fusion laser energy fuel hydrogen

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,588 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 00:46

And the US Navy has continued R&D on the Polywell through 2014. The current work is on electron injection.

#17 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,884 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 00:52

It always worries me that they'll accidentally create a star and kill us all. Mind you, I'm completely ignorant to the feasibility of that happening and I don't research anything, at all, to calm my nerves about it. ...I guess I like to worry about it. 

#18 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,021 posts
  • Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 13 February 2014 - 00:57

It always worries me that they'll accidentally create a star and kill us all. Mind you, I'm completely ignorant to the feasibility of that happening and I don't research anything, at all, to calm my nerves about it. ...I guess I like to worry about it. 

I was reading a book by Bill Bryson, it came out years ago and he talked about the Hadron Collider that at that point was still being built, I love his humour, when he talks about a black hole being created etc he dryly adds "If you're reading this, that hasn't happened yet".

#19 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,500 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:18

Uh, no, not possible at all.

Real life fusion reactions aren't like the ones from Spider Man, they're not a miniature sun burning away, they're just clouds of plasma in a metal tube (Which, if we're not very careful, dissipate, they're not and cant be runaway reactions).

#20 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,440 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:29

Great, now who has $500,000 to build a Fusion Power Plant? At least that's what it cost in Sim City 2000.

You mean $40k right?

#21 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,884 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:55

Uh, no, not possible at all.

Real life fusion reactions aren't like the ones from Spider Man, they're not a miniature sun burning away, they're just clouds of plasma in a metal tube (Which, if we're not very careful, dissipate, they're not and cant be runaway reactions).

I'm not sure if this is a relief or if I feel upset that my imagination can no longer run wild.

#22 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,090 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:14

i bet portable fusion bomb would readily available before functional fusion power plants became norm worldwide.

#23 crispkreme

crispkreme

Neowinian

• 498 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:27

i bet portable fusion bomb would readily available before functional fusion power plants became norm worldwide.

Uhh? http://en.wikipedia....onuclear_weapon

#24 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,090 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:29

we already have successful test of H-Bomb, but it wasn't "portable"/miniaturized, yet.

#25 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,188 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:46

Iphone 75C announced with Fusion Reactor technology.

#26 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,588 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:36

we already have successful test of H-Bomb, but it wasn't "portable"/miniaturized, yet.

The W80 physics package is pretty portable, as are others. The NIF's unspoken second function is to develop tiny pure fusion device, meaning no fission device as the trigger.

W80
601px-W80_nuclear_warhead.jpg

#27 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,497 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:48

Does anyone believe the end result will be cheap power??

whether or not it's cheap. it'll be nearly limitless for our purposes and with almost no pollution.

#28 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,497 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:53

the fusion bomb uses a normal plutonium explosion to produce the necessary heat and compression normally needed for fusion. What they are attempting to do is to create a device that uses fusion to produce more energy than is put into it.

this kid created a simple fusion reactor

the thing is, is that it uses more energy than it creates.

#29 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,096 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:19

Nice. So maybe in a decade Fusion Plant will be available and get rid of Nuclear power plants.

No, even if you are optimistic, commercial fusion plants are something you could expect to see in 2050 (and that is really optimistic).

The current goal for example is to start testing ITER for real by 2030. It will take about a decade just to do base testing (plasma injection en containing it)

edit: of course all that could change if we really really need it and start pouring money into it

#30 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,588 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:22

With fusion power yous still need fission reactors to produce deuterium, tritium and possibly other fuels, and it's quite possible that fission power used alone will still be more economical.