10-year-old girl drives SUV into Denver DMV office

PARKER, Colo. - Police say a 10-year-old girl put her mom?s SUV into gear and drove it into a Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles office in Parker.

The crash occurred around 2 p.m. at the DMV office at 17924 Cottonwood Dr.

Emergency crews said no injuries were reported.

Parker Police Sgt. Andy Coleman told 7NEWS that a mother parked her GMC Envoy outside the DMV office with the engine off and the keys in the ignition, and left her two daughters, ages 12 and 10, inside as she entered the building to conduct her business.

Coleman said that?s when the 10-year-old girl slid into the driver?s seat, started the SUV and put the vehicle into gear.

The SUV rolled slowly through the front glass window of the office until the mother was able to open the driver?s side door and jump in to stop it from moving and causing further damage.

Coleman said the child was cited for careless driving.

The DMV office suffered no major structural damage but it's unclear when it will reopen.

source

10 years old is well old enough to understand how to operate (or how to not operate) a vehicle.

Obviously this child is mischievous.

Mischievous? She's a little <bleep!> who needs her ass tanned!

I notice no one here is blaming the Mother for stupidly leaving the keys in the car!

You should be able to leave your keys in your car with your own 10 and 12 year old children... Windows up, doors locked, air/heat, radio, etc.

My mother wouldn't hesitate to trust me with this, it was routine, and never resulted in a problem.

More like blame the mother for raising an uncontrollable child/fool.

• Like 1

10 years old is well old enough to understand how to operate (or how to not operate) a vehicle.

Obviously this child is mischievous.

I didn't drive until I was 13. :/

Shoot. I guess they'll take her license away now.

Being that it was not malicious i do not see that they would prevent her from getting it however, i have seen people when i was in high school be sited and not allowed to get their license until they were 21 and on one occasion i saw a girl who was texting get her license revoked for life. (she hit a kid, who survived but broke a lot of bones)