowin. 
I couldnt imagine this website run by bunch of loons who are all 'me me me me america f**k yea'

That would drive me nuts :/

Oh and on that note, im free to say this without repercussion - get stuffed NSA :D

#9 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:55

I couldnt imagine this website run by bunch of loons who are all 'me me me me america f**k yea'

Oh and on that note, im free to say this without repercussion - get stuffed NSA :D

That would kinda stink. We have staff members from all over the world.

And yeah, the NSA does kinda suck. :)

#10 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:15

The people who try to claim First Amendment rights on internet forums should at least read the first five words of the law that they are trying to hide behind.

#11 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:24

People have whined about that for years on websites that they sign up for and consequently agree to the rules of.  If Steve wanted to ban the word 'blue' he's well within his rights to.  This is not a public place, it's a membership based website.

#12 Brendeth

Brendeth

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:29

Imagine if it was run by Australian's.

'F**k off we're bloody full mate" :p

#13 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:34

Really? I think for the most part you would see that not to be the case. It drives me nuts that most of the time its other nationalities trying to convince me their way of life is best for me..

#14 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

People have whined about that for years on websites that they sign up for and consequently agree to the rules of.  If Steve wanted to ban the word 'blue' he's well within his rights to.  This is not a public place, it's a membership based website.

^ This. We are a private website and it is similar to when you are invited to someone's house for a party. If you get drunk, pee on the floor and barf on the plants, you will be asked to leave. :punk: :beer:

#15 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

I only see those who don't live here saying stuff like that.