Why do people not shut down PC's?

Did not affect the battery?

Depends on what model you have...  

As what snaphat says...  it may or may not affect the battery..   if battery is full, it won't charge depends on what type of the battery pack you have.

I don't care if it is killing the battery .. if that happens, I can get a replacement battery pack.  I have other laptops that I can use battery for short time for quick look up or whatever. If I want to surf for long period of time, I can use a primary laptop.

I would shut it down if it Windows 8.1 wouldn't freeze on startup.

I use sleep instead. It starts up in around 2 seconds or so.

All the people shouting "laziness" need to get a clue and realize its 2014. We have power features now that render a full shutdown obsolete.

Not obsolete, but less significant.

lol Hum has a good reason as most ppl including myself do that...

Here's the real reason why I left my PC on 24/7.

1. Server

2. Torrent :shiftyninja: lol

3. Electronic equipment longer life.  From my experience electronic equipment last longer because when you turn on and off a lot, the caps on the board will face with electrical jolts that tear down or degrade it when electricity is going in full load and then stop and then full load again and then stop.  Repeating that can cause the caps to go bad.  It burn out or explode internally.  This is not a myth.

I don't even put my computer to sleep. I just shut the monitor(s) off.

Yup.  Same here.  My monitor is set to turn itself off when there's no computer activity/interaction.  I once went to France for one full month and had my computer on 24/7 just so that I can log in my server and grab stuff in my computer.

But others have said things like "technology has improved". Can anyone really justify comments like that? Does anyone buy a technological product these days and expect it to last several years? Most products seem to deteriorate faster now than what they use to. So yes, power consumption might be next to nothing, but do people really trust the manufacturers to design equipment to last? I point people to the interesting comment about laptop batteries. If one left a laptop on 24/7, what would be the implications of that?

Yes, I have two builds that have lasted 5+ years.

I can't stand it when people are done using Notebook Computers and decide that since they are so lazy, they'll just close them up rather than shut the Notebooks down, then close them up and put them away!  :crazy: Gets on my nerves. 

1- FTPS server running for whenever I need to get access to my files from anywhere (even from the phone) securely.

2- Remote desktop to vm.

3- Even if I have an SSD I don't want to wait to use the pc when back home. My 2nd pc also is on 24h a day and my laptop is always on sleep even if this one has an SSD also.

4- On winter in the pc room I don't need to turn on the heat since the pc keeps the room warm

Instead of targeting home users, look at many University libraries and computer labs that leave all computers on whole day and night. Most of the computers are not even set to turn off the display after a period of inactivity! Also look at showrooms selling home and office lighting, many of them leave all the lights on for display even when they are closed for business. In India all ATM's are kept in a room with a security guard outside; that one small room containing 2 or 3 ATM machines will have at least one air-conditioner running 24/7, sometimes even two units!

At home, I do a full shutdown because I do not have anything that requires my home computer to be running all day and, most importantly, I do not have the urge to immediately access it to check E-mails/Websites and what not: I have patience. 

That is probably a force of habit, I suppose I could do with an hibernate but since it boots quickly, I cannot quantify the advantages.

At work, I leave my workstation always on because I often prepare time consuming build jobs for the night and it is part of a distributed build system along the office.

In the end, it all depends on the usage made by an individual with his/her computers.

I'm impatient. I want to stay connected to IRC. I leave music playing on my PC all night. I don't shut down unless I have an OS update that requires me to do so.

I thought SSD were not supposed to be "slept"?

I shut down because it may only be ?1 a year leaving it on, but that ?1 I'd rather spend on a large chocolate bar or drink...

Plus, I am simply not a wasteful person.  A PC being on doing nothing for me may as well be off.  SSD boots in under 20 seconds so I can wait that long while I turn the speakers on behind me.

• Like 2

I shut any/all computers off every day and always have. Never have really figured out the sense in even letting it sleep for days, but then again, I have 9 computers in house too!

I can handle waiting a few seconds to boot and haven't ever experienced an issue from " mecanical stress" related isisues.

Not that I'm all green or a hippie, but just a habit of shutting things off when I'm done with it. If I know I'm going to get back on a computer and have had it on previously, I will put it to sleep until then.

Don't live on my computer or cell phone, so what the heck, shut it down. :)

I used to never shut my PC down; I just put it to sleep.  But since coming back to the States, it kind of wigs out sometimes when I resume from sleep, so I've started turning it off.  I have an SSD, so boot times are about 10 seconds.

I always shut mine down at night, no point it being on if I'm asleep, If there is a reason to keep it on then I'll just activate sleep timer to kick in 1h after download/whatever is due to finish.

Uptime directly correlates with penis size. Thought everybody knew this!?

In which case a lot of posters in this thread have very small penises.

... I mean that's the correlation you were referring to, correct?